Beta 4 Bug Reports

First time using the 2.0 beta. I see that the popup bug has been reported once already. I too have that bug. Every time I tap a chinese character, I get a soft reset. Using a Palm TX.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
daniu - sorry I didn't notice this earlier. June 5th turned out to be a little over-aggressive; I think we could actually have made it if we'd really locked things down after that announcement and just focused on fixing bugs, but we got caught up on Instant Access and a few other fixes; the Manage Flashcards screen has been heavily re-done for Beta 5, actually, since we realized that it took way too many pen taps to assign a card to a new category (likely to be far and away the most common thing people do in that screen). So it'll take a few more weeks but I think everyone will be much happier with the result because of the wait.

hleperlier - confirmed, looks like the Pinyin-to-Zhuyin conversion table was shifted by one line for a few syllables around 'luo' - affects one or two other "lu" and "lv" entries too. Anyway, I've fixed it in the relevant file now so this should be fixed in Beta 5 - do let me know if you notice any more of these (or if the problem for some reason is still there in Beta 5, which would suggest that the update didn't "take" for some reason).

estudiando - is this a popup bug looking at characters in the reader or in the dictionary in general? What have you configured in Preferences as the "Tap Char Action" under "Stylus Actions"?

Mike, the soft reset is within the dictionary when I tap a character and the preference is in char info. This soft reset happens every single time. But if I change the preferences to Popup Defn, then it works fine (which is what I want). Perhaps it should default to popup definition. I love the built-in keyboard/char input for the larger screens. I suppose the keyboard will look better in the final version.

Thanks for the info

vchm

The bug with "forgetting" the licensing information is well reproducible. I have first got the licese key with my previously ordered dictionaries and then purchased some extensions. Immediately after the start pleco has recognozed the extended key and confirmed that the new dictionary is activated. In help->ordering I could see that the info is correct. After the quitting and starting again the dictionary was not available any more. I could fix the problem only after I have removed the complete Registry branch of pleco

Pleco has reproducible problems with localized versions of Windows Mobile. if the programm directory is called "programme" (German version) and not "programms" no one module like Character info, popup definition or sound is callable. Appears to be the problem with loading overlays from the programm file :?:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
estudiando - yes, the keyboard should look better. Strange about the Character Info popup not working - are you sure you installed the UniHan database file?

vchm - There actually aren't any overlays involved in directory-searching the way we do it, nor is "Program Files" hard-coded into the application - there's a system function you can use which automatically gives you the correct name of the Program Files folder on a particular system. So I'm not sure why it wouldn't be able to load those modules - were they located in \\Program Files\Pleco or on a memory card? Do they work correctly after a soft reset? When you say that Character Info doesn't work correctly, does it come up blank or crash or does it work correctly in the Info part but remain blank in stroke order?

The license-forgetting bug has now been found and fixed, we think - the old keyfile data was being corrupted instead of just erased when a new keyfile was installed. So that should be fixed in Beta 5.

vchm

Mike, this may be a bug in the WM-ROM I used, but as long as I flashed the gadget with the WM in English the problem was gone and returned after coming back to the German version. The files with executable and the dll with the handwriting recognition were in the both cases in the corresponding \Pogramms or \Programme directory. I'm sorry, I know from my experience that this is a very popular coding error to hard code some localization dependent directory names.

ipsi

状元
It's also quite frustrating seeing people do it for platform-specific stuff in, say, Java (e.g. hard-coding /home/user/conf, or C:\Documents and Settings\user).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
vchm - I just did a search of the entire Pleco 2.0 source code and the word "Program Files" never appears, so it seems like it must be something else - anyway we'll do some tests on a German ROM and see if maybe there's something else different in that that might cause a problem.

Mike,

Char info now works. I downloaded everything again and thanks for the tip.

However, my two most useful features are the pop up definition and the char info.

I can assign pop up to tap action and there is an option to assign char info to tapsel, but how do you do a tapsel? I can do a sel action, but there is no option to assign char info or pop up to that action. Further, there is an option to assign char info to a button in the command toolbar, but when I assign it, there is no icon (blank) and there is no effect when tapping that blank button.

Also, I suppose the free dictionaries (cedic, adso) don't work in this beta version (they don't appear)

Ideally for me, I would tap a character to get the popup info and then from the popup window I would tap a char info button.

Great product!!! even in Beta

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Both of these have been fixed in the latest development builds (we really need to get Beta 5 out soon - trying to do a lot in this one between finalizing most of the file formats / updating the databases / creating the 1.0-to-2.0 converter / etc, hence the long delay) - you can now assign character info or popup definition to just selecting text and the character info toolbar button actually works.

The free dictionaries don't work yet, the database format has changed and we haven't gotten around to releasing updated versions. (nor are we likely to until 2.0 is just about finished - they're not important for testing so they're kind of low on the priority list)

Love the document reader, especially the navigation arrow in the popup dictionary that lets me move from one character to another until the end of a sentence. I can easily open documents stored in the built in memory because I can see a list box with all the documents. If stored in a memory card, there is no list box and one must enter the full path of the document (I think I had a hard crash attempting to do this)

Within the document reader, the popup dictionary has some buttons in the bottom row. Are these buttons programmable? For example, a button to invoke the character info would be nice

Also, when exiting the reader, the bottom part of the screen -the part where you can display the built in keyboard- does not refresh (problem in portrait mode, refreshes fine in landscape mode)

Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, we've gotten a few requests for a better memory card file browser - didn't get around to doing it for 2.0 but we might take a stab at it in 2.1 at least. It shouldn't crash if the path is invalid, though, we'll take a look at that. The buttons in the bottom row aren't customizable yet, another thing we might add in 2.1. Haven't seen this refresh problem before (except on Windows Mobile, where it's now fixed) - so the area stays whatever it was when the reader was open and doesn't go back to the keyboard?

so the area stays whatever it was when the reader was open and doesn't go back to the keyboard?

Yes. Just the area where the keyboard is supposed to display. I have it setup so the dictionary is on top, the result list is in the bottom and the input is below the result list. The dictionary area and the result list refreshes fine. The keyboard doesn't appear so whatever was displayed in the reader is displayed. I have to invoke the Palm keyboard to refresh that part. (PALM TX)

Also when using the navigation arrow in the reader, it will stop at the end of a puntuation mark. Why would it not keep going? (It would be nice if it can keep going until the end)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
OK, we'll see what we can do with that though it might not be fixed in Beta 5. The punctuation issue, however, is.

(and yes, Beta 5 really really is coming out in a few days, we ran into some issues with UIDs in the Standard Dictionary not being generated consistently but we think we've figured out a fix for that now)

Shadowdh

状元
All of my documents are on my card and I can access them fine... its just the bookmark thing that isnt working so fine for me...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Shadowdh - yeah, we think we've tracked down the source of that problem now - the filenames weren't being stored correctly.

estudiando - This article mentions a free screen capture program called HRCaptDA, though I haven't tried it yet - you'd need a DA launcher to run it, though there are lots of those available if you search around.

Bit more waiting on Beta 5, I'm afraid - we found a pretty nasty last-minute bug that required yet another change to the database format, and we want to give the slightly-altered format at least a week or so of testing / breaking-in before we start having people entrust it with their flashcards.

fplanjer

秀才
Hi,

I've got the following situation:
iPaq 214, 640x480 display
Layout (in portrait mode):
- Input palette on the bottom
- List palette on the right

When I use character input or radical lookup it all works fine, pleco resizes the input plette a bit to make enough room for the list palette.
When I use keyboard lookup, and the list palette is visible, the inut palette is minimzed to the bottom. I can only see it when I hide the list palette. It would be great if either the keyboard input could resize a little so there is enought room for the list palette, or if the list palette would require a little less room. It is only a very little space that is causing the problem. On font size 11 in the list, it is only half a line that causes the problem.

Another thing with the radical lookup: there is a listbox near the bottom (next to the keyboard icon). This listbox is so narrow that I cannot see what is in it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I just tested this and it seems to be fixed in the latest build - let me know if you still see this problem once Beta 5 is out and we'll play around with it some more. The radical box issue has also been fixed - wasn't being resized correctly on a VGA screen but it is now.