Beta 7(b) (stability-fix) Bug Report Thread

I cannot edit some "custom" entries. I can edit others.

In the file I just sent you, for example, I have one word with the hanzi and pinyin reversed, and wanted to change it. (Last entry).

*** EDIT ***
I was able to edit it by selecting the "Ru" key and then the "cut/copy/paste" menu was active, so that I could copy paste each field into the other.

So, perhaps it is because the cut/copy/paste menu isn't available from the "Edit Card" screen that is either a bug, or just unexpectedly missing.

If I select "Settings" and configure an advanced search: category = "fix" OR category = "DZ04" sort by Pron asc display full card (none) then it displays OK, but at the top is "Configure", which, when clicked, displays a screen without any of the selected settings.

I also don't understand why it lists "Advanced" at the top, instead of just "Multiple categories". However, that might be because when I click on "Advanced", it also just shows a new screen, without any of my preselected categories or logic.

Tapcis
In flashcard, using keys to mark as "known", "not known" (green / red), I still get keybounce, so that it will mark two cards that way, even though I haven't even seen the second card.

I am using the right buttons (landscape mode), not the joystick. I use UP for reveal, left (red) for wrong, and down (green) for correct.

When looping in flashcard review (after the first review cycle), cannot select characters anymore for individual lookup, etc. Clicking on them doesn't do anything.

In flashcard mode, if I select "Revew Only", the buttons I had assigned (reveal, correct, incorrect) do not work. I understand why correct/incorrect don't work, but if I am reviewing, and start with the headword, I'd like to be able to "reveal" the rest of the word. Obviously I'm missing something here! <smile>

I assumed that "review" means no scoring, not that it wouldn't show any of the remaining parts of the card (especially when the selection choices match up with other test modes).

goog1e

举人
Very minor points:

ABC example sentence error -- no chinese:

If you look up su4du4 (speed) in ABC the (1) definition gives the english definition and then an english example sentence but has no chinese. This is an extremely minor issue but it could possibly point to a larger problem with dictionary conversion..?

First Character transforming to 耜

For an earlier version I reported that the first character in flashcard headword can change to 耜 if I randomly highlight and randomly tap the character. It still exists here in b7(b). I can't seem to make the second character transform, only the first.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ipsi - are you running with your flashcard database in internal flash / on an SD card now or is it still set up as a PDB? It sounds like some files may be getting flushed from database cache (likely due to the file closings / freed memory that accompany a session ending) and something's going wrong over the course of that - saved sessions are likely a similar problem.

The Duelist - yeah, I'm seeing that here too; looks like the audio buffer is being freed while it's still playing in the background.

Marc Vermeiren - glad to hear that's cleared up, though we actually did manage to reproduce it here (by putting Unihan on top of the dictionary order) and have now added a filter that will make sure Unihan entries never come up in those sorts of searches.

Shadowdh - great! The flashcard section of the (just completed, hooray!) instruction manual is about twice as long as the dictionary section, so there's going to be a lot more information available on those very soon.

stephanhodges - we'll take a look at the screen bug. Text definition bug is now fixed per my e-mail - thanks for sending that, turned out the problem was that long custom card definitions would be skipped altogether if they were too long to fit in the buffer for them (rather than simply being truncated). I'm seeing the menu problem in Edit Card too, not sure what's going on there - almost looks like the Edit menu is flickering open momentarily and then closing again.

Sounds like the settings aren't being saved correctly in Manage Flashcards for some reason - it says Advanced rather than multiple categories because we use that one item to indicate that the search is too complicated to fit into that little top field (Configure is then supposed to take you to Search Settings). Though it's admittedly a bit cumbersome to have two (or three) different ways to access the same screen - a better approach would probably be to have a separate Search Settings for handling sort order / field / etc settings and an Advanced Search screen for multiple-item searches.

The hardware button bump timer code is definitely in / working in b7b, so this sounds like it might be a Tapwave-specific issue. Character Info etc might be disabled in review-only because the cards are never fully revealed; this is why correct/incorrect/etc don't work, if you want to hide and then show cards you should use Self-Scored with Scoring Type set to None in the Scoring tab of Advanced Settings; Review Only works the way it does because that's also how it worked in 1.0.

goog1e - looks like that example is missing in the original data file too; the example sentences were kind of in flux when we took delivery of the ABC database, so there are a few errors like that actually. A new edition of the ABC should be out soon so at that point we should be able to get some updated data files. The 耜 issue we still haven't managed to reproduce - the font rendering code on WM isn't quite as clean as we'd like it to be yet, there'll probably be a couple of big fixes for it in the 2.0.x releases.

kkuguru

秀才
Quick one.

Either the function to change flashcard categories names has been left out or I can't figure it out.

Thx,

K.

ipsi

状元
They're in internal memory (PQB). It doesn't seem to happen with CJKOS off, but I could be wrong about that. It's semi-reproduceable, in that with CJKOS on it will eventually crash if I mark all answers correct in the looping mode when reviewing incorrect cards.

Also, I've had the random character transformation on highlight thing once or twice. I've had to rapidly select/deselect the character though, so it doesn't show up very often. Also, it's not just being displayed incorrectly, it actually is a different character, with char info being correct for this new one and such. Highlighting again I think fixes it. It may have happened in the main dictionary screen, but I only recall it in Flashcards.

ipsi

状元
My crashing issue is very likely related to the '(loop)' option when reviewing incorrect cards - went through a new scorefile marking 10 at at a time wrong, then marking them all correct when I had to review them. Did this five or six times without '(loop)' checked, then turned it on. Did it once without a problem, then did it a second time and it crashed.

Another regression from 7(a). TAPCIS

When I manage categories, and then select "New", the entire screen gets messed up. Fortunately I "know" where the buttons are supposed to be, so I could tap on that spot on the screen to exit.

radioman

状元
With regard to input - (again with the disclaimer that I hope these were not brought up before...)

1) If I just write on the palm using graphiti, I input a single character, if I wait even briefly, the program goes off running, and I assume goes through everything. Finally comes back 10 seconds later. I do not know if it is just me delaying or what, but I think my request is that there be some sort of screening that if there is only one character in the search field, then no action is taken (I personally do not search on single character items). I bring this up because it happens to me a lot (maybe poor operator habits?). I currently have the search delay set to 1.5 seconds.

2) Minor but Annoying - If I have a word up already in the dictionary and am writing on the search line (e.g., inputting new text in the middle of the previous search string), and I put the cursor in the middle of the word to add more text, and then I go to the keyboard, the cursor position is lost (I believe in version 1 it was maintained).

3) Minor - If I do a search with the keyboard, the search happens before the word is placed back on the dictionary search line on the dictionary screen. So, basically the program is off and running for a few seconds with nothing on the search input line. In version 1, I do not believe it worked that way (could be wrong) - just a little disorienting because you are not sure if your input is entered right as it is off and running on the search. This problem appears intermittently - I will try to get more detail.

Tapcis 7(b)

In reader, top pane, embedded tab characters are invisible, but in the bottom (definition), they show up in the highlight bar as a large square. (I had a trailing tab on a line)

In general, I'm seeing more small screen corruptions with 7(b). I've already mentioned some of them.

From main definition, landscape, with input area showing (not full width screen), select "Send Entry To Reader" (I have it configured as a button). Then, exit. Screen is corrupted.

Shadowdh

状元
I am not sure if I have the right end of the stick here but is plecolaunch an app that launches the popup function only and not the whole program? if so at the moment whenever I start plecolaunch I get the whole program launching... of course I might have it wrong too... :oops:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
kkuguru - on Windows Mobile you change category names by simply double-tapping on them - the Windows tree-view control supported it and we thought it would be a nicer/cleaner interface than having a separate "Rename" button.

ipsi - OK, we'll hammer away on the loop code a bit. Interesting that the random transformation is happening on Palm as well as WM - must be something in the text field code.

radioman - we'll take a look at #1; another option you could try is to set the delay to "Button Only" and add a manual Search button to the Search Bar, that would ensure it would only start working when you were done entering your search. Good point on #2, it wouldn't be difficult to transfer the insertion point position between those fields along with the text. #3 sounds like we just need to redraw that field before we begin searching - definitely could be disorienting to have the thing hang up without giving you any indication of what it's doing.

stephanhodges - those extra screen glitches are related to a bug The Duelist mentioned a few pages ago, I think - we actually improved the redraw situation in general but we made one stupid mistake at the end of doing that which introduced some new problems.

Shadowdh - it launches the full program if it can't copy out the selected text from the application you're currently using. So it sounds like it's behaving correctly.

Shadowdh

状元
Ah I see I did have the wrong end of the stick there... I thought it just lauched the popup app without the program... thanks for clearing that up..

radioman

状元
A bit more info -

#1 I tried the manual search button before but did not like that as much as the current functionality. However, I guess I was just shooting for getting a function where if only one character was input, there would be no search done at all (or maybe a minimum # of characters as a settable parameter) or maybe it is just greatly delayed (like 3X whatever the default is set to...)

#2 - Great, no big deal but it is helpful to get the cursor placed.

#3 - I looked at this again, if you have the Pleco set to "clear" the input field when invoking the keyboard, then you can easily see after virtual keyboard entry that nothing will be written to the search line until the search is done. Very repeatable.

New - Really minor - Since I use the virtual keyboard a lot, I see this. On the Pleco menu bar, I placed the keyboard button up there, which is very handy. However, when invoking the keyboard, it draws the whole character (Hanzi) input area and then redraws the keyboard. Doesn't come off as a crisp presentation. I guess I could point to Pleco software, but it might be just as well to blame the Palm for lack of fast redraw - Again very minor, and ultimately the functions execute fine, I get to the keyboard pretty quick.

mikelove said:
radioman - we'll take a look at #1; another option you could try is to set the delay to "Button Only" and add a manual Search button to the Search Bar, that would ensure it would only start working when you were done entering your search. Good point on #2, it wouldn't be difficult to transfer the insertion point position between those fields along with the text. #3 sounds like we just need to redraw that field before we begin searching - definitely could be disorienting to have the thing hang up without giving you any indication of what it's doing.

Mator

秀才
Hey Mike,

I'm working with about ten friends here in Beijing getting them setup with Pleco and I'm seeing a common reset problem on the ones I've checked so far (all Treo 680). When selecting text/char in the definition, if you accidently pick up a period, comma, etc before the character and then popup a definition, the count on the bottom says "1/0" and if you tap on the down arrow it will reset. You can try it on 你 by selecting "~干" for a popup definition. Not a big deal if you're careful, but just annoying to those who experienced it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
radioman - it turns out there was a bug with Graffiti input, basically there were certain circumstances under which the search could run immediately after you entered a character without waiting for the timer; it's fixed in b7c. Same goes with #2/#3 I think.

The keyboard refresh issue unfortunately isn't something we can do much about, since we have to err on the side of refreshing too many times to avoid screen corruption / weird behavior on devices with resizeable screens; with all of the minor variations between Palm OS versions it's almost impossible to get the screen refreshing only the precise number of times it needs to on every system.

Mator - thanks, fixed the crash in b7c. (still comes up, but doesn't crash and doesn't do anything if you hit the scroll arrow)