Problems with docx imports into latest Document Reader (Build .20)

Lucy C

Hi Mike

There seems to be an issue with Build 3.99.1.20 regarding docx documents and some Microsoft fonts (e.g., Microsoft YaHei, DengXian) When I try to import them into Pleco Reader, my iPad first says it cannot open the document. Eventually, the document opens in Pleco after some random attempts, but the font size is either too big or too small, and changing the document settings in Pleco does not help much. The document formatting is also distorted, and the figures are missing.
I do not recall having any of these problems in previous Beta builds. I use the Reader quite often.

The Legacy version works fine with the same docx files (the format is perfectly preserved, the illustrations are there, and all fonts are displayed correctly)

Apart from this, thanks for all the good work, it's looking good!
Best wishes

Lucy C

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Would it be possible for you to email me a file that demonstrates this problem? Honestly we haven’t changed anything related to this in the latest beta, but it’s possible that some combination of changes in 4.0 plus changes in a recent iOS update could be to blame.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I should add here that some of what you're describing sounds like the result of changes we made intentionally in 4.0 - documents like DOCX files and EPUBs that we previously displayed with the iOS web browser are now run through our own rich text system instead, since it's faster and less glitchy and makes it easier to support stuff like ruby / tone color annotations. It shouldn't be dropping images or distorting font sizes, but some more modest changes to formatting are normal.

We're pretty firm about keeping that new system for EPUBs, but we could consider adding an option to restore the old behavior for DOCX files, with the tradeoff of some of those new features not working.

Lucy C

Would it be possible for you to email me a file that demonstrates this problem? Honestly we haven’t changed anything related to this in the latest beta, but it’s possible that some combination of changes in 4.0 plus changes in a recent iOS update could be to blame.

Sorry I was out yesterday and couldn't reply earlier. I can't post a sample file (too big for a start), but you've probably already answered my question in your follow-up post. I thought the changes in my imported docx files were bugs, but it looks like more than that. I don't need another EPUB document reader and text is fine with me for most quick look ups, I hope that the text reader stays. Are you going to remove the Clipboard Reader too? I hope not!