New Icon

elipio

秀才
I'm so happy you went off the red/paper background/handwriting symbol icon. Although I do recognize the right of the creators of an app to change it whichever way they please....
I love the new/old icon, personally don't think the "waves" background stand out too much...
And I can assure you, Michael, that Pleco icon stands out nicely on my iPad 3 front page;-))
Can't wait to see the update and all the new "toys"
Best
Pete

Eddy

举人
I've just been comparing the initial icon design to the final icon design and I must say I like the final a lot.

Some points I like: it's simple and straightforward (not as busy as the first design), it builds upon earlier brand/icon awareness built up over the years (less radical departure than first design), blue is a more unique colour in my view than red for a Chinese language themed app, and the calligraphy actually comes out nicely. The wavy pattern in the background is a nice touch. I still have to warm somewhat to the metal though.

cheers

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Eddy said:
Some points I like: it's simple and straightforward (not as busy as the first design), it builds upon earlier brand/icon awareness built up over the years (less radical departure than first design), blue is a more unique colour in my view than red for a Chinese language themed app, and the calligraphy actually comes out nicely. The wavy pattern in the background is a nice touch. I still have to warm somewhat to the metal though.

Thanks! The current design was actually intended to be metal too, that just didn't come through as clearly before - subtle texturing is a very big deal on iOS icons now, makes it clear that this is a high-end / professional app and helps you stand out in the search results.

Vzzzbx

进士
The new app icon is great. Instantly recognisable as Pleco, and the background texture would look spectacular on retina screens.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Vzzzbx said:
The new app icon is great. Instantly recognisable as Pleco, and the background texture would look spectacular on retina screens.

Thanks! (and it does, yes - that's part of the reason the "swirls" are so dramatic at this size, in App Store search results they use a scaled-down version of your big icon rather than a dedicated small one so you need them to be very prominent in the big icon in order to be visible at all when scaled down)

Vzzzbx

进士
Yep, professional-looking in order to stand out from the crowd, as you said earlier. I imagine many of your paying customers have found Pleco via word-of-mouth, but even then, a top-notch icon will always make a huge first impression (not that the current icon is bad, of course).