3.2.x Bug Report / Feedback Thread

jurgen85

榜眼
Either on an earlier iOS version or on Android, I was able to set Chinese characters in dictionary abbreviations. Those old abbrevs show up as expected, but now the Chinese keyboards are unavailable in the text box and pasted Chinese becomes corrupted after saving.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks - I don't think we've changed the behavior of that box on iOS so it's probably an Android thing.

jurgen85

榜眼
Just to be clear, Android never had any issue with this. It is happening on iOS 15.6.1 with Pleco 3.2.67. The database was exported from Android however.

laurenth

秀才
The bug I mention in #580 also applies to such characters as 為 or 簡: it is impossible to access their definition.

psucom

举人
I’m running iPad iOS 16.1 (beta), and I don’t seem to be able to open pdf files in Pleco via the share button (Pleco doesn’t show up in the menu, even when clicking the more button). However, this action does work properly on my iPhone running iOS 16.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I’m running iPad iOS 16.1 (beta), and I don’t seem to be able to open pdf files in Pleco via the share button (Pleco doesn’t show up in the menu, even when clicking the more button). However, this action does work properly on my iPhone running iOS 16.

Honestly the share button is unreliable in pretty much every iOS version so I wouldn't necessarily attribute this to 16.1 - does it help if you reboot your iPad? That might make it update its index of which apps can open which file types so that it will again show Pleco as a destination for PDFs.

if you save the PDF to "On my iPad" in Files, are you able to open it as an "External File" in Pleco?

psucom

举人
Honestly the share button is unreliable in pretty much every iOS version so I wouldn't necessarily attribute this to 16.1 - does it help if you reboot your iPad? That might make it update its index of which apps can open which file types so that it will again show Pleco as a destination for PDFs.

if you save the PDF to "On my iPad" in Files, are you able to open it as an "External File" in Pleco?
Thanks for the response. Reboot unfortunately didn’t resolve it, but PDFs can indeed be opened manually via “Open Document” within Pleco. The share button used to work for me on the iPad so maybe it’ll come back with a subsequent iOS update.

psucom

举人
Thanks for the response. Reboot unfortunately didn’t resolve it, but PDFs can indeed be opened manually via “Open Document” within Pleco. The share button used to work for me on the iPad so maybe it’ll come back with a subsequent iOS update.
Share button working properly again after latest iPadOS beta install.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes. that one is going to take some time to fix since it means a significant re-working of the data for GR.

jurgen85

榜眼
With the "+ button for each dict" option, I am able to change the dict of existing cards, but creating new cards will always use the first dict, regardless of what dict's "+" I actually clicked.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's odd.. so you tap the button the first time and it uses the first dictionary but then you tap on it a second time and it uses the one you selected?

Hi, under CHARS I noticed sometimes there are words not flagged as belonging to a flashcard deck. See the example in attachment.

Attachments

• 613F7128-5559-4770-B896-8DF4A3FAA1B3.jpeg
    613F7128-5559-4770-B896-8DF4A3FAA1B3.jpeg
    873.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 28FE36D5-40C3-417D-AF02-F833583E5326.jpeg
    28FE36D5-40C3-417D-AF02-F833583E5326.jpeg
    731.6 KB · Views: 126

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, that's due to the nature of how we match flashcards against dictionary entries - the CHARS tab shows just an isolated character without a traditional/simplified variant and so it doesn't reliably match a flashcard that might have both character sets. (the reason why we do it this way is that otherwise you might have a flashcard for 幾 'how many' and not 几 'table' and nevertheless have both characters show up with [+] icons / be unable to easily create a new flashcard for 几 because it's a duplicate)

We actually never intended to show flashcard indicators in that tab at all, but we're worried that if we take them away in a minor update now we'll have people mad at us, so we're waiting for a better opportunity to fix or remove them.

Jxy

秀才
I think the definition of 後起字 in the 漢語大辭典 is cut off.
I also checked MoEDict online and their appears to be an extra 止 in the definition.

Attachments

• 2015F367-6D79-4FBC-A77F-23E2AF1D0E67.jpeg
    2015F367-6D79-4FBC-A77F-23E2AF1D0E67.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 137