Radical Dictionary & Flashcards - iOS/Android tested

adro

秀才
Re: Radical Dictionary & Flashcards - updated for 2.0

Hi, I can't seem to get the Radical dictionary to work on my iPhone. I uploaded like the instructions said but it does not appear as a dictionary...instead it stays as a greyed out file in my File Manager.

Any thoughts? It would be nice to have a radicals dictionary...

Thanks.

ldolse

状元

Guess I forgot about those steps - I wrote the instructions a while after I'd actually done the install. I think they're correct now, and I included a link to the manual just in case.

makingit

I'm pretty sure it's my ineptitude, but for some reason I'm not able to upload the user created radicals dictionary either.

I've got a 3rd gen iPod touch running version 2.2.1, and I've followed the directions to upload the dictionary, but I have the same problem as @adro in that once uploaded it shows up with a question marked icon and in faded grey. As well, I went back over the manual's directions, deleting and re-uploading the dictionary, then: Manage dicts > Add user > Load existing, then on my Documents screen, I've got nothing. It's probably the "activating the database" step that I'm not understanding.

Could there be a setting that I'm missing or shouldn't have checked? I'm open to any suggestions.
Thank you much.

ldolse

状元

makingit said:
I'm pretty sure it's my ineptitude, but for some reason I'm not able to upload the user created radicals dictionary either.

I've got a 3rd gen iPod touch running version 2.2.1, and I've followed the directions to upload the dictionary, but I have the same problem as @adro in that once uploaded it shows up with a question marked icon and in faded grey. As well, I went back over the manual's directions, deleting and re-uploading the dictionary, then: Manage dicts > Add user > Load existing, then on my Documents screen, I've got nothing. It's probably the "activating the database" step that I'm not understanding.

Could there be a setting that I'm missing or shouldn't have checked? I'm open to any suggestions.
Thank you much.

If you're not seeing anything when you go to 'Manage Dicts > Add User > Load existing' but you are seeing the uploaded dictionary in your list of files my guess would be something got corrupted either when you downloaded it or when you transferred it to the phone. Try transferring it again.

makingit

File corruption may have been the culprit. I uploaded the original file, the .pqb file, and it showed up, but the update, the .pdb file, did not. I'll play around with it for a couple days and hopefully it'll show up. If not, I'll be back for more suggestions.

Thank you, again.

ldolse

状元

The .pdb file is for Pleco 1.0 users - it doesn't work on any newer Pleco software, including iPhone.

If the pqb file installed successfully then you're in good shape.

I imported the flashcards onto my iPhone with only the radical dictionary selected, but it still uses other dictionaries when I look through them in flashcard mode. What should I do so that only the radical dictionary entry is used when I'm using the flashcards?

ldolse

状元

manisdogfish said:
I imported the flashcards onto my iPhone with only the radical dictionary selected, but it still uses other dictionaries when I look through them in flashcard mode. What should I do so that only the radical dictionary entry is used when I'm using the flashcards?

I just did this on my iPad and it worked ok. I set two items on the import screen. I set 'Definition Source' to 'Prefer Dicts'. I set 'Dictionaries' so that the 'Radicals' dictionary was at the very top of the list. After that I was able to import them successfully with the correct definitions. That seemed to work for everything except for a handful of glyphs - looks like there might be a bug with those, I'll try to figure out what the problem is there.

Alexis

状元

Is there any way to import this awesome dictionary into Pleco for Android?

Alexis

状元

Alexis said:
Is there any way to import this awesome dictionary into Pleco for Android?

Found the answer in the updated android manual:

Installing an Old User Dictionary

To install a previously backed-up user dictionary, or one downloaded from the internet, copy that dictionary's database file into the /Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files/databases folder on your device's SD card. Then, completely exit Pleco (kill it in the background via the Android "Settings" app / "Applications") and reopen it and you should have access to the new dictionary.

swenpro

OP: THANK YOU for this great contribution to Pleco. I have been needing some flashcards for radicals, and these are above and beyond what I could have desired!

P.S. I installed this on Pleco for Android -- Above user's instructions are helpful, and just to add, you still have to import the .txt file for the flashcards per the instructions on page 1. Took me a while to figure this out!

ldolse

状元

@ Swenpro, Alexis,

Thanks for the words of appreciation, and the feedback on Android support/Installation - I'll get the first post updated with Android instructions. BTW, are all the characters visible on Android? I suspect they should be, just want to confirm.

Alexis

状元
I use this dictionary all the time in my character flashcards with the "Remembering Simplified Hanzi" book :) Thanks again for putting this together.

The following characters are not visible on Android (Note: I have not tried any fonts other than the default ones).

Top of 字 radical
Top of 青 radical
Chang4: Top of 常 radical
juan3 (roll; rolled rice dumpling)
chao2 (dawn, side of 朝 radical)

However, these DO have stroke order diagrams.

ldolse

状元
Interesting - I know when Mike was evaluating open source fonts a few years back that the Android font covered all the glyphs. Not sure which font the present day Android releases are using - not surprised if it was changed based on some of the appearance problems Droid Sans had back then. As I don't have an Android device it's not something I'll be able to look into, but someone else my have some ideas.

insighter

举人
I know there are some alternative names for radicals but I only see one provided for each radical. I was hoping to add in some of this information on the notes section, or maybe even switch the headwords. An example would be 宀 can be called mian2 or bao3gai4, although I'm not sure which is more common. What source did you end up using? How do you recommend editing your flash cards because their formatting with bolds and spaces makes it difficult to do it on an iDevice. Would the same go for the user dictionary?

ldolse

状元
Are you referring to names like in this link:
http://xh.5156edu.com/page/18315.html

Someday I'd like to get focused back on studying Chinese, and if that happens I'll update the dictionary to include those names.

If you want to do it yourself it looks like the iPhone will let you edit the entries directly if you unlock the user dictionary, so you could potentially add them yourself. The formatting for bold, etc is included in the text as special characters, they show up as blocks on the iPhone - just don't delete them and you should be ok. If you're familiar with MySQL I believe you can edit them on a computer as well.