PDF bookmarks have disappeared

PDF bookmarks are no longer showing when I open a file in the document reader. It just happened a few days ago and I have the same issue on both the iPhone and iPad. Can anyone help with this?

The bookmark icon still exists but when I tap it the list of bookmarks that I used to see has vanished and all I see is the "Go to page..." option. I have many pdf files which were created with these bookmarks and the problem is the same for all that I've tried.

I notice that the page thumbnails at the bottom of the screen are also not working. They can be seen but I can't use them to scroll through the document.
These have been very useful functions for me and I really want to get them working again. Any suggestions?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Disappearing bookmarks - did you have the same bookmarks on both devices? If you share one of these files with iBooks and open it there, do the bookmarks show up correctly in that?

Thumbnails - that's odd, those still seem to be working OK here. What model of iOS device do you have and what version of iOS is it running? Is this happening on both your iPhone and your iPad?

Thanks. I have an iPhone 7 running iOS 13.7 and an iPad mini 2 running iOS 12.4.8

I tried looking at identical files on both devices and neither of them showed bookmarks. As suggested, I shared the file to iBooks and the bookmarks all appeared and worked correctly.

On the iPad the thumbnails are not responsive to touch at all. Another difference is that I used to swipe the pdf pages left or right to go forwards or backwards in the document. Now this does not work and instead I have to swipe up or down. All these changes happened at the same time.

On the iPhone the thumbnails do work as normal and I still swipe left and right to change pages.

Any advice would be very welcome
Thank you

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... what versions of Pleco are you running on both of those? Can you check the App Store "Updates" tab to make sure you have the latest ones?

Regarding left-right swiping - is "vertically scroll PDFs" turned on in Settings / Reader? (doesn't mean you accidentally turned it on, that might have happened on our end)

I checked on the app store for both devices but neither indicate that an update is available.
On the iPhone I have version 3.2.53
On the iPad the "About Pleco Chinese Dictionary" section in the settings states that it is version 3.2.54, but in the app store it says 3.2.53.

I also looked in the iPad reader settings and the vertically scroll PDFs function is not turned on.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm, 3.2.54 was on phased rollout but it should be complete now - could you double check again if there's an update available? Also, could you reboot your iPad? (in case some part of the update somehow didn't load correctly)

The bookmark problem we can reproduce but we can't seem to figure out what's going on with the vertical scrolling or swipe bar issues - hopefully a correctly installed update will fix the former at least.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
OK, I think we've traced the vertical scrolling and swipe issues to bugs in iOS 12, so we should be able to work around them now.

Bookmark fix is sorted out too (for our next update).

Thanks for the feedback.

Hmm, 3.2.54 was on phased rollout but it should be complete now - could you double check again if there's an update available? Also, could you reboot your iPad? (in case some part of the update somehow didn't load correctly)

The bookmark problem we can reproduce but we can't seem to figure out what's going on with the vertical scrolling or swipe bar issues - hopefully a correctly installed update will fix the former at least.
I rebooted the iPad but nothing changed – same issues with pdf bookmarks and scrolling.
I've looked in the app store and there's no update on offer. It gives the following info: "Version History – 6d ago – Version 3.2.54"

Anyway, if these issues are resolved with the next update that will be very welcome.
Thank you for your support and for all your work on the app. It's much appreciated

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
OK, bug fix update (with this and a few other things like @Shun's issue clicking links on Baidu) already approved (very quickly!) so should show up in the Updates screen in a few minutes.

OK, bug fix update (with this and a few other things like @Shun's issue clicking links on Baidu) already approved (very quickly!) so should show up in the Updates screen in a few minutes.
That's definitely fixed the pdf scrolling issue, brilliant!
The pdf bookmarks are still not working so I assume that will be resolved in a future update?
Thanks again