Cantonese flashcard file format

The documentation for importing flashcards specifies a file format of {headword}{tab}{pinyin}{tab}{definition}. In the user interface for creating a new card there are two additional fields. Headword is split into traditional and simplified. And pronunciation is split into Mandarin and Cantonese options. Can these additional fields be accessed when importing a text file? More specifically I’m looking to do something along the lines of {traditional headword}{tab}{Jyutping pronunciation}{tab}{definition}. The simplified headword field and Mandarin pronunciation would presumably be nulls.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You can do that by putting just the Cantonese in the pronunciation tab, enclosed in {} brackets. Same thing for importing traditional without simplified, you'd enclose the entire contents of the headword field in [] brackets.

Alexis

状元
For cantonese flashcards with:
  • traditional characters
  • jyutping
  • simplified Mandarin and English definition
would this be a correct format?

啱啱{tab}ngaam1-ngaam1{tab}刚刚 gānggāng\njust now
介紹……比你食{tab}gaai3-siu6 …… bei2 nei5 sik1{tab}给你介绍…… gěi nǐ jièshào ……\nintroduce … to you

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, the Cantonese would have to be enclosed in {}s even if there was no pinyin - otherwise it would try to parse it as Pinyin.

Alexis

状元
Thanks Mike! Worked well! Here was my final format (including the suggestion for newlines taken from other forum posts):

啱啱{tab}{ngaam1-ngaam1}{tab}刚刚gānggāngjust
介紹……比你食{tab}{gaai3-siu6 ……bei2 nei5 sik6}{tab}给你介绍……gěi nǐ jièshào ……introduce … to you

Ria

If I wish to import a list of entries to my user dictionary with both simplified + pinyin and traditional + jyutping, how would this be structured?