PlecoDict 1.0.1 Bug Report Thread

A

Anonymous

mikelove said:
I'm really hoping this will be a nice, short thread :)

Short, but not non-existent. I just loaded the new dictionaries, and thanks for that! Everything seems to work okay, but the icon for CEDICT and the other big one show up as a question mark. ABC and Unihan identify properly. Was there a configuration step I missed?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's perfectly normal, actually; the icons have to be built into the PlecoDict appliation file, and we've only created icons for the paid databases plus UniHan so far. But given that CEDICT and Adso overlap (and hence there's not really much benefit in installing both), you'll really only have one ? dictionary in English-Chinese or Chinese-English, so it should still be pretty easy to tell the databases apart.

A

Anonymous

Perhaps just use letters or numbers (either Chinese or English) for the "icons" to represent extra dictionaries? Let people choose from a short list, and keep as a preference...

zig2101

秀才
character search

when i do a mixed pinyin/character search with more than two characters it doesn't work. for example:

中国ren

or

zhongguo人

or

中guo人

etc.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, that's a limitation in the database system (I think it's mentioned in the manual). It's mostly just a matter of disk space; it would take several more MB of index data to get this working and the ABC database file is already larger than we'd like it to be. But these searches will work as long as the second and third (and fourth, fifth, etc) syllables are all characters or all Pinyin - it's only a problem if those syllables differ.

And good idea about the assignable icons, perhaps we could integrate this with the file manager... thanks!

Firstly, congratulations on an excellent product! I just purchased, downloaded and installed the whole thing in a very short space of time without a single hitch. By copying the files directly to my SD card, the process was quick and painless. I really like the interface so much better than the earlier version. I like the reduced size handwriting option right along the bottom of the screen. In short, I am very happy and look forward in the days ahead to exploring all the functions.

I have a couple of comments and it may well be that I have missed something somewhere and can easily sort these out.

Firstly, when I search for a word and it does not find it in one dictionary, it does not seem to search in another place for it. For example, in English, with NWP selected, I search for antenatal and it does not find it in the Oxford. Or I search for anteroom in Oxford and it does not jump to NWP. I have not checked the box restricting searches to current dictionary so I do not understand what is happening.

Secondly, with on screen input enabled in my T3, I do not seem to be able to write an 'i'; it recognises only 'l'. Funnily enough, I can input a 't' OK, which is another two-stroke character.

That's my instant feedback. I expect there will be more to come as I play with this more!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The English search thing is just a weakness in the English-language search system (which we didn't really spend a lot of time on) - this works perfectly well in Chinese-to-English. It should be fixable in an update, though.

As for the two-stroke character problem, this might have something to do with the i taking only a dot while the t takes an entire stroke... the best way to fix this is to turn on the "delay before search" option, that will give you enough time to finish writing the character before PlecoDict starts searching.

koreth

榜眼
Treo keyboard's Alt key

Here's a minor one, but somewhat annoying if you're adding lots of dictionary entries. The "Alt" button on the Treo 650 keyboard doesn't seem to work. It pops up the "The 'Alt' button is for entering special characters" help message, but the menu of alternate characters never appears. This makes it rather laborious to input, say, a semicolon in the definition of a custom dictionary entry. Or, for that matter, a word like "nǚ" into the pinyin field. The onscreen keyboard isn't available when editing a dictionary entry, so I end up having to cut-and-paste from somewhere else.

Jim

榜眼
Koreth, I recommend you try AltKey. It is a nice little utility that brings up the command bar including the Instant Access icon when you press the Alt Key. Alt plus "k" brings up the keyboard. The international and numeric keyboards have all the symbols and letters you want. You will lose the function of the Alt key and keyboard keys giving you symbols but with the on screen keyboard so easy to reach I don't miss it. Also you don't have to remember which key has which symbols or go searching for them.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
koreth - Jim's fix should work, or you could try enabling Input Field Compatibility mode. Unfortunately, there's no easy way that we could work around this problem, as palmOne doesn't provide an interface for programmers to manipulate or extend the Alt key functionality.

koreth

榜眼
Got a URL for that AltKey utility? I don't see it on the usual Treo software sites I just checked. Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Garbled/invisible characters

Amazing tool you've created here! Thank you.

Now my problem. Since I haven't found any mention of it on the forum, I figure it must relate to my setup. I'm using a Palm Zire72, 9.1MB free.

The problem has to do with particular characters not being drawn correctly--or at all--on a flashcard. For example, "高". Whether alone, or in combination with other characters (提高), it is simply invisible on the main flashcard screen (though it is displayed on the "Edit Card" screen). I have tried deleting the entry and adding it again with both ABC and Adsotrans. I have tried creating my own dictionary entry, then adding it. Always the same problem--invisible.

I have found quite a few characters with similar problems. Making a flashcard for 青年 results in a long garbled streak at the top of the flashcard, followed by 年.

Any ideas about this? Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This is a new one - how have you configured flashcards? Which settings are checked / unchecked / selected in "Test Settings"? And which font files have you installed? Do magnified characters work correctly in the regular dictionary interface?

A

Anonymous

Alright, it seems to be a problem with the magnified character font.

I never noticed, but the tap-to-magnify function has the same problem as the flashcard display. Unchecking "magnify characters in headword" clears up the flashcard problem.

Is it just my file that's corrupt? Off the top of my head, these characters also have problems magnifying: 鸡,钱,鼻,飞,馆,马,随,etc...

So, would you recommend deleting "PlecoDict Font 48," DLing it again, and copying it to the palm? Is it that simple? Without magnification, the flashcards are way too small to see on a bouncing Chinese bus...

Thanks for the help!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well I'm definitely not seeing this problem with those characters on any Palm here, so yes, I would recommend that you reinstall PlecoDict Font 48.

johnh113

榜眼
words with ... in them

Dear Mike,

I've tried to get
yi4 bian1 yi4 bian1
onto the input line, and it cause a soft reset. I tried doing each character, and I tried using the "copy to input field" button.

Same crash with
bu2 dan4 er2 qie3

Do you suppose it has something to do with the "..."?

Using a Clie T650C.

John

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
More likely an out-of-memory problem (searches for words with a lot of characters can often bring these up, since a lot of extra index data gets loaded into RAM) - how much free memory do you have on your Clie? Try freeing up some more and see if that helps at all.