Beta 7(b) (stability-fix) Bug Report Thread

caesartg said:
Hi Mike

Just discovered the 'group' option in 'manage categories' which is potentially a god-send for me. However, child categories seem to disappear from the 'manage flashcards' screen. Is this by design???

Cheers

Ben
In 'Preferences -> Flashcards'
There Is An Option 'Pop Lists Show Only Top-Level Cats'.

koreth

榜眼
I just installed PD2 on my Treo 650 for the first time this evening and have noticed a couple glitches.

First, I got a crash while I was playing with the audio, but it doesn't seem reproducible. I was looking at the dictionary entry for 中 (I believe in the Tuttle dictionary, but not 100% certain) and cleared the text field. I typed "er" on the keyboard and my Treo rebooted.

Second, the selected dictionary gets reset when I use the history of word lookups. For example, I'm sitting in the ABC dictionary and look up "erqie". I switch to the Tuttle dictionary. Then I look up "bingqie" (which is still shown in Tuttle since that's the current dictionary). Then I choose "erqie" from the drop-down next to the text field and it switches back to the ABC dictionary. It looks like the history entries record which dictionary is active when I *first* enter a word -- but there's no way to change that to a different dictionary. If it's going to remember dictionaries at all (which I'm not sure it should), it should probably remember the *last* dictionary I was using for a given word since that's more likely to be the one I wanted. I looked through the preferences panels and didn't see one for this, but maybe I missed it.

Third, I can't get flashcard importing from 1.0 to work. I export to my SD card using PlecoCvt (I don't have enough memory to export to internal); the exporter says it successfully exported 5383 cards, which seems about right. I select the file in 2.0's import UI and hit the "Start" button. A word flashes in the upper right of the screen too fast for me to read (maybe "Wait"?) and is replaced by the word "Done" immediately, but no flashcards are actually imported.

Looks great so far other than those issues, though!

Eggwind

举人
I'm having a fairly big issue with flashcards which I don't think anyone has mentioned. When using certain filters, Pleco doesn't give me any cards which haven't been reviewed yet. The filters that don't work are the "Score filter" and the "Times reviewed filter". After adding several cards and setting Score filter to "0-500", I only got old cards, and not the new cards, which should all be score 100. Setting a filter for "Times reviewed=0" gives me an error message saying that there aren't any cards that match the criteria. The only way I can review my new cards is by setting a time filter, or by not filtering at all.

I only recently discovered this problem, since I noticed I hadn't actually practised any of my new vocab since I added a Score=0-1000 filter. My flashcard file is fairly fresh and was, I believe created with Beta 7b, or perhaps 7a. Nothing imported from earlier versions or anything.

Doing an advanced search in "Manage Flashcards" for "# Reviewed=0" or "score=100" finds the cards.

Edit: OK, it seems The Duelist had a similar problem in Beta 7a with "Times reviewed=0" on Palm. I'm on Pocket PC, and this may be a different issue, since the Score filter does not work either.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
koreth - good point on dictionaries getting remembered incorrectly, we recently added the ability for it to remember which language you were last searching but it looks like it's only saving that and not also the last dictionary.

With the import not working, you're importing this as an XML file and not a Text file, right? (it should only come up under XML File (Card) unless you accidentally saved it with a .txt extension instead of an .xml one) Can you add individual flashcards to the database successfully from the main dictionary screen? Do you have a memory card reader or something else you can use to get that XML file off of your memory card and e-mail it to us?

Eggwind - yeah, it looks like this is related to The Duelist's bug - not sure why its still cropping up in b7b but we'll take another look at it.

Eggwind

举人
Ok, I'm really sorry! I had downloaded 7b, but hadn't actually installed it! I was certain I was running 7b, but I was running 7a it turns out. To clarify, this you can ignore my earlier post. You even fixed the VGA screen handwriting lag issue in this release! ... or, actually... I think it's still there in landscape mode. It seems like it may be a little faster, but it's still acting in the same way as before.

koreth

榜眼
Just got a reset after clicking the "Compounds" tab in the Char Info dialog. The character was 验 but after the reboot (which was a "preferences wiped out" reset, but of course I have a backup so no huge deal) I can view compounds for that character just fine. (Treo 650)

Minor Bug Report:
In 'Free Answer' Tests That Require 'Pinyin + Tones' To Be Entered,
PD2 Loses 'Focus' On The Input Box When I Open/Close The Graffitti Input Panel.

Platform: Palm T5
Software: PD2b7(b)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Eggwind - phew, glad to hear it.

koreth - strange, the 650 should be pretty stable after that '06 ROM update... perhaps we should set Pleco to run in lower-database-cache-usage mode on it like we do on the Tungsten E2. (makes things a bit slower but improves stability on first-generation NVFS devices)

The Duelist - yep, seeing that here too; thanks.

koreth

榜眼
I have the up and down rocker buttons configured to scroll the definition in flashcard mode. That works fine until I reveal the answer, at which point pressing those buttons has no effect and I have to use the scrollbar with my stylus.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Eggwind - I'm not sure why the handwriting would still be slow, it's definitely using that faster code now - perhaps your phone's display driver isn't optimized to work well in landscape mode. Have you seen slow performance in landscape mode in any other applications?

koreth - this is happening with b7b? That's odd, we'll take another look at it.

Eggwind

举人
mikelove said:
Eggwind - I'm not sure why the handwriting would still be slow, it's definitely using that faster code now - perhaps your phone's display driver isn't optimized to work well in landscape mode. Have you seen slow performance in landscape mode in any other applications?

That's interesting. I actually don't usually use any other applications than Pleco, but I tried with S2V, a picture viewing application with some animations, and it was indeed much slower in landscape mode. Going to have to look for a different ROM I guess...

ipsi

状元
I'm still getting the odd reset: After a few days without a soft reset, I do my normal daily flashcards, everything goes smoothly, up until I hit the end of the 'Review incorrect cards' bit (it saves the data from the actual session, thankfully), and at that point, once I've marked the last card correct, it pauses for a second or two (distinctly longer than normal), then crashes. EDIT: Should mention, in case it matters, all cards were marked correct, there were a total of 4, the session had about 360 total, and I went through about 110.

I'm using repetition-spacing, manual card scoring (250/150), 'Review incorrect at end', '(Loop)', score-based subject selection.

This is *without* pTunes running, and a fairly minimal set of CJKOS stuff running (cManager lists a total of 149 files, at 3822K). Other stuff is just ChatterEmail at the moment.

I've also had some issues with saving sessions, though I don't use it very much. I'll play around at some point, see if I can get a better idea of what's going wrong.

I'll also get around to putting up links to the Classical Function Words I've got, probably Saturday (after my tests), and to an updated NPCR list (I've now got all of book 4 done!)

Crash Report:
Flashcard Session
Test Type: Review Only
Show: Any Option With 'Audio'

If I Tap/Click-Button Past The Last Card Quickly,
ie Before The Hanzi Has Finished Reading.
PD2 Crashes.

Platform: Palm T5
Software: PD2b7(b)

Marc Vermeiren said:
Mike,
I'm pretty sure I had the right file. Just to be sure, I took the p2unihan.pdb (09.09.2008) from the pd2b7.zip file I downloaded again this morning from the forum. I removed the old one from the pda completely and copied the downloaded one again to my pda. I did a soft reset on the pda and the compound box still shows the codes after the character.
Marc
Mike,
I did a hard reset on my pda and used the same CF card with the same files (including p2unihan.pdb), only instead of all the Pleco files in the root directory of the card I moved them to //Pleco/ on the same card, and then I put the exe and dll in the Program Files/Pleco directory. The Character info in the Compounds box works normally now.

Shadowdh

状元
So far I am loving it... its so good now that I have switched from Pleco 1 and now use Pleco 2 as my main tool for learning Chinese. Love the audio, flashcards work really well now (although I still need to work out how to work them properly, eg placing cards into the flashcard profile of my choice), the reader is awesome and bookmarks work fine and the feature that marks the last place in the document and returns there is great... I have been playing with it for only a week or so now and will let you know if anything goes seriously wrong...

Using HTC TyTNII/Vario MDA III/Kaiser Win 6.1

Just starting with 7(b) on Tapcis (Palm).
Selecting the RU (enter) character, the entry screen now tries to size immediately for landscape, but is still a little off. Of the middle 4 buttons, the "Done" button has it's right edge cut off. Expanding and contracting the size corrects this (to verify the initial screen draw error).

Although wrong thread, please add a feature request to put a history drop down on this, so that we can recall previous entries as a starting point.

Importing a txt definition file left several items not showing the definitions, although they are there (in the file), and they show up when I select "edit card"...

Have sent you the file.