Pleco for Android Beta 5 Bug Report Thread

Samsung OCR bug

"Fixed a bug that frequently caused OCR to return useless / incorrect results on the Samsung Galaxy SII."

This bug just happened again on my Samsung Galaxy Note. I haven't tested on my S2. Killing and restarting Pleco didn't fix it. Rebooting my device fixed it.
 
Samsung "false start" bug

This bug is still happening frequently on my Samsung Galaxy Note: launch Pleco from home screen, get about 5-8 seconds of black, then return to the home screen without Pleco starting.

It's particularly bad because the all black screen locks up the device entirely. You can't just hit the home button and get out of it, but have to wait the full 5-8 seconds.

I'm virtually certain that the bug never happens the first time Pleco is launched after a reboot.
 

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges said:
It only showed one file after the update to beta 5, the last one I had been looking at. That one wasn't the one with bookmarks. I've since reopened 3 or 4 files (mostly to see it working). No bookmarks anywhere. It's not a big deal. Might be more of a deal in the next upgrade, once I get used to it. I'll have to look and see if there's a way to export/backup the bookmarks and file list, etc.
They're in a file in "databases" IIRC - should be easy enough to back up. Though I'm not sure why they might have gone missing... any chance you might have deleted some files in the course of upgrading?

paraibologo said:
Hi, Mike. Stupid number 1 here. I launched the apk but had trouble downloading the 24.5mb file so decided to leave it for afterwards. But i forgot to read the instructions on how to do so. Even more stupidly, I relaunched the .apk twice to see if I could try downloading thowe through pleco again. Apparently :? that hasn't affected anything. At least I hope so. Could you shed some light? Also, why aren't the updates for those 3 apps done internally through pleco?
There's an option to forget your selection / prompt to download again on next restart which you can enable via Settings / General. The updates for those should be done internally (it's actually the same system) but we wanted to get some more testing of the code for downloading files on startup and this seemed like a good way to do it :)

dahuailang said:
I moved this issue to the beta 5 post since i updated to the latest version to see if took care of the problem. I am still having the issue of being in organize cards, in a specific category, scrolling and then going into a forced close situation. However this time i attached the log file as requested. I am kind of unfamiliar with the logging process. Hopefully i got it right, thanks
Could you send me your flashcard database file? (it's in sdcard/Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files/databases) And let me know which category it is? Unfortunately the crash log isn't shedding much light on this.

bomze said:
Hey guys. Just installed Beta 5 on Samsung i9000, CyanogenMode. The 3d one worked well. But the 5th got some trouble: when you input a hieroglyph, almost all screen becomes black with only little white area on the right upper corner. When you press the corner whole screen becomes clear and you can read a word article. I tried to take a screenshot but strangely the screenshot are OK, you can read article without some dark area on it.
Thanks - we got your screenshot email too. Should be easy to reproduce here, though it may be a CM-specific bug.

dahuailang said:
When i am in the flashcard program and practicing, i go to the writing screen and I am experiencing a forced close. I have attached the log, thanks
Could you let me know the exact steps to reproduce this? Do you just open up the writing screen and then close it? Is the system info in your "quick poll" post still accurate regarding OS version etc?

skripp said:
I'm having the same problem as bomze. After writing a character and going to the definition list, most of the screen (the part with the definitions, at least) becomes black. You can still click on the items, but you can't see them. If you chose an item the problem goes away and if you press back you can see the entire list. Same thing if you turn of the screen and turn it on again, magically works again.

Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc with Cyanogenmod 7.2
Is this a stable version of CM7.2 or a nightly build?

Shadowdh said:
ok was playing around with the file explorer on my phone and discovered that pleco now uses my external sdcard as the source and that the files are NOT in that part which I am rectifying now... so will prob be fixed when I put the files in the right folder oopsie :oops:
Ah, that explains it... could you check your settings to see if the setting value for that was reset? That'll tell us whether the problem was a changed setting or a bug in our startup code that's causing it to look for files in the wrong place.

skripp said:
I don't know if this is a bug or a "feature", but my custom font is not used in the reader module.
But it's used elsewhere? Is this the clipboard reader or a longer text file?

burdenofhope said:
When I use the OCR Launcher, look for something and then close Pleco, the OCR Reader still comes up first thing when I want to open Pleco normally. Don't know if it's intended.
Shouldn't be, sounds like something weird going on with the intent system... thanks!

benzhen said:
the volume key scroll, while a very welcomed addition, overshoots by about half a line. the line of text that is off the screen before clicking with the volume key ends up being cut off after the scroll.
Ah, quite right - thanks!

benzhen said:
also when using the Reader shortcut, it only works if you have used the back button to exit the app. So if you hit home directly from the reader and hit the Reader shortcut to reenter, you get the dictionary screen.
Yeah, I'm seeing that too... the code for those launcher apps is still a little buggy, it seems. (we're doing some slightly unconventional Activity-management things with them)

benzhen said:
*edit*: The auto-bookmarking feature is rather buggy. I had this issue in beta 3. Sometimes, and this especially happens if i dont back out of the reader, my most current spot is forgotten and it goes back to my last saved position. sometimes it goes back to the beginning. i'm not very knowledgeable about android development but i think it has something to do with different events triggering the save function. like instead of saving only on exit, it needs to save on lose focus or whatever as well.
We actually updated it so that it would do exactly that, so I'm surprised it's still not working... what model of device / version of Android are you using?

benzhen said:
also it would be nice that when you hit open file, you end up back in the directory you were just in, not the root of the sd.
Good idea, thanks.

JimmyTheSaint said:
This bug just happened again on my Samsung Galaxy Note. I haven't tested on my S2. Killing and restarting Pleco didn't fix it. Rebooting my device fixed it.
Try going into Settings / OCR / Live OCR and setting "Camera orientation" under "Orientation Settings" to "Camera Natural" and "Screen Orientation" to "Always Landscape" - does it work correctly then? (Samsung's engineers appear to have written the drivers for the cameras on their non-phone devices in the midst of a night of heavy drinking)

JimmyTheSaint said:
This bug is still happening frequently on my Samsung Galaxy Note: launch Pleco from home screen, get about 5-8 seconds of black, then return to the home screen without Pleco starting.
Could you send me a crash log again?
 

Shadowdh

状元
mikelove said:
Shadowdh said:
ok was playing around with the file explorer on my phone and discovered that pleco now uses my external sdcard as the source and that the files are NOT in that part which I am rectifying now... so will prob be fixed when I put the files in the right folder oopsie :oops:
Ah, that explains it... could you check your settings to see if the setting value for that was reset? That'll tell us whether the problem was a changed setting or a bug in our startup code that's causing it to look for files in the wrong place.
looking at the settings for storage it seems that it is now storing the files on the ext sd card, before it was not allowing me to do that for some reason and I could not get it to work... but from the start its storing them on the ext sd card with beta 5 which is good so it kept my custom storage setting but now allows me to use the ext sd card... one last question is the one I asked above... is the 17.2 or 12.8mb p2cedict-extindex.pdb file the latest? due to me moving files about they both have the same date on them :D
 
Hi Mike! So there is no difference between installing from those 3 separate apks and just uploading internally? Or is there?
 

skripp

举人
mikelove said:
skripp said:
I don't know if this is a bug or a "feature", but my custom font is not used in the reader module.
But it's used elsewhere? Is this the clipboard reader or a longer text file?

?
Is there a difference between clipboard reader and text reader? I click on the reader and no matter if there is text in the clipboard or if I chose "open file" the default android font is used. In the actual dictionary my custom font is used throughout. It's also used in the flashcard module and OCR module.
 

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Shadowdh said:
looking at the settings for storage it seems that it is now storing the files on the ext sd card, before it was not allowing me to do that for some reason and I could not get it to work... but from the start its storing them on the ext sd card with beta 5 which is good so it kept my custom storage setting but now allows me to use the ext sd card... one last question is the one I asked above... is the 17.2 or 12.8mb p2cedict-extindex.pdb file the latest? due to me moving files about they both have the same date on them :D
The 12.8 one is actually newer - we tweaked the indexing to make it smaller so we could make it part of the bundle of files we download on startup.

paraibologo said:
Hi Mike! So there is no difference between installing from those 3 separate apks and just uploading internally? Or is there?
No, each APK works the same regardless of how you get it onto your system.

Marc Vermeiren said:
On the Xoom: Flashcards>Review Flashcards>(Test type Self-graded)Begin Test Session>brush icon produces a Force Close
Quite right - actually seems to potentially affect almost any device. Thanks.

skripp said:
Is there a difference between clipboard reader and text reader? I click on the reader and no matter if there is text in the clipboard or if I chose "open file" the default android font is used. In the actual dictionary my custom font is used throughout. It's also used in the flashcard module and OCR module.
They use two different UI controls - clipboard reader is a standard Android TextView while text reader is a proprietary one we developed ourselves to enable smooth scrolling through extremely long text files. But if it affects both of them then the setting must not be getting applied correctly to either one.
 
Mike, first of all my data is not on an sdcard and when I try to upload the file it says the file is empty

Also for the other issue I press "Review Flashcards" then "Begin Test Session" then "Press the paint brush key" then the Screen goes black and a message comes up saying "The application has stopped unexpectedly" then I press "Force Close" The screen goes back to the screen with "Review Flashcards". I still have the same operating system. Thanks.
 

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dahuailang said:
Mike, first of all my data is not on an sdcard and when I try to upload the file it says the file is empty
Well it must be lurking somewhere... any chance it's in sdcard/external_sd, or /emmc, or some other directory then?

dahuailang said:
Also for the other issue I press "Review Flashcards" then "Begin Test Session" then "Press the paint brush key" then the Screen goes black and a message comes up saying "The application has stopped unexpectedly" then I press "Force Close" The screen goes back to the screen with "Review Flashcards". I still have the same operating system. Thanks.
Thanks - Marc Vermeiren just mentioned that one and we've already fixed it for Beta 6.
 

Alexis

状元
I just updated to Beta 5 on my Acer Liquid E

In Add-Ons->Updated it lists "ABC English-Chinese Dictionary" and "ABC Chinese-English Dictionary":
If I click on "Download All", I get the screen "Sorry! The application Pleco (process com.pleco.chinesesystem) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."
If I click on the individual items, they download fine.

Also after downloading them, I think they installed, but I am not sure. They always show up under "Updated" with the message "Download Complete". My device screen went off during the C-E install, when I rewoke it, the Install appeared to be stuck and the pause button didn't work. When I went to "back", then it showed as "Download complete"
 

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
I just updated to Beta 5 on my Acer Liquid E

In Add-Ons->Updated it lists "ABC English-Chinese Dictionary" and "ABC Chinese-English Dictionary":
If I click on "Download All", I get the screen "Sorry! The application Pleco (process com.pleco.chinesesystem) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."
If I click on the individual items, they download fine.
That's odd... we're seeing the bug that keeps them from downloading correctly, but it looks like it causes the system to simply not download them at all, not to crash. Could you send me a crash log? (you can generate that using aLogcat, available from Android Market or from this page)

Alexis said:
Also after downloading them, I think they installed, but I am not sure. They always show up under "Updated" with the message "Download Complete". My device screen went off during the C-E install, when I rewoke it, the Install appeared to be stuck and the pause button didn't work. When I went to "back", then it showed as "Download complete"
Yeah, the thinking on that is that people will go back into the add-ons screen and check whatever tab they initiated the download from to see if it's completed yet, so we shouldn't remove anything from the queue until they actually reopen Pleco. It might be better if we just removed them once they've downloaded, though.
 

Alexis

状元
mikelove said:
That's odd... we're seeing the bug that keeps them from downloading correctly, but it looks like it causes the system to simply not download them at all, not to crash. Could you send me a crash log? (you can generate that using aLogcat, available from Android Market or from this page)
At first, clicking on the button seems to do nothing. So, I clicked on 'reload', then clicked on the "download all" button, which caused the crash. I will send the crashlog by email.

Another crash: When I click on a character to get the pop-up definition, then switch from portrait to landscape mode, pleco crashes.
 

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
mikelove said:
That's odd... we're seeing the bug that keeps them from downloading correctly, but it looks like it causes the system to simply not download them at all, not to crash. Could you send me a crash log? (you can generate that using aLogcat, available from Android Market or from this page)
At first, clicking on the button seems to do nothing. So, I clicked on 'reload', then clicked on the "download all" button, which caused the crash. I will send the crashlog by email.
OK, thanks!

Alexis said:
Another crash: When I click on a character to get the pop-up definition, then switch from portrait to landscape mode, pleco crashes.
Yeah, I'm seeing that too... not sure how we missed it but should be easy to fix for Beta 6, thanks!
 

eemeli

Member
This is still related to the issue of my post here: http://www.plecoforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2734&p=22579#p22579

Ever since beta 3 there has been no way to set the orientation correctly on my Android 2.2 Huawei IDEOS X5. The camera orientation settings in setting / OCR / Live Video OCR Settings / Orientation Settings do not seem to change anything. I tried this:

1) set screen orientation to "Always Portrait"
2) set camera orientation to "Default"
3) tap the back button until back in the dictionary view
4) tap the ocr icon (looks like a camera)
5) the result is in the file ocr_defaul.jpg
6) tap the back button to go back to dictionary view
7) repeat steps 2-6 with different camera orientations
 

Attachments

Alexis

状元
When I am in OCR mode with Pleco, I set up the desired size for the green recognition box, only to have the size reset when I (unintentionally) switch from portrait to landscape mode and back again. Would it be possible to keep a memory of the recognition box size so that when you switch orientation and back it stays the same size as it previously was in that orientation.

Also, for the green recognition box, would it be possible to add resizing dots to the middle of the lines to control only horizontal/vertical movement (respectively), and make the corner dots control only proportional resizing? I often find that I end up resizing the box in both directions when I only meant to do it in one direction.
 
Hello Pleco:

Long, long-time Palm OS user here who just upgraded to Android version (Gingerbread 2.3.3). I just want to report a minor bug. In the Beta 3 and Beta 5 versions, when I touch the Pleco icon, the screen zooms to black as if the program was about to start. Suddenly, however, it zooms back to the Android home screen as if nothing happened. I touch the Pleco icon again and it starts up without problem. It is not a major problem, but I was wondering whether this bug could be fixed and/or I need to adjust my settings, etc. Thanks.
 

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dahuailang said:
Still trying to attach the flashcard database. It is giving me a "the extension pqb is not allowed.
Sorry about that - should be fixed now, though you could also just send it to me as a PM.

Alexis said:
When I am in OCR mode with Pleco, I set up the desired size for the green recognition box, only to have the size reset when I (unintentionally) switch from portrait to landscape mode and back again. Would it be possible to keep a memory of the recognition box size so that when you switch orientation and back it stays the same size as it previously was in that orientation.
Yes, good idea - thanks!

Alexis said:
Also, for the green recognition box, would it be possible to add resizing dots to the middle of the lines to control only horizontal/vertical movement (respectively), and make the corner dots control only proportional resizing? I often find that I end up resizing the box in both directions when I only meant to do it in one direction.
That one's actually problematic because we also let you tap on characters in the middle of the box to select them (when paused) - we can get away with letting you do that and tap on corners, but supporting edges too makes it a lot harder to disambiguate what you're trying to tap on. I suppose we could support it when the box is active (not paused), though, but the bug-inducing potential of that is serious enough that we probably need to wait for a post-finished-version release to do that now.

macktheknife said:
Long, long-time Palm OS user here who just upgraded to Android version (Gingerbread 2.3.3). I just want to report a minor bug. In the Beta 3 and Beta 5 versions, when I touch the Pleco icon, the screen zooms to black as if the program was about to start. Suddenly, however, it zooms back to the Android home screen as if nothing happened. I touch the Pleco icon again and it starts up without problem. It is not a major problem, but I was wondering whether this bug could be fixed and/or I need to adjust my settings, etc. Thanks.
Thanks - we've had a few other reports of this but haven't managed to fix it yet. Could you send me a crash log? You can generate one with the free aLogcat utility, available in Android Market or from this page as a direct APK download; run Pleco, then immediately run aLogcat, save out the full unfiltered log and email or PM me with it.
 

benzhen

进士
mikelove said:
benzhen said:
*edit*: The auto-bookmarking feature is rather buggy. I had this issue in beta 3. Sometimes, and this especially happens if i dont back out of the reader, my most current spot is forgotten and it goes back to my last saved position. sometimes it goes back to the beginning. i'm not very knowledgeable about android development but i think it has something to do with different events triggering the save function. like instead of saving only on exit, it needs to save on lose focus or whatever as well.
We actually updated it so that it would do exactly that, so I'm surprised it's still not working... what model of device / version of Android are you using?
Hi mike. I have the atrix 4g running cyanogen 7.1. The problem seems to be happening when other programs open up on top of the reader. the two i've had issues with are Widget Locker and GoSms. With WidgetLocker sometimes when i lock the phone directly from the reader screen, when i unlock it's back to the beginning of the file. With GoSMS it happened when i got an sms while in the Reader (which comes in as a pop-up) and then after replying, the document had reset back to the beginning.

It does seem that the problems before with remembering the position have been fixed, it't only the bug i described that is happening now.
 
Top