User Interface Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Lijie said:
The lag happened while searching for words, but doesn't really happen that often.

OK - could be related to a memory leak that we've fixed for our next update, if you did a lot of searches it would actually start to bog things down quite a bit.

Lijie said:
One more thing and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this because it doesn't have to do with the interface, but I noticed on my friend's pleco app when I downloaded it for her (Ipod) that she could switch between I don't know how to explain it besides saying 體 with the square(in the top left part) on the right and 體 with the square the left. I've been trying to find a way to get the one with the square on the right but I don't know if its a font issue or something else. If there's an answer to this in another thread could I get linked because I don't know how to explain this with the write words.

It's a font issue - iOS includes fonts for both styles, Android doesn't. However, you can easily install a custom font that displays characters the way you want them in Settings / General / Custom Fonts.

Great update team!! Love the clean, fresh, new interface, and having a timeout override is fantastic, thank you so much for that.

For the next update, could you add an option to the flashcard tests to save and quit the test or quit without saving from within the test? Right now, I have to hit the back button, then go back into "Review Flashcards" to end the test, and there's no way to save the data from how I did.

Again, thanks for the great program, you're doing incredible work.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
nicholas.wright said:
Great update team!! Love the clean, fresh, new interface, and having a timeout override is fantastic, thank you so much for that.

No problem! Glad it helps.

nicholas.wright said:
For the next update, could you add an option to the flashcard tests to save and quit the test or quit without saving from within the test? Right now, I have to hit the back button, then go back into "Review Flashcards" to end the test, and there's no way to save the data from how I did.

This actually sounds like a configuration issue - go into Flashcard Testing / End-of-session and set "Save session" to "Prompt," that should put up an alert to ask if you want to quit or save when you press "Back." Let me know if that doesn't work (in which case there might be a bug here).

HW60

状元
In only one of my several flashcard profiles there is - after revealing the card information - a bar at the right side of the screen with a book symbol in the lower part. Tapping the symbol I can see the headword cycling through my dictionaries. Is this bar a matter of settings, and if yes, how can I change my other profiles to display the bar?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
In only one of my several flashcard profiles there is - after revealing the card information - a bar at the right side of the screen with a book symbol in the lower part. Tapping the symbol I can see the headword cycling through my dictionaries. Is this bar a matter of settings, and if yes, how can I change my other profiles to display the bar?

"Allow dict switching," in Card Text. Off by default at the moment because it adds clutter to an already cluttered interface :)

I'm so impressed with the new version you have released. I have been hoping for the TTS function for a long time and the new ui look is great! Thank you!

I would just like to ask something about the Popup definition. I have noticed the new setting Popup Definition > Auto-play audio on tap. I have this ticked and it works as expected. I was wondering if it would be possible to extend this idea so that the Popup definition move arrows would also auto-play the audio just after they have moved the selection to the next word. Something like 'Auto-play audio on move'? This would be useful because you could then slowly step through a sentence listening to each word in turn, rather then hearing it all in one burst.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Michaels1980 said:
I would just like to ask something about the Popup definition. I have noticed the new setting Popup Definition > Auto-play audio on tap. I have this ticked and it works as expected. I was wondering if it would be possible to extend this idea so that the Popup definition move arrows would also auto-play the audio just after they have moved the selection to the next word. Something like 'Auto-play audio on move'? This would be useful because you could then slowly step through a sentence listening to each word in turn, rather then hearing it all in one burst.

Certainly possible, yes - most of the requests we'd gotten for this so far had been for tapping only (and in fact had specifically excluded the arrow buttons, which a number of people suggested they might find annoying) but it's not difficult to add an option to cover those too.

mikelove said:
nicholas.wright said:

No problem! Glad it helps.

nicholas.wright said:

This actually sounds like a configuration issue - go into Flashcard Testing / End-of-session and set "Save session" to "Prompt," that should put up an alert to ask if you want to quit or save when you press "Back." Let me know if that doesn't work (in which case there might be a bug here).

Thanks for the help, I had no idea that option was there. So I've got nothing left to complain about, this program is the best money I've ever spent for a language. Thanks again.

ckatt

状元
I was making a bunch of custom flash cards to day and found it difficult to quickly get them all in to the right category. weather i used the ocr or the pop up dictionary the default for category is always set ton"none". i thin kit would be more logical to have new custom cards go to what ever the standard default category is.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ckatt said:
I was making a bunch of custom flash cards to day and found it difficult to quickly get them all in to the right category. weather i used the ocr or the pop up dictionary the default for category is always set ton"none". i thin kit would be more logical to have new custom cards go to what ever the standard default category is.

That shouldn't be the case, hmm... if you actually go through with creating the card, is it not added to any category or is it still added to the correct one? (perhaps the category picker isn't being updated correctly but the system is still keeping track of your selection internally)

ckatt

状元
mikelove said:
That shouldn't be the case, hmm... if you actually go through with creating the card, is it not added to any category or is it still added to the correct one? (perhaps the category picker isn't being updated correctly but the system is still keeping track of your selection internally)
Nope they just go into uncategorized. Its only happens when i add a new custom card from scratch and enter the card creation screen by highlighting a few characters and then hit the + button. If i've gone through the organize cards first, then it adds to whatever category was displayed when i hit the button.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ckatt said:
Nope they just go into uncategorized. Its only happens when i add a new custom card from scratch and enter the card creation screen by highlighting a few characters and then hit the + button. If i've gone through the organize cards first, then it adds to whatever category was displayed when i hit the button.

OK, we'll investigate and let you know if we can't reproduce it - thanks.

:) Hi all,

In the reader mode, it would be great if a long and continuous tap on the right arrow could Select All the text rather than a single sentence.
I'm using Pleco reader in order to read a whole text (Hui TTS), and the proposed feature would make it even more comfortable :)

Thanks again for the fantastic app, keep all the good work. You change my approach to learning language and you empowered me! 8) :D

Cheers,
T

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks!

monsieurdiarra said:
In the reader mode, it would be great if a long and continuous tap on the right arrow could Select All the text rather than a single sentence.
I'm using Pleco reader in order to read a whole text (Hui TTS), and the proposed feature would make it even more comfortable

If you tap-hold on that arrow a second time, it'll select the whole paragraph; selecting more than that is probably going to have to wait for our revamped selection system (which will also include draggable handles).

HW60

状元
User dictionaries have a "Database File Path" and a DELETE DICTIONARY button in settings. What can I do to delete a dictionary which I do not want use any more?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
User dictionaries have a "Database File Path" and a DELETE DICTIONARY button in settings. What can I do to delete a dictionary which I do not want use any more?

DELETE DICTIONARY is the one - "Database File Path" is mostly for the benefit of people who want to do automated file backups and such (since it's not obvious which database file goes with which dictionary as it is with flashcard databases).

HW60

状元
mikelove said:
DELETE DICTIONARY is the one - "Database File Path" is mostly for the benefit of people who want to do automated file backups and such (since it's not obvious which database file goes with which dictionary as it is with flashcard databases).
I installed CFDICT and now found out, that I do not need it. There is no DELETE DICTIONARY in Settings/Manage Dictionaries for this particular dictionary, and I cannot find CFDICT.pqb in my smartphone, and I do not know the Database File Path.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
I installed CFDICT and now found out, that I do not need it. There is no DELETE DICTIONARY in Settings/Manage Dictionaries for this particular dictionary, and I cannot find CFDICT.pqb in my smartphone, and I do not know the Database File Path.

Non-user-created dictionaries have to be deleted through the "Installed" tab in "Add-ons."

Bit confusing, but it's one of those impossible UI situations you run into from time to time - if we deleted dictionary add-ons in Manage Dicts it would seem equally strange that they couldn't be deleted in Add-ons and people would wonder how to delete other add-ons that aren't dictionaries.

HW60

状元
mikelove said:
Bit confusing, but it's one of those impossible UI situations you run into from time to time - if we deleted dictionary add-ons in Manage Dicts it would seem equally strange that they couldn't be deleted in Add-ons and people would wonder how to delete other add-ons that aren't dictionaries.
That is really difficult to find, because you can find not yet bought demo versions twice - in Paid and in Installed, but only Installed can be used to delete the file, while Paid has only the options Buy Now and Browse dictionary now.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
That is really difficult to find, because you can find not yet bought demo versions twice - in Paid and in Installed, but only Installed can be used to delete the file, while Paid has only the options Buy Now and Browse dictionary now.

True - Add-ons was ported over from iOS even though we weren't really happy with the UI for it on that, basically since we were in a hurry to get our Android app ready; both Add-ons and Flashcards were noticeably absent from our early Android betas because we were hoping we'd have time to redesign them before we ported them, but we couldn't and as a result their UI designs are less than they could be. Eventually we'll come up with a redesign we like better and then roll that out on both platforms.