Pleco for Android Beta 3 Bug Report Thread

hakodate

Ignore my last post. I re-downloaded the data files to my PC, Transferred them to the appropriate android/data folder which is where the system looks for them.

It wasn't 100% clear to me I had to do this but on second reading noticed the comment about the files being in a different place.

leynux

举人
Very nice to have built-in document reader, is it possible to have option "Screen to stay ON while reading", and to maintain landscape orientation view while reading. :)

leynux

举人
This is my first time using pleco Flashcard, I added a NEW category of flashcard, I can Review all test types on the New created category except Stroke Order test. Notification msg "No Cards Found ... "

If I select the default Uncategorized, the review works find. Anything I miss on setting?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
justinrp97 said:
Nope same thing. If no one else is having this problem I could try reinstalling if you think it might be a problem specifically with my install.

No, we're seeing it here too now - should be fixable in the next beta, thanks!

leynux said:
Very nice to have built-in document reader, is it possible to have option "Screen to stay ON while reading", and to maintain landscape orientation view while reading. :)

Both good options, we'll see if we can get them in the next beta. Thanks.

leynux said:
This is my first time using pleco Flashcard, I added a NEW category of flashcard, I can Review all test types on the New created category except Stroke Order test. Notification msg "No Cards Found ... "

If I select the default Uncategorized, the review works find. Anything I miss on setting?

Turn off "limit unlearned" in Card Selection and that should fix this - useful feature but perhaps not one that we should leave on by default.

In Review Flashcards=>Card Categories=>(in my case)NPCR the different books are not in alphabetical order, clicking on a book, the chapters are not in alphabetical order. Is it the program or the PQB file? (Mike, do you still have my PQB file or should I resend it to you?).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Marc Vermeiren said:
In Review Flashcards=>Card Categories=>(in my case)NPCR the different books are not in alphabetical order, clicking on a book, the chapters are not in alphabetical order. Is it the program or the PQB file? (Mike, do you still have my PQB file or should I resend it to you?).

Were they in alphabetical order when you originally imported them? I'm having a hard time thinking of a way that there might be a bug that would cause this that wouldn't have shown up a year ago on iOS (the relevant code hasn't changed much), but if they were out of order in the import file, or if the import file had been scrambled / reordered somehow, that would certainly explain it. We'll take a look at your file and see if we can come up with anything, though.

On the alphabetical order of cards:

I tried to wipe all cards (and import them again to check) by going Flashcards=>Organize Cards and deleting the categories. Eventually I ended up with all cards in the Uncategorized category. I selected that category and did Edit=>Batch=>Apply changes to all cards=>Remove cards from category. The cards were not wiped. I tried different things, I don't seem to be able to wipe all cards. My mistake or a bug?

I finally undid my last import, which wiped my cards, and imported the NPCR file from the HSKflashcards site. This imported fine and was sorted correctly.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Marc Vermeiren said:
Again on the Xoom, Android 3.2.1, Flashcards=>Search Cards causes an exit out of the program without error message.

This is caused by the same new-to-3.2 bug that caused your other issue with the display settings screen - should be fixed in the next update.

Marc Vermeiren said:
I tried to wipe all cards (and import them again to check) by going Flashcards=>Organize Cards and deleting the categories. Eventually I ended up with all cards in the Uncategorized category. I selected that category and did Edit=>Batch=>Apply changes to all cards=>Remove cards from category. The cards were not wiped. I tried different things, I don't seem to be able to wipe all cards. My mistake or a bug?

That make them "Uncategorized" but doesn't actually delete them or their categories. Best way to delete one or more categories is to go into Organize, tap Edit, select the categories you want to delete, then tap Delete.

sthubbar

榜眼
Mike,

Long time no see. The Palm 650 has finally died. Had planned to get an iPhone 5, though couldn't wait so bought an HTC ChaCha. The form factor is close enough to the 650 for me to not be in total shock. :)

Have already been missing Pleco on this new phone, as I couldn't understand some of the SMSes my wife was sending. :lol:

I'm sure Pleco on Android will be a great product. I'll be using it daily. Just a quick note to let you know of a bug.

It seems whenever I press the "back arrow" button under the screen to get out of the add-on section, Pleco crashes. This is consistent, everytime.

Thanks for supporting so many platforms.

PS. I just tried the OCR and the camera picture is upside down.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sthubbar said:
It seems whenever I press the "back arrow" button under the screen to get out of the add-on section, Pleco crashes. This is consistent, everytime.

What about when you return to the main screen from other screens, like the document reader or flashcards?

sthubbar said:
I just tried the OCR and the camera picture is upside down.

Interesting... can you figure out whether it's recognizing characters right side up? (i.e., is the image flipped but the recognition part correctly aligned?)

sthubbar

榜眼
mikelove said:
sthubbar said:

What about when you return to the main screen from other screens, like the document reader or flashcards?

sthubbar said:
I just tried the OCR and the camera picture is upside down.

Interesting... can you figure out whether it's recognizing characters right side up? (i.e., is the image flipped but the recognition part correctly aligned?)

Mike,

The crash from the add-on screen seems to have gone away. I installed all of the free dictionaries and have rebooted the system several times. No other crashes.

The OCR is also "seeing" the characters upside down. Meaning, if I turn the text upside down on the table and look at it in the screen, it will look right side up on the screen and be quickly recognized. If the text is right side up on the table, it will look upside down on the screen and the OCR can be seen trying to make sense of upside down characters.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sthubbar said:
The crash from the add-on screen seems to have gone away. I installed all of the free dictionaries and have rebooted the system several times. No other crashes.

Glad to hear it!

sthubbar said:
The OCR is also "seeing" the characters upside down. Meaning, if I turn the text upside down on the table and look at it in the screen, it will look right side up on the screen and be quickly recognized. If the text is right side up on the table, it will look upside down on the screen and the OCR can be seen trying to make sense of upside down characters.

Could you try downloading the quickly-pulled Beta 3 (not 3b) from:

http://www.pleco.com/plecodroid-110910.apk

and checking to see if that fixes this? (it had some new camera orientation detection code that caused problems on some devices but might actually help matters on yours)

majkl

Hello all. I have the same problem with not resumable flashxards(samsung galaxy s2)...maybe...this is the same problem, as someone already pointed out, that sustem doesn't save file with extension(like above mentioned missing .txt)?aren't flashcard session saved in some session/configuration file like that?

grutsch

Hello there.

I purchased the ocr for android a couple of weeks ago. I have an SG SII. When it works, it works great. Pretty much instant charachter recognition... But most of the time I just get random/no results/a flickering recognition box. It seems to me that lighting plays a (minor) role but the general feel is that there is a switch that makes it either work or not.

mikelove said:
Marc Vermeiren said:

That make them "Uncategorized" but doesn't actually delete them or their categories. Best way to delete one or more categories is to go into Organize, tap Edit, select the categories you want to delete, then tap Delete.

When I delete a category, as you say, the cards go to "Uncategorized", but "Uncategorized" cannot be deleted.Afterwards I need to go into "Uncategorized", select "All" and delete. Wouldn't it be more logical to have the option to delete a category with the cards in it so users don't get confused as to why all of a sudden there "Uncategorized" category has all these cards? Some may even not notice until they stumble upon it and then need to weed out what they may or may not still need.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sthubbar said:
Using this one, the text is rotated 90 degrees to the right.

Interesting... might be the default landscape orientation of the screen. We're working on a manual orientation override option for the next beta that should help with this.

majkl said:
Hello all. I have the same problem with not resumable flashxards(samsung galaxy s2)...maybe...this is the same problem, as someone already pointed out, that sustem doesn't save file with extension(like above mentioned missing .txt)?aren't flashcard session saved in some session/configuration file like that?

We've found / fixed this for the next beta now - the flashcard system was trying to store the configuration file in a place where it didn't have write permissions on some devices.

grutsch said:
purchased the ocr for android a couple of weeks ago. I have an SG SII. When it works, it works great. Pretty much instant charachter recognition... But most of the time I just get random/no results/a flickering recognition box. It seems to me that lighting plays a (minor) role but the general feel is that there is a switch that makes it either work or not.

Does it help if you turn on macro focus mode? (via the "flower" button at the top right corner of the screen) You can get Pleco to always use that mode via Settings / OCR / Live / Default to macro mode.

Marc Vermeiren said:
When I delete a category, as you say, the cards go to "Uncategorized", but "Uncategorized" cannot be deleted.Afterwards I need to go into "Uncategorized", select "All" and delete. Wouldn't it be more logical to have the option to delete a category with the cards in it so users don't get confused as to why all of a sudden there "Uncategorized" category has all these cards? Some may even not notice until they stumble upon it and then need to weed out what they may or may not still need.

The problem is that very often these cards also belong to one or more other categories, and people probably don't want to delete them in that case. We can / probably should add an option to delete any cards that are now "uncategorized" as the result of a category deletion, but it's going to run very slowly once we do, since the system will have to go into the category database and and check each card to see if it belongs to any other categories.

The number shown in Flashcards=>Review Flashcards=>Card Gategories is incremental. If I choose 10 categories to review, and then delete all my categories, the number is not zero , but 10. If I start fresh, import cards again and choose another 10 categories, the number becomes 20, and so on.