Pleco for Android Beta 3 Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Post bug reports on the latest beta here. (all the new features mean there should be quite a few of them...)

When you're reporting a crash, please attach a crash log if possible; the CatLog and aLogcat utilities (free in Android Market) should make this easy. Thanks!

Hi Mike,

Was really looking forward to using your app on my new phone, but I couldn't get anywhere.

I downloaded and installed it ok, then when it opened it asked me i'd like to download your software, If I click 'Yes', it immediately says 'Failed', if I click 'No', the program simply closes.

I'm using an HTC Desire S S510e with Android 2.3.3

Hope it's working soon

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
salparadise said:
Hi Mike,

Was really looking forward to using your app on my new phone, but I couldn't get anywhere.

I downloaded and installed it ok, then when it opened it asked me i'd like to download your software, If I click 'Yes', it immediately says 'Failed', if I click 'No', the program simply closes.

I'm using an HTC Desire S S510e with Android 2.3.3

Hope it's working soon

Might be a server issue - can you connect to the internet successfully from your phone? Any restrictions on which countries it can connect to? You could also try installing files from your computer per the instructions in the Beta 3 announcement.

neilperks

进士
Hi Mike,

Have a slow mobile connection here in Beijing, so downloaded the complete zip file direct from the server and went ok. Copied the complete unzipped folder structure to my external SD card as stated in the instructions.

Then downloaded the APK, installed and launched Pleco. It transferred my license no problem then proceeded to download all the files I had just downloaded again. On checking, it had not recognised the files I had placed on the external SD card and was downloading them again to the internal SD. Now I have a system with the files on the internal SD card; how can I transfer to external SD and get Pleco to recognise them ?

Thanks

Neil

I would like the option to set the character set to be traditional chinese as a default. Right now, you can change the charset to traditional when inside a dictionary entry, but then it doesn't stick. I'm having to change the charset to traditional every time I look up a word (that differs b/w traditional and simplified).

Thanks!

UPDATE: And of course I look in the settings, and indeed you can default to traditional :> Sorry for the false alarm.

neilperks

进士
OK Mike,

Have sorted the issue manually.

Under "File Storage Location" in the "General" settings it is set to "System Default (usually external)", but although it says this it actually installs in "Internal". So basically I had to copy "com.pleco.chinesesystem" from the "Android/data/" directory on the internal SD to "Android/data" directory on the external SD (after having manually created "Android/data" file structure). Then I changed the "Custom Location" to the new location on the external drive.

Once I verified it was working I deleted the Pleco contents on the internal SD CARD.

Seems ok now :)

Cheers

Neil

boen

Hello Mike,

Today I updated to beta 3 from the previous version. Everything went well until I tried to use OCR. Unfortunately it's crashing Pleco when I open OCR.

I've tried restarting Pleco, restarting my phone, and a complete re-install of Pleco. No luck yet.

I'm on android 2.2.1, Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate. OCR was working with the previous version.

Let me know if you need any other info. Thank you.

ipsi

状元
You need to check how much space is available on the SD Card before starting downloads - I was able to install most of the add-ons, but the Extended Female wouldn't install, and I wasn't sure why. When I checked how much free space I had ( < 150 MiB), I figured that was the likely problem. Sure enough, after deleting some old PD files, I was able to install everything successfully. I would also like to see a notification item showing me that Pleco is downloading (and all related information), along with notifications if it's unable to complete a download for some reason.

All files were downloaded over 3G (I have a huge data allowance, so that's not a big concern to me), but I think it would be good to have some sort of warning in place when downloading addons that some of them are very large, and it might be a better idea to use WiFI - but still allow 3G.

Also, when using the 'fill-in-the-blanks' test mode, the keyboard doesn't seem to appear at all - I have to hold down the menu button to get it to show up, which is slightly awkward - it should show up as soon as you change to that screen. I also had to hit the back button twice before it would exit. Maybe the keyboard had 'appeared' but was hidden underneath other UI elements?

Apart from that, initial impressions are good. I moved my flashcards to the correct location, and they still work (Pleco happily found all the categories and profiles and such), which is pretty good given that I created them years ago on Windows Mobile :)

ipsi

状元
When doing "Tone Practice", it's not possible to advance past a card if one of the characters is in brackets. e.g. 零(下) - it displays the correct pronunciation, but entering the tones does not automatically advance the test, nor does hitting the "Check Card" button. It just sits there. Should be possible to skip it, though I didn't check that.

It's also possible to delete the pinyin in the "Tone Practice" test. I'm not sure why you'd want to, but it is possible. Since the keyboard doesn't show by default, you have to press-hold the menu button to display it.

erans

Orientation is sideways when I use OCR on a Droid 2. Did not have this problem in the previous version. Not sure how to fix it.

KaiSun

Hey Mike,
I updated my Pleco from beta 2 to beta 3 today (I own a galaxy s running 2.2.1) and was happy that I am finally able to use the flashcards testing mode . Unfortunately every time I try to enter the OCR, the app crashes immediately. I tried several times, also rebooted the phone, but it's still the same problem, do you have any idea how it is caused?

thanks in advance

Kai

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
boen said:
Today I updated to beta 3 from the previous version. Everything went well until I tried to use OCR. Unfortunately it's crashing Pleco when I open OCR.

I've tried restarting Pleco, restarting my phone, and a complete re-install of Pleco. No luck yet.

I'm on android 2.2.1, Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate. OCR was working with the previous version.

That's odd, we test on the Galaxy S a lot and haven't had any recent crashing issues. Could you PM or email me your crash logs? You can get them with the free Android Market utilities aLogcat or CatLog. Also, does it help matters any if you reset settings to defaults (in Settings / General)?

ipsi said:
You need to check how much space is available on the SD Card before starting downloads - I was able to install most of the add-ons, but the Extended Female wouldn't install, and I wasn't sure why. When I checked how much free space I had ( < 150 MiB), I figured that was the likely problem. Sure enough, after deleting some old PD files, I was able to install everything successfully. I would also like to see a notification item showing me that Pleco is downloading (and all related information), along with notifications if it's unable to complete a download for some reason.

All files were downloaded over 3G (I have a huge data allowance, so that's not a big concern to me), but I think it would be good to have some sort of warning in place when downloading addons that some of them are very large, and it might be a better idea to use WiFI - but still allow 3G.

Very good points, thanks!

ipsi said:
Also, when using the 'fill-in-the-blanks' test mode, the keyboard doesn't seem to appear at all - I have to hold down the menu button to get it to show up, which is slightly awkward - it should show up as soon as you change to that screen. I also had to hit the back button twice before it would exit. Maybe the keyboard had 'appeared' but was hidden underneath other UI elements?

There actually should be a custom Pleco keyboard popping up there instead (we force-hide the system one since we can't control its hiding / showing consistently). So you go into that screen now and there's nothing? Do you have an external keyboard attached to your phone by any chance?

ipsi said:
When doing "Tone Practice", it's not possible to advance past a card if one of the characters is in brackets. e.g. 零(下) - it displays the correct pronunciation, but entering the tones does not automatically advance the test, nor does hitting the "Check Card" button. It just sits there. Should be possible to skip it, though I didn't check that.

Hmm, strange about that since we haven't had reports of similar problems on iOS and this is basically the same code for generating + checking answers.

ipsi said:
It's also possible to delete the pinyin in the "Tone Practice" test. I'm not sure why you'd want to, but it is possible. Since the keyboard doesn't show by default, you have to press-hold the menu button to display it.

Probably easiest if we just mark those fields as non-editable, actually, since we've got those big friendly tone buttons and the system doesn't need to know they even support a keyboard.

erans said:
Orientation is sideways when I use OCR on a Droid 2. Did not have this problem in the previous version. Not sure how to fix it.

The system must be reporting an unusual physical camera orientation... by sideways do you mean that it's rotated clockwise or counterclockwise?

KaiSun said:
I updated my Pleco from beta 2 to beta 3 today (I own a galaxy s running 2.2.1) and was happy that I am finally able to use the flashcards testing mode . Unfortunately every time I try to enter the OCR, the app crashes immediately. I tried several times, also rebooted the phone, but it's still the same problem, do you have any idea how it is caused?

Could you PM or email me your crash logs? You can get them with the free Android Market utilities aLogcat or CatLog. Also, does it help matters any if you reset settings to defaults (in Settings / General)?

neilperks

进士
Hi Mike,

Not sure whether this is a bug or not?; but when I'm in Pleco and want to increase the volume of the audio (as it's quieter than most media), I press the hard volume up key on the phone, but this simply changes the phone "ring" volume. In most programmes with audio output pressing these keys changes the "media" volume which is what is required.

At the moment I need to go into "phone settings>sound>media volume" before and after each time I start Pleco to adjust, which is a pain.

Unless, of course, I'm missing the obvious, which is quite possible :).

Cheers

Neil

ipsi

状元
mikelove said:
There actually should be a custom Pleco keyboard popping up there instead (we force-hide the system one since we can't control its hiding / showing consistently). So you go into that screen now and there's nothing? Do you have an external keyboard attached to your phone by any chance?

I go to the screen, and I see all the relevant test stuff (headword, pron, definition, etc.), and the various buttons. As I said, I can also enter in text by forcing Android to display a keyboard. But I see no evidence of a custom Pleco keyboard... I also don't use an external keyboard (as far as I'm aware - I'd be pretty worried if it turned out I was!)

So I am trying to import some flash card lists from text file and it doesn't seem to do anything. It says importing than there's nothing there. Any ideas?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
JimmyTheSaint said:
The "false starts" problem (described at http://www.plecoforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2734&p=22741#p22741) continues. Subsequent re-launches of Pleco fail to load the program, and you have to return to the home screen and press the Pleco icon again.

That's odd... might be a crash, could you send me a crash log immediately after that happens? (i.e., after it fails to start) You can generate those with the free Android Market utilities aLogcat and CatLog.

justinrp97 said:
So I am trying to import some flash card lists from text file and it doesn't seem to do anything. It says importing than there's nothing there. Any ideas?

That was a crash in Beta 3 that should be fixed in Beta 3b - download that from pleco.com/getandroid as before.

HedgePig

举人
Hello

I've just installed Android Beta 3 and came across a strange bug while playing around. I'm very new to Pleco (downloaded for the first time 10 hours ago) so maybe I'm doing something wrong - here's what I was experiencing:
I looked up the character 须 by radical. I entered the 3 claws and then wanted to select 须 from the choices that were shown. However, touching on 须 didn't do anything.
(1) Any other character on the screen that I tried, I could select without a problem.
(2) I had no problems with other characters based on different radicals.
(3) The 须 appears as the 1st character on the 2nd line of choices. With other radicals, I could select from this position on the screen without any problem.

In case it helps, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy SII

Regards
HedgePig