Pleco for Android Beta 3 Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
villagepark said:
Using a Tmobile galaxy S T959 andriod 2.2 kernel 2.6.32.9

OCR does not work. Whenever i click it (from the menu or the input list) the screen freezes for a bit and then goes to a black screen with just the andriod notification bar on the top for a while and then finally it goes back to the home screen and i get a popup saying that pleco has crashed.

Could you send me your crash log? You can use the free Android Market utilities aLogcat or CatLog to generate it.

cai said:
Sorry, I don't have Huawei myself anymore... had it for a while... it was just 7$... sold it for a decent profit
The picture was from my brother's phone. I think he has 2.2 and has no plans updating to 2.3 any time soon.
So I guess we have to wait for someone else to test this now. Maybe the user, eemeli, who first posted about the orientation issue on Huawei could help you out.

We should probably try to get one here anyway, actually - given our customer base, there are likely to be a lot of other people buying them in spite of their limited presence in the US, and similarly buggy camera rotation code is an issue on a lot of other Android devices too.

cai said:
I'm still using iPhone myself (mainly because of Pleco) but would like to switch to Android for other reasons. But the fragmentation seems to be such a chore with Android as this thread shows out

Indeed, this is why we're planning on releasing a hardware compatibility list with the finished version. And why we're probably going to make it next to impossible to buy OCR without trying out the demo of it first, to discourage people from buying it on incompatible phones and subsequently 1-starring us.

leynux

举人
I transferred OCR detection to document Reader, SAVED it..

unfortunately, later UNable to open the saved file from within the document reader.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
leynux said:

unfortunately, later UNable to open the saved file from within the document reader.

What happened when you tried? Did it refuse to open the file with an error message, did it silently refuse to open it by crashing, or did it not even list it in the available files to open?

mikelove said:
villagepark said:
Using a Tmobile galaxy S T959 andriod 2.2 kernel 2.6.32.9

OCR does not work. Whenever i click it (from the menu or the input list) the screen freezes for a bit and then goes to a black screen with just the andriod notification bar on the top for a while and then finally it goes back to the home screen and i get a popup saying that pleco has crashed.

Could you send me your crash log? You can use the free Android Market utilities aLogcat or CatLog to generate it.

attached is the log. also note that every once and a while my pleco will freeze and error out for no apparent reason, sometimes it wont even open. Perhaps this is related.

Attachments

• plecoocrerror.txt
    8.9 KB · Views: 695

leynux

举人
mikelove said:
leynux said:

What happened when you tried? Did it refuse to open the file with an error message, did it silently refuse to open it by crashing, or did it not even list it in the available files to open?

It lists all the file saved with the program reader, but later it refuse to open with error msg: "Not a text file - Pleco doc reader currently only supports text files"

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
villagepark said:
attached is the log. also note that every once and a while my pleco will freeze and error out for no apparent reason, sometimes it wont even open. Perhaps this is related.

Thanks! Looks like the OCR issue is happening because you're using the original Beta 3 rather than the rapidly bug-fixed Beta 3b; download Beta 3b by typing pleco.com/getandroid into your device's web browser and that should fix OCR.

As far as the other freezes, if you'd send me your crash log the next time that happens that should help us get to the bottom of it.

leynux said:
It lists all the file saved with the program reader, but later it refuse to open with error msg: "Not a text file - Pleco doc reader currently only supports text files"

Sounds like our system saved a file without adding a .txt extension to it - use your device's built-in file manager utility to rename it to end in .txt and the reader should then be willing to open it. We'll fix the saving end of this in a future beta, but in the meantime just make sure that any file you save ends in .txt.

leynux

举人
mikelove said:
leynux said:
sorry, it's not really garbage.. it's non ending incorrect characters on live OCR.

Ah, that usually means the image is poorly-lit or out of focus so that the system still thinks there are characters there to recognize but can't see them clearly enough to have a reliable idea of what they look like.

I tick "Default to macro mode" on my Samsung Galaxy S2, never ending incorrect characters almost never happened. Works as it should be..
./thanks.

leynux

举人
mikelove said:
leynux said:

Sounds like our system saved a file without adding a .txt extension to it - use your device's built-in file manager utility to rename it to end in .txt and the reader should then be willing to open it. We'll fix the saving end of this in a future beta, but in the meantime just make sure that any file you save ends in .txt.

From OCR when I send to Document reader, is there anyway so i can APPEND the text instead of replacing the open document?

neilperks

进士
Hi Mike,

Maybe a problem with the User Dictionary. I can create entries for the dictionary, but can't edit them. If bring up a word I created in the User Dictionary then click on "New/Edit Entry" at the bottom of the page it just provides me with an empty entry where I can add a new word, but can't find anything to edit an existing word, so in order to update an entry I have to create a new entry then delete the old one. If I right click on the entry and choose "edit entry" it simply pauses for a few seconds then goes back to the entry screen without doing anything.

I was thinking maybe the edit entry is not implemented yet ?

Cheers

Neil

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
leynux said:
I tick "Default to macro mode" on my Samsung Galaxy S2, never ending incorrect characters almost never happened. Works as it should be..
./thanks.

Ah, must have been a focus issue then - perhaps we should make defaulting to macro mode the normal setting on devices that support it.

leynux said:
From OCR when I send to Document reader, is there anyway so i can APPEND the text instead of replacing the open document?

Not at the moment, but we support a similar feature on iOS so it would not be unreasonable to add it on Android as well.

neilperks said:
Maybe a problem with the User Dictionary. I can create entries for the dictionary, but can't edit them. If bring up a word I created in the User Dictionary then click on "New/Edit Entry" at the bottom of the page it just provides me with an empty entry where I can add a new word, but can't find anything to edit an existing word, so in order to update an entry I have to create a new entry then delete the old one. If I right click on the entry and choose "edit entry" it simply pauses for a few seconds then goes back to the entry screen without doing anything.

I was thinking maybe the edit entry is not implemented yet ?

It's implemented but it sounds like it's bugged in your case - the right-click / tap-hold option is our intended way of editing user dictionary entries. Could you try that Edit Entry command again and then email or PM me the crash log?

Daan

秀才
Congratulations on this new beta, it's excellent. The HWR is working just fine now on my HTC Wildfire, no more invisible strokes. There's just one bug I've found so far: I just bought the HWR add-on from your online store, and then I received an e-mail with my order confirmation. It said this:
Information for product 'Pleco Fullscreen Handwriting Recognizer for Android':

NEW REGISTRATION ID: AAAA AAAA AAAA

I've edited out the specific ID, but this was the idea. When I entered this ID on my phone and clicked "register", Pleco force-closed immediately. Then, I tried "AAAAAAAAAAAA", so without the spaces present in the e-mail, and that worked smoothly. Oddly enough, Pleco is now displaying my registration ID as "AAAA AAAA AAAA" in the settings menu, though. I didn't have the presence of mind to save the crash logs using aLogCat, but this should be easy to reproduce. If not, just let me know and I'll be happy to try again, although you may need to give me a new registration ID to test this in that case? Or could I just deregister this instance of Pleco and then register it again using the same ID?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Daan said:
When I entered this ID on my phone and clicked "register", Pleco force-closed immediately. Then, I tried "AAAAAAAAAAAA", so without the spaces present in the e-mail, and that worked smoothly. Oddly enough, Pleco is now displaying my registration ID as "AAAA AAAA AAAA" in the settings menu, though. I didn't have the presence of mind to save the crash logs using aLogCat, but this should be easy to reproduce. If not, just let me know and I'll be happy to try again, although you may need to give me a new registration ID to test this in that case? Or could I just deregister this instance of Pleco and then register it again using the same ID?

If you don't mind trying again then that would be great, thanks - deregistering and re-registering with the same ID should work fine. We've got another user reporting a similar registration crashing issue but we haven't been able to come up with an explanation or a workaround yet.

Daan

秀才
Sure, no problem. I just deregistered and then re-registered Pleco with the same ID, with the spaces in there. This time it didn't force-close, though, so I guess that doesn't help you pinpoint the bug either.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Daan said:
Sure, no problem. I just deregistered and then re-registered Pleco with the same ID, with the spaces in there. This time it didn't force-close, though, so I guess that doesn't help you pinpoint the bug either.

Must be something else, then - we'll keep looking at the code. Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
justinrp97 said:
I've been unable to resume flashcard sessions. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Could be a bug - what happens when you try to resume one? Does it give you an error message or just silently fail?

mikelove said:
justinrp97 said:
I've been unable to resume flashcard sessions. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Could be a bug - what happens when you try to resume one? Does it give you an error message or just silently fail?[/quot

Well if I exit a session it asks me if I want to save it to resume later. But I don't see a specific button to resume an old session. If I hit the start session button, it doesn't ask me if I want to resume and old one it just starts over.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
justinrp97 said:
Well if I exit a session it asks me if I want to save it to resume later. But I don't see a specific button to resume an old session. If I hit the start session button, it doesn't ask me if I want to resume and old one it just starts over.

What about if you exit the flashcard screen too (go all the way back to the dictionary), then reopen it - does that work any better?

mikelove said:
justinrp97 said:

What about if you exit the flashcard screen too (go all the way back to the dictionary), then reopen it - does that work any better?
Nope same thing. If no one else is having this problem I could try reinstalling if you think it might be a problem specifically with my install.

hakodate

I have the same problem as neilperks had. The system can't find most of my files and wants to download everything again. I upgraded from beta 2 and everything was fine before. I tried pointing the custom file default to SD card android/data/com.pleco.chinesesytem. but that did not help.

Is there a solution or fix for this?