Radical Dictionary & Flashcards - iOS/Android tested

ldolse

状元
Yes, that would be great if you could post them - several people have asked for this, but I wasn't able to find a single comprehensive source covering the chinese day-to-day names.

ckatt

状元
OK i'll post it in a day or two. First I'd like to go through and correct a few errors / clean it up a bit. I would hate for someone to be studying incorrect information.

MarkieB

As far as some entries added from "rad" not displaying correctly - do they display correctly in the dictionary at least, or not at all? If they don't display correctly in the dictionary then that suggests that your device's Chinese font files still don't cover those characters - are you on Android? If so, try installing a different custom font file through Settings / General, one with more comprehensive character set support. The add-from-Rad approach definitely should get around the search engine issue.

Thank you for your hard work. I have an S3 that I got in Singapore. However 5 of the Radicals do not display. The characters for chao2, jua3n, cha4ng, top of radical qi1ng - Earth radical with extra stroke, Top of radical yu3.

I have applied the DroidSansFallbackFull from the android manual on the pleco site. I downloaded this to my phone and applied the font using settings/general/custom fonts/Customise Chinese Fonts.

I tried restarting the phone. I tried removing the cards and reloading. The fonts are not showing in either the dictionary or the phone. Is there another font file that you are using?

Thanks OP. Great work. Re post #58:
  • In terms of drawing components, the handwriting recognition database doesn't include components which aren't standalone characters.
Is this still the case or is there an option to allow recognition of handwritten radicals?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There is an option for that now, yes - Settings / Handwriting Recognizer. Not sure if it supports every common component but it supports most of them at least.

i was able to download and install the dicti9nary. but i am not able to search it. is this not an option. this is the main purpose i plan to use it for. as i practice writing. i come across radicals and components i dont know.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
User dictionaries require our paid "Flashcard System" add-on, they don't work in our free app.

Wan

榜眼
By the way, since when is this the case? I remember it not being so a couple of versions back. This is quite a huge policy change, since this functionality is so important.

alex_hk90

状元
By the way, since when is this the case? I remember it not being so a couple of versions back. This is quite a huge policy change, since this functionality is so important.
I thought it had always been the case? At least as long as I have been using Pleco (several years now).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, that's always been the case. There was a brief period a couple of years ago when it was possible to access (but not create or modify) a user dictionary in our Android app without buying the add-on due to a bug, but it was a hack - had to muck around with Pleco's folder structure - and we didn't feel any obligation to keep that loophole open since the official policy has always been that user dictionaries are a paid add-on.

Wan

榜眼
Thanks, then I must be confusing it with something else. Maybe because I had been using the WM version for a long time before switching to Android.

Mason West

User dictionaries require our paid "Flashcard System" add-on, they don't work in our free app.

I just now bought the add-on Flashcard System. What I'm hoping to find is a set of premade flashcards of the Chinese Radicals. Is there such a thing? I've searched and skimmed much of the forums here for help with this, but I just get more and more confused. Any suggestions?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This is one, actually - go back to the first post in this thread, you'd import that flashcard file into Pleco.

dylanious

秀才
I am having a little trouble with the user dictionary and flashcards.

In the dictionary there are 17 characters missing. I can list them if needed. I have tried 4 different fonts: droidsansfallbackfull, fzkais-extended, sun_exta, and wqy-microhei. the latter 3 have more than droidsansfallback but I'm still missing 17. I have tried rebooting and reimporting the dictionary. Is this normal for this dictionary to have missing characters/glyphs?

Also, when I import the flashcards, it first says creating 300ish flashcards but then I only get 128 cards in the category 'uncategorized.' I do have another list of the 100 most common radicals already but I would like to import this whole list as a complete set. I can delete this previous set if need be. I have tried selecting both prompt or create new card for duplicate options. Even so that doesn't account for the extra missing cards. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Any advice greatly appreciated - this resource looks awesome!

Edit:

Well after a few days I reimported the dictionary and flashcards, same as before, and everything worked fine. No idea why. It's all good now anyways!

Last edited:
The instructions to install appearing in the original post do not work, there is no Function where said and I find no web browser per the instructions. Would very much like to have this download. My Pleco is all of a week old so am new to all of this. The instructions are 2007 so I guess that might have something to do with it.