Unable to make Bulk AnkiDroid Study Material with Pleco

kangxiKilla

Hey Anki Power Users, I'm struggling with trying to make a frequency deck based on the Movie Subtitle Research: http://crr.ugent.be/programs-data/subtitle-frequencies/subtlex-ch

My strategy is to make a .csv of the words, import them into Pleco to pickup the translations, and then export them to Anki Desktop, however:

1) Key Dictionary returns nothing on exporting (best because contains the least number of 汉字 that I don't want for Eng->CN cards)
2) CC-CEDICT contains relatively *more* characters despite "not having example sentences"
3) I don't see anyway to disable exporting example sentences to try other decks
4) You can remove example sentences when directly sending to ankidroid, however, then there is no more import button with "ankidroid flashcard system" set

I imported all the cards to ankidroid and then tried to overwrite them manually with the duplicate key by bookmarking them in Pleco 1 at a time and that didn't change them (just added extra cards).

5) It's also necessary that I bulk import the words directly into Anki without Pleco because there are no Pleco audio hooks to ankidroid so I have to get the audio from outside. :'(

I love Pleco Mike, but today I've wrestled like no other trying to find a way and didn't. I just want to continue studying. Thanks EVERYBODY!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There should be an option in the Export screen to not export examples - are you using the latest version of Pleco?

Also, regarding audio hooks, why not just enable text-to-speech under "Plugins" in Advanced Settings? (in AnkiDroid) The existence of that feature is actually the biggest reason we haven't yet invested the time in adding our own audio solution.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Oops, scratch that about no examples in export - forgot that we haven't yet ported that improvement from iOS to Android. Will try to accelerate doing so.

kangxiKilla

There should be an option in the Export screen to not export examples - are you using the latest version of Pleco?

Also, regarding audio hooks, why not just enable text-to-speech under "Plugins" in Advanced Settings? (in AnkiDroid) The existence of that feature is actually the biggest reason we haven't yet invested the time in adding our own audio solution.

I need audio to be used in Ankidroid, not from a Pleco plugin.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, the audio would be in AnkiDroid - the TTS option is an AnkiDroid option, if you enable that then AnkiDroid will take care of the audio on its own without needing Pleco at all.

Oh, and didn't answer point #4 - it's currently one system or the other, we didn't really design our AnkiDroid integration around importing stuff into Pleco and then exporting it to AnkiDroid because we assumed people would prefer a more direct solution through any of the various Anki plugins that'll do this for you.

(basically, our AnkiDroid support was focused on the stuff that only we could do, namely, integrating it with the dictionary / reader / etc aspects of Pleco for one-button flashcard addition and duplicate checking; we didn't set out to make a general-purpose tool for building Anki Chinese decks because we didn't feel like we had enough to offer over any of the various Anki-native solutions for that to justify the effort)

kangxiKilla

Oh, and didn't answer point #4 - it's currently one system or the other, we didn't really design our AnkiDroid integration around importing stuff into Pleco and then exporting it to AnkiDroid because we assumed people would prefer a more direct solution through any of the various Anki plugins that'll do this for you.

(basically, our AnkiDroid support was focused on the stuff that only we could do, namely, integrating it with the dictionary / reader / etc aspects of Pleco for one-button flashcard addition and duplicate checking; we didn't set out to make a general-purpose tool for building Anki Chinese decks because we didn't feel like we had enough to offer over any of the various Anki-native solutions for that to justify the effort)

What you have to offer are dictionaries.

Why doesn't the Key Dictionary export anything? Is it protected by licensing or something? I need good characterless definitions to put in the deck, any ideas?

Could we please have "Don't export example sentences"?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sure, but we can't necessarily share the contents of all of those freely, as you're seeing with KEY.

So your only issue with CC-CEDICT is that it includes some Chinese characters in definitions? One option in that case would be to download CC-CEDICT, edit it with a couple of regexes to remove characters from definitions + rearrange it in our:

simplified[traditional]<tab>pinyin<tab>definition

format, and import it into Pleco as a user dictionary; you could then match your imported word list against that dictionary and export it.