Beta 4 Bug Reports

Shadowdh

状元
Mike, that did indeed fix it. It took several exits though. Cool re the reader looking forward to the next release...

Shadowdh

状元
DOH... I should have kept my mouth shut as no sooner than you say its all ok it does it again... same thing has happened, this time exiting and restarting does not help at all... I hope I can explain things clearly enough... it might just be the crash as you suggested previously and if so then the next beta release will prob fix it. Anywho here goes... I start P2 and click on a menu (anyone) and the menu title disappears, if I select one of the items in the menu the screen shows the item page (in the case of the reader or character info the page is very mixed up, showing elements of other menu item pages) but it has all the boxes and lines but no text, I can still click on things but some work and some dont... This then seems to screw up the main screen in that I cannot write the character on the recogniser part (it just seems to hightlight certain parts of the text (which also disappears till highlighted) and the menu along the bottom does not work so I have to exit P2 using the program close feature of my pda/phone. Anywho, I am looking forward to the next beta release... is that still scheduled for this week? Cheers Mike...

Palm TX

Sorry Mike, haven't got organized to send you the Flashcards, The other reason is that I somehow managed to get it fixed: I deleted the Default profile and used the second profile (named d2). And this second did let me used the flash card. When looking at the flashcards words list, I saw one word in big caps called "INVALID." It looked like an entry but wasn't a proper flashcard.
I might have deleted the info you were looking for to fix the bug ... :?
One bug, can't properly resize the writing box in the flashcard session: either a huge writing pad all the way up, but then the definition only appears on two lines; or all the way down with a very narrow vertical space to write into. If i resize the latter it goes all the way up and the only to resize down is to soft reset. Can't drag it down half way. Other probs, it seems but haven't had much time to play around with the flashcards yet

Shadowdh

状元
Ok just a quick update on the problem I am having... it appears that there is a conflict with CEStar... I was having the same problem with CEStar and MS Reader so a light came on and I turned off CEStar and voila it is all ok now, tried it several times and it all works fine... The funny thing is that this has only just started to happen... any thoughts?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Shadowdh - that's odd; I used 2b4 on a phone with CE-Star for several weeks in China and didn't encounter this sort of crash. Hopefully we'll manage to reproduce it here at some point...

On the new release, it's actually not another beta (that's still a few weeks away, and fingers crossed it'll be the last beta before the official release) but just an experimental version to get Instant Access tested on a wider array of systems (and also make sure some newly-ARMified code on the Palm side doesn't cause crashes); should be out today or tomorrow. There are a bunch of bug fixes too, but a lot of bugs we know about are still unfixed and there are still a wide array of unimplemented preferences etc - we're not going to be looking for feedback on anything but IA and new-since-beta-4 bugs/problems.

hleperlier - that's odd, perhaps the profile settings were set up in such a way as to filter out more stuff than we wanted them to. It does sound like you deleted what we were looking for, but actually the fact that it was tied to the profile tells us pretty much all we needed - my big worry was that the flashcard data might have been corrupted and it doesn't sound like that's the case here.

Shadowdh

状元
I thought it was odd too... my phone has been working for a couple of months (since I bought it) with CEStar installed and has only recently started to play silly buggers... I have not installed anything new and there have been no changes to the system at all. Oh well some more digging when I get the time... fills the 3 minutes I have before bed... :D

sfrrr

状元
That's the trouble with CE-Star: it works fine and then--bang! That's why I have hesitated to install it on my new iPAQ 211, but it's getting to be difficult to live without it. In fact, I had decided to install it--finally--onto the iPAQ today. I hate the thought that I'm knowingly giving my iPAQ problems, but...well, here goes. At least you'll have another PDA to use to figure out what isn't working between CE-Star and PD.

Sandra

I agree with Sandra completely.

CE-STAR isthat way. It is indispenable for having Chinese handwriting recognition throughout the programs on your PDA, but is guranteed to cause conflicts with other programs.

Shadowdh

状元
Yeah it does indeed Hairy... kinda sucks a bit... but I work around it cos its so damn useful... Pleco 1 still works fine with it though...

I use it every day as well. However, I think about half of the time my PDA freezes up and I have to do a reset, is due to CE-STAR.

I tried monster Chinese but never had success getting it to work on my iPAQ. Has anyone here had success using Monster Chinese? What do you think about its stability, capabilities and features compared to CE-STAR.

ldolse

状元
If you can live without an actual handwriting recognition SIP just use ZTA4. If you really need HWR then I suggest searching the internet - search for (redacted) with CE-Star and you can find a hacked version which you can choose to just install the handwriting. It's the memory resident stuff they do for licensing and adding support for Big5 and GB that causes it to be flaky, so the hacked version bypasses that nicely.

ipsi

状元
If you're planning on an in-depth discussion WM Chinese Input systems, you may want to think about starting a new topic :). This is, technically, a bug-reports thread.

Also, I've noticed a couple of soft resets when selecting the call back function on received SMSes when within Pleco 2.0. I'm not sure if they're connected or not, haven't had time to test them yet. If it's easily reproduceable, could it be a memory issue? Or just Pleco not handling the launch-code correctly?

sfrrr

状元
ldolse said:
If you can live without an actual handwriting recognition SIP just use ZTA4. If you really need HWR then I suggest searching the internet - search for 'leyes' with CE-Star and you can find a hacked version which you can choose to just install the handwriting. It's the memory resident stuff they do for licensing and adding support for Big5 and GB that causes it to be flaky, so the hacked version bypasses that nicely.

ldolse--thanks. Very useful tip.
And, you're right, ipsi. This is off-topic. Sorry.
Sandra

roddy

秀才
My Bug:
Flashcards don't work. I can open up the module and change all the settings, muck around with profiles, categories, edit lists, etc. But as soon as I go New Flashcard Session > Start Session I get dumped back at set-up (with PlecoFlash in the toolbar).

I've deleted all profiles / categories / flashcards to attempt to start from scratch, no joy. I had this problem on an earlier install and I'm wondering if there might be a file or registry setting somewhere causing the problem? Any ideas? Don't want to run around blindly in case I kill off my Pleco 1 flashcards. WM6.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... if you go into Manage Flashcards and do a search for all cards created after, say, January 1st, do any cards come up there? There isn't really any way that a registry or preference setting could affect the flashcard system like this, so it pretty much has to be somewhere in the profile or the cards themselves - if you send me a copy of your flashcard file (should be in the root directory of your Pocket PC) I can take a look and see what's not working.

roddy

秀才
Sending that to you now. The cards are showing up when I manage flashcards - basically everything looks perfect until i try to start the session . . .

Edit: Got this fixed with some advice from Mike - found a surplus flashcards file under /My Documents.

ssaito

探花
I just installed beta 4 with instant-on and have used it for 3 days. It's great. However, I have experienced a recurring bug. The little Pleco icon shows up at the top of the screen and it works fine when as long as I don't have any alerts (such as mail alert, or voicemail alert, etc). However, if there are alerts it acts erratic, usually hanging the device such that it needs a soft reset. Has anyone seen this? I looked through earlier bug reports and didn't see it.

Thanks,
Steve
AT&T 8525 (HTC) WM6 2G SD card

daniu

榜眼
Hi!

Sorry to be pushy again ... but I start to get a little nervous - looking at the date and remembering the estimated date of the final release of PD 2. How about you Mike - feel the same? Or totally relaxed being almost ready - playing with the new Webpage design?

I would not mind something like a RC - but just anything would be cool ...

best regards
Daniel

ldolse

状元
@ssaito
That's been reported over in the instant access thread, as it's a bug associated with that. You can disable the icon in the prefs, alternatively just don't click it when there are other notifications - you can still access any other notification, the phone won't lock up if you stay away from the Pleco icon. As it's currently the only semi-functional way to use instant access I've been using the icon with the above caveat and all is well.

Hi Mike,

I've just been back from China using Pleco 3 all the time and switching Zhuyin Fuhao for the greatest part. I glanced quickly at the forum and although I haven't installed Beta 4, I have noticed an important bug.

The pinyin "luo" is displayed as 'ㄌㄩ' instead of 'ㄌㄨㄛ'.

I'll try to install Beta 4 to see whether it is a conversion problem still present in version 4.

Henry