Pleco for Android Beta 3 Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sthubbar said:
Mike,

I think I have encountered what appears to be a "special feature" in Pleco Android.

Seems my phone got into a repetitive loop when loading Pleco and data was in the clipboard.

I see the following message, as the screen continuously refreshes showing the clipboard content. I can't get to the location in the message because as soon as I try to go to Menu, the screen refreshes. Even after leaving Pleco this message still remains on the phone screen for some time.

"Clipboard Monitor active: got to menu/Settings/General/Startup to diable"

We've had a few other reports of this, actually - should be fixed in the new beta. Thanks.

markoshun

秀才
Giraffe said:
So yesterday I had a minor disaster. I thought I'd try reinstalling Pleco from scratch to see if it would solve my problem with not being able to review the incorrect cards from tests. This turned out to be a bad idea.

I exported my flashcards before I started, uninstalled Pleco, and then redownloaded and reinstalled everything.

But when I imported my cards, I found that the card statistics weren't there. I had all the cards, but I'd entirely lost the history, meaning that I now have to build my history all over again. I'm quite certain that the option to include stats was enabled when I did my export, so it seems like somewhere there must be a fairly significant bug.

I took a look at the XML and it seemed like the history might actually be there. I'm wondering if I should trying importing it again. I've attached the file for reference

:(

Hi, following this discussion with interest as I have had the same problem with not being tested on incorrect answers at the end of session, even though I transferred everything exactly out of my iPod. (The two devises even offered the same test words for a couple days so I know the stats followed the new install)
I checked and rechecked the settings, the end-of-session settings seem to be set to offer the incorrect words, but they just don't show up. It just offers a new list of all the cards in whatever category I'm on.
It seems Giraffe, as above, was able to solve this problem by a complete reinstall. What is the best way to go about this? And is this a recommended solution?
Thanks, I use this function a lot to learn. So I can't let go of the iPod until I get this working.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
markoshun said:
Hi, following this discussion with interest as I have had the same problem with not being tested on incorrect answers at the end of session, even though I transferred everything exactly out of my iPod. (The two devises even offered the same test words for a couple days so I know the stats followed the new install)
I checked and rechecked the settings, the end-of-session settings seem to be set to offer the incorrect words, but they just don't show up. It just offers a new list of all the cards in whatever category I'm on.
It seems Giraffe, as above, was able to solve this problem by a complete reinstall. What is the best way to go about this? And is this a recommended solution?
Thanks, I use this function a lot to learn. So I can't let go of the iPod until I get this working.

Not a recommended solution as I'm not sure if it even worked for Giraffe... try this: create a brand new profile (via "Manage Profiles"), configure that new profile to repeat incorrect, set it to test a small # of cards, and don't change any other settings, then run through the session - does that display incorrect cards at the end like it's supposed to?

mike, having a few more issues with the flashcard program. i am in organize cards and in a specific category. i scroll through and it stops and forces closed at the exact same location everytime. i changed the max number of cards from 100 to 200 thinking that may be the problem but it did not help
thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dahuailang said:
mike, having a few more issues with the flashcard program. i am in organize cards and in a specific category. i scroll through and it stops and forces closed at the exact same location everytime. i changed the max number of cards from 100 to 200 thinking that may be the problem but it did not help
thanks

Could you send me your crash log? You can get that with the free aLogcat utility, from Android Market or directly downloadable online at http://code.google.com/p/alogcat/downloads/list.

markoshun

秀才
mikelove said:
markoshun said:

Not a recommended solution as I'm not sure if it even worked for Giraffe... try this: create a brand new profile (via "Manage Profiles"), configure that new profile to repeat incorrect, set it to test a small # of cards, and don't change any other settings, then run through the session - does that display incorrect cards at the end like it's supposed to?

Yes! Works great, thanks.
Been messing about on and off since I bought the Android version. But one question to you and I'm off and running again. :D
Seems I need to go deeper into the program in learning about Profiles and Scorefiles. (Been meaning to anyway as I'm heading back to class in January. Pleco is such a comprehensive and amazing program.)
But what should I do now? Is it okay to just do this work-around and carry on?
The new Beta 5 won't fix this particular problem I assume?
Thanks again for a great program and definitely the best support of any product I know of.
Mark

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
markoshun said:
Yes! Works great, thanks.
Been messing about on and off since I bought the Android version. But one question to you and I'm off and running again. :D
Seems I need to go deeper into the program in learning about Profiles and Scorefiles. (Been meaning to anyway as I'm heading back to class in January. Pleco is such a comprehensive and amazing program.)
But what should I do now? Is it okay to just do this work-around and carry on?

Sure, but all this really did was start you off with a clean set of profile settings, so it's possible that whatever setting you changed that made Repeat Incorrect stop working will continue to cause problems if you change it again. Could you possibly send me a copy of your flashcard database? We can look through your profile settings and hopefully figure out which one is screwing up Repeat Incorrect. You can find that in /sdcard/Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files/databases.

markoshun said:
The new Beta 5 won't fix this particular problem I assume?

No, but the next beta might...

Don't know whether anyone has reported it yet, but when I use my volume control while using Pleco it increases my phone volume and not the media volume (don't whether this is the correct terminology, I'm using Android in German). I always have my phone (HTC Desire S, Android 2.3.5.) switched on vibrate and I'd rather change the media volume instead. Thanks, Michael.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
burdenofhope said:
Don't know whether anyone has reported it yet, but when I use my volume control while using Pleco it increases my phone volume and not the media volume (don't whether this is the correct terminology, I'm using Android in German). I always have my phone (HTC Desire S, Android 2.3.5.) switched on vibrate and I'd rather change the media volume instead. Thanks, Michael.

That should be fixed in Beta 5 - let me know if you're still seeing it.