Beta 4 Bug Reports

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
hleperlier - I've answered this by e-mail but I'll paste my response here for anyone else having the same problem:

Choose Ordering from the Help menu - which items are listed as demo and which as paid on that screen? Also, try using FileZ' "View and Edit Preferences" command to remove all Pleco-related preferences settings (which would include any saved keyfile data) - if you then unlock the software again, does that work any better? And which directory are the dictionaries in? They have to be in /Palm/Launcher in this version of Pleco at least.

Looks like the /Palm/Launcher question is no longer valid, but let me know about the other things. And yes, Pleco Engine is the same as PlecoDict.prc in the earlier instructions.

ldolse - the Vorbis codec is actually entirely platform-neutral, we pass it a chunk of compressed data and it returns uncompressed PCM audio which we then feed to the device's audio codec for playback. So the database access code is basically the same, but the blocks of data it's dealing with are larger than anything else our database system has to handle so that certainly might have something to do with this.

beirne - yes, as ipsi says if you turn off the auto-detect language feature that should get it to behave a little better.

thanks Mike. It did solve the problem. It seems everytime I uploaded a keyfile, a new prefs was created, I must have deleted at least 6 prefs files. Deleting the prefs file for 1.3 did not remove the proof of purchase.

You might like to remember that the keyfile I got for my new purchases by email was bigger and different from the one I downloaded from the Pleco 2.0 Beta Purchase Page. The one that did the trick in the end was the one from the Web page.

I did have a soft reset when I tried to use the pop-up definition, but that was with the dict. problem / purchase still not fixed. Now, I can look at bugs.

Stroke orders / the drawing is blocky for some characters; it seems to be the ones having a specific Full-form as opposed to the simplified / common Character; I'll have to test more of that.

One thing: the smoothing/stylus writing seems to have improved from 1.3; less straight and "nicer." :D

I can confirm: in Guifa and 21st Dict. After Selecting in Prefs Stylus actions/select=>brings pop-up, I systematically get a soft reset. It also resets prefs, for ex. colours. :?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Glad to hear that that fixed it. The e-mail keyfiles are all still in 1.0 format and hence are completely useless for unlocking 2.0 dictionaries, so at the moment the website is the only place to get your new keyfile. The blockiness in the traditional character stroke order diagrams is part of the source data; it was adapted from a simplified-only product and they weren't able to deliver identical-looking traditional characters within the timeframe we gave them. (ironically that timeframe ended up being way too conservative but they'd already finished by the time we realized that) We'll clean those characters up eventually but unfortunately it isn't feasible for 2.0. And yes, we increased the number of smoothing samples in 2.0 from 1.0 so the handwriting should be a little less shaky. Thanks for the note on the reset, that should be easy to reproduce.

Dan_78cj5

举人
Mike - Pleco continues to be the coolest tool on the planet!

Heeding the warnings about instability I pulled an old Palm out of the bottom of the closet and loaded up Beta3, after it ran so stable on my old machine, I decided to put the new beta4 on my main machine, a T|X ... Arrrrrrgghh!

OK, I think I have found the magic combination of settings, for the most part, but I have had a lot of annoying problems getting here. None that have made it useless, but very frustrating.

1) First, 'hide list' - and this one took some time to figure out. I use the Palm in landscape with the list in full screen and the input pallet anchored on the right. This way I can input characters then select from the list and it switches to definition. In Beta4 when I select a word or phrase from the list it appears to switch to definition view - but the list apparently stays out - touching the screen is now very confusing as it may highlight and select words behind the definition from the list, or words in the definition view itself. It's like the two screens are open and ghosted over each-other, both active to the cursor/stylus at the same time. Finally I found the "list tap action" option for "hide list" on tap under stylus actions, which for the most part fixed the problem above. I 'think' in Beta3 this list tap=hide list was automatic with 'full screen' selected for list pallet layout. I can't imagine why this wouldn't be automatic in full screen list mode, especially since a fullscreen list without this keeps putting you in the situation where the definition and list are both open and 'ghosted' over top of each-other. OK, not sure if that made sense, but its hard to describe these things.

2) The pop-up dictionary has been completely useless in Beta4, sadly as this was one of my favorite features in beta3. Everytime I use pop-up definitions I get a soft reset. Originally this was a lot of pain, I was losing a lot of preferences, because I hadn't figured out what the problem was and each time I opened it I made a lot of changes and had not yet closed and re-opened to 'lock-in' the preferences. So now I've isolated this problem as the pop-up definition function. If I set any button on the tool bar as 'pop-up def' the machine soft resets when I hit that button, if I make the 'pop-up def' any of the stylus actions its the same - soft reset, if I use the pull down menu or the short-cut for 'pop-up def', all equal soft reset. This is disappointing as the pop-up def was one of my favorite features.

3) The reader is WAY COOL! I hadn't tried this in any previous version, but I like this a lot. It works really well in wide screen - makes good use of the landscape layout, the functions on the bottom are very intuitive and make sense. My only disappointment here is that I don't have the hard copy book I'm reading right now in a file I can put on the reader. One question, in the definition area there are two sets of left and right arrows - what's the difference? They appear to do the same thing.

4) In general there are a lot of appearance problems on the wide screen / T|X. Whenever I open or close a function the right third of the screen keeps a shadow of the previous screen until I open and close the hidden graffiti pad. I also think, since I keep the handwriting input area open on the right, that when I open the hidden graffiti pad it should just cover up the Pleco input section that is set on the right. Now what it does is push the pleco input section over if a definition is showing, but hides it if the list is showing. This is backwards to me. I'm much less likely to need an input pallet when I am at the definition screen than when I am at the list. Anyway, each time I change or move the graffiti pallet or any of the pop-up windows like preferences or flashcards, etc, when I come back to the main screen I get a lot of very un-clean screen with a few lines of pixels that still show parts of the last pop-up screen, or in between buttons, etc.

5) And for a random observation. The button on the handwriting pallet with the eraser and black arrow (erases one character at a time from the main dictionary cursor line) is a super useful button, but it has nothing to do with the handwriting pallet where it shows up. Why not make this button available for somewhere on the main tool bar or better with the thee fixed buttons (eraser, copy into input and list mode) next to the input field. Similarly the place that this erase one character button is in really needs a full erase button that clears the input field. Right now you can undo one stroke, but if I've written half a character in their I either have to undo 4-5 times, or just hit recognize character and start over.

Over-all GREAT PRODUCT and I can't wait for the final release version!!! Now that I've got the layout relatively stable I'll try to figure out the flashcards. So far the differences in the flashcards are too many for me to figure out. Is there a flashcard tutorial somewhere for the new system? I like to have my cards sorted by the chapter or lesson in the book I am reading, but I can't figure out how to do that yet with this one. Anyway,

Thanks again Mike, great work, great product.
Dan

Pleco on my Samsung i780, which runs an unusual 320x320 screen, has major issues. When I load up beta 4, everything is huge and unresponsive. The icons at the top of the screen take up an abnormally large amount of space as does the dictionary list to the right. When I try and tap any of the icons, it will crash.

ipsi

状元
I asked Mike about this a while ago, and he said they've yet to implement support for that resolution. :(. I imagine it'll be supported in the finished version, but you might have to wait a while I'm afraid.

I just noticed that posting from Mike earlier. I should have paid more attention to "Glad to hear that that fixed it. The e-mail keyfiles are all still in 1.0 format and hence are completely useless for unlocking 2.0 dictionaries, so at the moment the website is the only place to get your new keyfile."

Could something be done about that?

A lot of time can be spent trying to solve that problem and it got my prefs files corrupt. Also, Mike very kindly answered immediately and found a fix.
He might waste a lot of time just answering this issue as more users take the plunge and install beta 4. :shock:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Dan_78cj5 - thanks for the detailed bug reports. #1 I just reproduced on my Treo - must have come up recently since I did the same test about a week ago and didn't see that problem. 1-line bug fix anyway. Good point about automatically hiding the fullscreen list when tapped, though it seems like some people might prefer to have it shrink when tapped instead of hiding it altogether - it seems in general like it may be worth reopening the design just a little bit on the palette/layout system since a lot of people are having problems with it. On #2, the popup dictionary was virtually unchanged on Palm from Beta 3 so I'm not quite sure what could be causing these crashes - do they happen with both English and Chinese lookups? Does the problem happen even after your preferences were just erased? If not, have you changed any search-related preferences from their default settings?

The two sets of arrows in #3 will be better documented later but basically the idea is that they let you change both edges of the text selection - this allows you for example to choose either character of a two-character word with just one button tap. We're still deciding if and how to map these to hardware buttons - we could map them to four directions with the middle button toggling between that mode and a mode where the navigation pad just moves the selection around the document, or we could just have the center button expand/shrink the selection (toggle through all matching word lengths starting on the currrently-selected character) - the former is a bit more powerful but the latter requires fewer button presses so we'll probably end up doing it that way.

Widescreen layout in #4 definitely needs some work - interesting point about the Graffiti palette, though it would probably need yet another preferences option since I'm sure some people like to have both open at the same time (if for example you want to be able to quickly move between entering Pinyin and characters). The backspace button in #5 is there mainly to provide an easy way to correct a mistake without having to move the stylus all the way up to the top of the screen, if for example you enter a character and then realize it was the wrong one - I suppose we could just automatically replace the last character entered if you pick a different one without writing again, but that would need yet another new preferences option since we've been doing it the other way since 2001 and a lot of people have gotten used to it.

canfraggle - yeah, we haven't tested with 320x320 yet since until recently there wasn't an emulator for it (and we can't buy *every* new phone that comes out to test our software on) - luckily Microsoft just released one for that resolution, along with the almost-as-troublesome 800x480, so this should get a lot better soon. (though why they couldn't leave well enough alone with 240x240 and 480x480 I haven't a clue) But checking it on that emulator now I'm seeing the big buttons but not the crashes - are you sure it happens with every icon?

hleperlier - this is where that whole "absolutely no tech support" line comes in handy - if someone's not going to take the time to read up a bit on at least the most recent version's bugs then it's probably better if they don't install the beta anyway. More practically, it's just too complicated a change - every time we rewrite the online store software we have to take the store offline, do a whole bunch of tests to make sure we haven't screwed up anything security-wise and then reopen it, so we generally only like to do that once or twice a year.

About the impossibility of using expressions with more than one word with space between them: not really true. It just that in 1.3 the words would show up gradually and you would know quickly if the word was there or not.
In 2.0beta4, you have to type the full expression with the spaces until the last letter to make it appear (haven't managed yet to fix this with prefs)

For example type "Baile Atha Cliath" in 21st: it won't appear until you type the last "h." (if you type it, you'll find out where I work) :lol:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Seems to be an issue with some length-matching code we put in for the document reader which appears to now be affecting almost all dictionary queries. Should be easy to fix, anyway.

SONG LI

Palm Tx.
-Installation of beta4
-2 applications appear :
plecoengine (beta4)
plecobeta (1.0.3)
plecoengine works good , now - wow !
plecodict : the abc dictionary disappears , and appears in plecoengine ( with the "trial" versions of the dictionaries)
-reinstallation of plecodict (1.0.3)
the abc dictionary reappears in the plecodict , ( with the complete versions of the dictionaries) but now
plecoengine immediately crashes and causes a soft reset.

Zhuyin Bopomofu: the spacing is very wide and uses a lot of valuable space compared to Pinyin

Flashcards: totally unusable at this stage: I got them to work only a couple of times but there was no display; now, I get an automatic soft reset everytime I start them. Tried to change options many different ways but no success.

TC/SC: list of words stubbornly remains in SC. Definitions can be toggled SC/TC with no problem.

Colours for tones: not showing in Guifan,

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
SONG LI - not sure what's happening there; any chance that one ABC file might be overwriting the other on your memory card? Try using FileZ to delete all of the Pleco files on your memory card, install the old version, move the files from it to \\Palm\Programs\PlecoDict, then move the new version files to \\Palm\Launcher - does that help?

hleperlier - thanks for the note on Zhuyin, though it's tough to fix since we don't have a license for a narrower-width Zhuyin font. On flashcards, could you send me a copy of your flashcard database file? Should show up in your Palm Desktop user backup folder after you HotSync. The TC/SC list bug has now been found/fixed so that'll be gone in the next beta. Guifan tone colors are a data file problem and may not be fixed until the finished release.

On flashcards, could you send me a copy of your flashcard database file? Should show up in your Palm Desktop user backup folder after you HotSync.

I thought some file or prefs got corrupt since I am the only one with systematic soft reset with Flashcards.

Fine, I'll try to get that file by the weekend, I'll have to use another computer since Mising Sync is sort of broken in Leopard. Btw, is there any other satisfactory programm for syncing in Leopard for Palm OS?
thanks.

About zhuyin, no free zhuyin fonts that could be converted? I mean zhuyin with no other characters.

Ah yes, another bug: the Pleco keyboard for pinyin has no space key / bar. It is available for English an Zhuyin.

Shadowdh

状元
Hi there, now I am not sure if I am doing some thing wrong or not but I cant seem to make the bookmark feature work, I press it and enter the mark and then try to go back to it I cant for some reason... and now it seems that pleco2 has failed completely, I try to open it and it looks fine but then if I try to access the menus it comes up blank and the menu name disappears but I can still access the menu list... just not actually see any words when I click on the menu item... will try to reinstall and try it...

johnh113

榜眼
hleperlier said:
Fine, I'll try to get that file by the weekend, I'll have to use another computer since Mising Sync is sort of broken in Leopard. Btw, is there any other satisfactory programm for syncing in Leopard for Palm OS?

Dear Hleperlier,

I use Mark/Space, Inc's "Missing Sync for Palm OS" with no problems. It's $40 from their markspace.com website. (I have an MacBook Air and a Treo 680)

John

(sorry, if it's not directly related, but beta testing does require extensive safety back-ups)

John,

Are using 10.5 Mac OS and are you able to mount your memory card, and syncing onto the memory card on your Palm?

If you can, this is quite a feat because Missing sync says that you can't and they are not sure they'll try to make it work since the Finder is very different in 10.5.x

johnh113

榜眼
Dear Hleperlier,

You are right. I am running 10.5.2, but I don't mount my memory card. Checking my backups, I see my flashcards and other memory data backed up, but I don't see any data from my SD card backed up

John

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
hleperlier - OK, thanks. Free fonts are a little tricky because it's often difficult to ascertain whether or not they're actually free or were just ripped off from a non-free font - we'll see what we can find, though. Lots of those command keys are still missing on the Pleco keyboards, should be fixed soon (like so many other things). I don't know of any other Palm sync programs for Mac but for memory card mounting you could try a utility like Card Export - that turns your Palm into a standard USB drive that even Leopard should be happy with. Wouldn't help with sync, though, not sure if there's anything to do on that but start using VMWare/Parallels.

Shadowdh - sounds like a crash which brought down the rest of Pleco; if you exit it using the Quit command and then reopen it it should work correctly again. Bookmarks as reported elsewhere currently only work with a few formats, though next week's Experimental release should fix that along with re-adding Instant Access.