Pleco for Android Beta 3 Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Marc Vermeiren said:
The number shown in Flashcards=>Review Flashcards=>Card Gategories is incremental. If I choose 10 categories to review, and then delete all my categories, the number is not zero , but 10. If I start fresh, import cards again and choose another 10 categories, the number becomes 20, and so on.

Hmm... it's normal that it wouldn't update right after you'd deleted those categories, but it should at least do so when you enter the screen, select new ones, and exit... we'll investigate this, thanks.

Marc Vermeiren said:
On the Xoom, the checkboxes on the screen for choosing categories for review don't show.

Yeah, looks like another 3.2 bug... good thing we're catching these now instead of after Ice Cream Sandwich hits. Thanks.

sthubbar

榜眼
Mike,

FYI, about the OCR being upside down. I have also notice in another application that the orientation is upside down.

I downloaded Bubble, which is a bubble level and when the phone is upright, the bubble is in the bottom of the level instead the top where it should be. Same if phone is flipped 180 degrees the bubble is in the bottom.

Interesting thing is that when the phone is on either side, the bubble is to the top as it should be.

I don't know if this behavior is unique to the Chacha, or if is is a problem with other Androids. Just thought I'd let you know that this is probably contributing to why the OCR is also upside down.

sfrrr

状元
Wow! I have Bubble and my pix also arrive upside down on OCR on my galaxy s2. the problem is that bubble was the first app I installed on my phone, so I can't say whether or not I would have had the problem without it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sthubbar said:
Mike,

FYI, about the OCR being upside down. I have also notice in another application that the orientation is upside down.

I downloaded Bubble, which is a bubble level and when the phone is upright, the bubble is in the bottom of the level instead the top where it should be. Same if phone is flipped 180 degrees the bubble is in the bottom.

Interesting thing is that when the phone is on either side, the bubble is to the top as it should be.

I don't know if this behavior is unique to the Chacha, or if is is a problem with other Androids. Just thought I'd let you know that this is probably contributing to why the OCR is also upside down.

I'm pretty sure it's the ChaCha - very few Android phones have a landscape screen aspect ratio in portrait orientation, so it confuses a lot of apps.

sfrrr said:
Wow! I have Bubble and my pix also arrive upside down on OCR on my galaxy s2. the problem is that bubble was the first app I installed on my phone, so I can't say whether or not I would have had the problem without it.

Are they upside-down or just poorly recognized? My impression from your earlier post was that it just didn't seem to be very accurate... is the picture upside-down, are the characters random gibberish or is it just that they don't appear at all (the system acts like it's looking at a blank page)?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
FWIW, our Galaxy S2 finally arrived today and we've already reproduced / fixed the OCR bug - related to an Android glitch, the system was sometimes waiting until the camera preview had already been running for half a second or so before hiding the status bar. We haven't yet figured out whether it's something Samsung-specific or simply a generic dual-core thing (the S2 being far and away the most popular dual-core Android phone at the moment). Though as it happens, even if we hadn't found this fix we probably would have seen the problem go away in the next beta anyway since we're leaning towards leaving the status bar visible by default (people can be in OCR for long enough that they actually want to know the time / battery status).

But basically, while it won't work very well in the current beta, in general it seems like the Galaxy S2 should be a pretty safe purchase, though we won't be 100% sure about this until we release another beta with our changes and confirm that the issue is fixed on other people's Galaxies too.

sfrrr

状元
Sorry, mike. Don't know how I missed your reply. I've used a photo editor to rotate the image to right side up. (which makes it upside down everywhere else), but I still can't get ocr to recognize more than one in ten characters correctly. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

mfcb

状元
hi mike, another thing, that might be related to the audio volume bug mentioned earlier:

when i connect my bluetooth headset with my phone, everything (music, video, games...) sends sound to it, EXCEPT PLECO, the audio (both male and female) turn completely mute. just the clicks to the "sound" button can be heard (which is of course not what i want, hehe)

might still be a problem of my phone and/or setup, so might be good if you confirm the bug or someone else reports if its working for them...

edit: "phone" means Samsung Galaxy S2

mfcb

状元
next error:

clipboard monitor active, selected a GF (guifan) entry (你来我往), document reader opens and opens and opens and opens.... looks like an endless loop

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sfrrr said:
Sorry, mike. Don't know how I missed your reply. I've used a photo editor to rotate the image to right side up. (which makes it upside down everywhere else), but I still can't get ocr to recognize more than one in ten characters correctly. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Well that's odd, our Galaxy S2 doesn't seem to be exhibiting the same symptoms... which way is your Galaxy oriented when you take the pictures? If you don't run them through a photo editor but just rotate the original images with the built-in rotation controls in Pleco, does that help any?

mfcb said:
hi mike, another thing, that might be related to the audio volume bug mentioned earlier:

when i connect my bluetooth headset with my phone, everything (music, video, games...) sends sound to it, EXCEPT PLECO, the audio (both male and female) turn completely mute. just the clicks to the "sound" button can be heard (which is of course not what i want, hehe)

might still be a problem of my phone and/or setup, so might be good if you confirm the bug or someone else reports if its working for them...

Well that's odd, we're playing audio as a music stream so it should get treated exactly like your music does. The volume bug mentioned earlier only affects the volume control (and we've already fixed it internally with a function call that specifically tells the OS that we want the volume buttons to control the music volume). So there aren't any other apps for which the audio won't play over Bluetooth? What model of headset is this? Does it work any better if you play a really long audio sample, like a Chengyu?

mfcb said:
clipboard monitor active, selected a GF (guifan) entry (你来我往), document reader opens and opens and opens and opens.... looks like an endless loop

Yeah, that one needs some major work in order to make it useable I think, thanks.

mfcb

状元
mikelove said:
Well that's odd, we're playing audio as a music stream so it should get treated exactly like your music does. The volume bug mentioned earlier only affects the volume control (and we've already fixed it internally with a function call that specifically tells the OS that we want the volume buttons to control the music volume). So there aren't any other apps for which the audio won't play over Bluetooth? What model of headset is this? Does it work any better if you play a really long audio sample, like a Chengyu?
tried 说曹操,曹操到, same effect. no sound except the click. but before and after test, video sound from qqplayer without any problems...

I just wanted to add that the bug affecting the Galaxy S II seems to also affect the Galaxy Player (4.0 at least), likely because of the shared design. The camera displays a mirror image of the actual orientation when I attempt to use OCR. (My guess is this will likewise be fixed if the Galaxy S gets fixed in the next beta).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
mfcb said:
tried 说曹操,曹操到, same effect. no sound except the click. but before and after test, video sound from qqplayer without any problems...

Hmm... what model of headset is this? It looks like the dusty old Bluetooth headset we normally use for testing has now died, so I guess we'll have to go get a new one to try to reproduce this with.

fishcupcakes said:
I just wanted to add that the bug affecting the Galaxy S II seems to also affect the Galaxy Player (4.0 at least), likely because of the shared design. The camera displays a mirror image of the actual orientation when I attempt to use OCR. (My guess is this will likewise be fixed if the Galaxy S gets fixed in the next beta).

Actually the S2's problem isn't a mirror image thing, it's just that the image data gets garbled and you end up with a random string of garbage characters, so this is something new. By "mirror image" do you mean that it's flipped or that it's rotated?

Supaiku

举人
The Document Reader option for switching dictionaries works (in the bubble), but the long-press menu is blank (though you can select dictionaries - just... who knows which one you're selecting).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Supaiku said:
The Document Reader option for switching dictionaries works (in the bubble), but the long-press menu is blank (though you can select dictionaries - just... who knows which one you're selecting).

Thanks - already reported and should be fixed in the next beta.

Supaiku

举人
mikelove said:
Supaiku said:

Thanks - already reported and should be fixed in the next beta.
:!: :oops: :mrgreen:

mfcb

状元
mikelove said:
Hmm... what model of headset is this?
its a "SolarVoice 908", has solar cells on it to charge in the sun, hehe
worked perfect on my old WinMo TouchPro, and also with my SGS2, except for pleco :(

Giraffe

举人
On my Palm, after I finished the day's flashcard test, I was able to go back and review the cards that I had got wrong in the test. Now on the Android, at the end of the test I just get the "Session Complete" message with no option to review the problem cards.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or whether I'm just not seeing a configuration option.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
mfcb said:
its a "SolarVoice 908", has solar cells on it to charge in the sun, hehe
worked perfect on my old WinMo TouchPro, and also with my SGS2, except for pleco :(

OK, reproduced and fixed with a different headset - weird little issue relating to the minimum size of the audio buffer (basically the system didn't want to send any less than 1/4 of a second of audio to the headset at a time, and we were trying to use smaller chunks of it to save a bit of memory).

Giraffe said:
On my Palm, after I finished the day's flashcard test, I was able to go back and review the cards that I had got wrong in the test. Now on the Android, at the end of the test I just get the "Session Complete" message with no option to review the problem cards.

That's an option under "End-of-session" - "Repeat incorrect."

Giraffe

举人
mikelove said:
Giraffe said:

That's an option under "End-of-session" - "Repeat incorrect."

That's not what I'm seeing. I have three buttons: "Continue", "Continue w/o dates" and "Stop"

mfcb

状元
document reader, if i select the option to display the translation always at the bottom, when the text nears the end it does not "go up" the translation, and is therefore hidden by it... somehow this spoils the efficiency for looking at the sentence structure in the text, and checking the different dictionaries for a word...