Feature request (various things)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
TBH I'm not confident enough yet in that dictionary to push it forward in a bundle - I think before we could do that we'd need to invest a good bit in editorial work.

Wan

榜眼
Not sure whether this has been asked for before: I would love a way to remove all the flashcard-related buttons from menus and bars. Because (I assume) there are many people (like me) who don’t use the flashcard system, and yet end up with a lot of cards in their database. That’s because these buttons are everywhere ;)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Interesting suggestion, but would actually be a good bit of work (each of those flash buttons has to be separately hidden and the UI has to not look silly when we do) so to be honest I think we'd need to see a lot more requests for this before we could consider it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Also already implemented for 4.0 - dictionary entries are now basically little XML processing instruction tags in the middle of text definitions, so you can easily include more than one in a particular card field. (same mechanism will also allow you to embed cards in other cards with custom formatting schemas, e.g. if you want to create a bunch of custom example sentences as cards and them stick them into your custom vocabulary cards)

Peter

榜眼
Occasionally my headword searches produce no results (C-E/C-C), but there is an exact match in the example sentences section with English text. If would help me if Pleco included these directly in the search results.

Random examples from my user dict where I horde these: 水泥板,堆雪人,浑人无力,身心疲惫,生炉子,体力活

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Go into Settings / Manage Dictionary Groups/ Full-text, Chn dicts and turn off "full-text search only" - that will cause these to come up automatically just like full-text English results do.

HW60

状元
This is a comfortable way to do a full text search, but now my user dictionary, which is on top of my dictionaries, is only shown after several button taps. Is there a setting to show the top dictionary first even with the above dictionary group setting?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Settings / Search Engine / Dictionary Switching / Dict search order -> "From first" should do that.

sahal

秀才
Flashcards: add ability to create new flashcard from example sentences

E.g. I have added a dictionary-based flashcard for 没有 to my reading test, because I learnt that 没有{noun} is the translation for "does not have {noun}". After some time, I learn that 没有{noun}{adjective} means "not as {adjective} as {noun}". A few days later, I come across my 没有 flashcard again.

I might of course try to remember that 没有 can have more than one meaning, and then try to remember each possible translation every time I see the flashcard. But to me it seems easier and more natural to have different flashcards for 没有 in different contexts.

What I would like:

The PLC dictionary offers two example sentences for "not as {adjective} as {noun}", one of them being 我弟弟没有他聪明.

Assuming I come across a flashcard that

-has 没有 as question,
-is PLC dict-based and
-is in categories cat2 and cat7,

there should be an easy way to add a flashcard with 我弟弟没有他聪明 +Pinyin from PLC +Translation from PLC to my batch. Categories should again be cat2 and cat7, score can be 100.

Ideally, all that should be necessary is a long tap on the sentence and maybe a short confirmation/feedback tap.

My real concern is of course not 没有, but vocabulary with a few more not-so-obvious translations, such as 头 or 对.

Also in flashcards: add some randomization to scores (maybe +- 10%). If I lapse a few days and/or repeat very many cards in one day, it means that I will again have to repeat very many in 32/64/128... days from now. Some randomization could make cards more evenly distributed.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Already supported - "+ for each example" in Settings / Definition Screen.

We support randomly altering intervals as a batch command in Organize Cards but don't yet do it totally automatically.

sahal

秀才
I was not aware of "+ for each example". Very neat and comes really close. Do you think it is possible/desirable to enable this during flashcard tests? Right now I need about four taps to go to the dictionary, one for adding the flashcard, and two taps to return.

Last edited:

举人
Just a dictionary I've come across

http://en.fltrp.com/book/7081

A Chinese-English Dictionary of International Trade & Finance
汉英国际贸易和金融词典

Looks promising, good content and a reputable publisher.

If Pleco would be able to get more specialized dictionaries like this that would be fantastic. That said I understand the profitability of these specialized dictionaries can be difficult to justify (ie Zhongshan)

shaluig

举人
Hi,
Don't know if it's the right place to post this request, it's about Grand Ricci. I purchased it three days ago and I must say it's way over my expectations,
this piece of knowledge is extraordinary, even more when you're a native french :)
Anyway, I noticed there are sometimes references to "Dossier". I don't think they are included in the electronic form of the dictionary, is there any way these dossiers should be within reach in a near future ? In form of detached files, .pdf ?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks!

We're trying to get our hands on them but it's taking a while. (Ricci now is essentially a bunch of volunteers, not a regular publisher with a digital content director or whatever)