PlecoDict 1.0.1 Bug Report Thread

sfrrr

状元
mikelove said:
More likely an out-of-memory problem (searches for words with a lot of characters can often bring these up, since a lot of extra index data gets loaded into RAM) - how much free memory do you have on your Clie? Try freeing up some more and see if that helps at all.

Any suggestions for what to do about soft reset LOOPS created by searching for one word? (using HWR)

Sandra

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If you hold down the "up" button while you reset, that should break out of the loop. But I'm surprised this is still happening with 1.0.1... exactly what word did this occur with?

sfrrr

状元
mikelove said:
If you hold down the "up" button while you reset, that should break out of the loop. But I'm surprised this is still happening with 1.0.1... exactly what word did this occur with?

Yes, it did break me out of the loop, but only temporarily. As soon as I ask anything of it, it reloops.

I'm trying to remember what word triggered it. Based on my vocabulary lists for that day, it may have been one of the yuans. It may have been yao (bite). But don't count on either because I have no way to check. I've hard reset to try to start clean. (At this point, there seems to be a corrupted file somewhere in the startup, because if I restore, I will soon get my soft reset loop again.

Sandra

sfrrr

状元
Mike--I'm sorry to be such a pain, but might you find it within your grand Huangdi-ness to tell me which parts of PlecoDict must reside in main memory (and is it RAM or built-in????) and which can go onto the LifeDrive or SD card? Please, please. And also, are all flashcard files (the various ones listed in the File List) combined into one file and if so, what's it called? And why would previous PlecoDict_Flashcards.pdb now be named something like PlecoDict_Flashcards_PLDE_421.pdb_55145867_42C732BF_E70F.blb? Is this usable as a flashcard file?

Also, and this is way off topic, is there any way to make icon shortcuts, as on the PPC, so that I can have some programs show up in several categories?

How's the PPC version coming along?

Sandra

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not a problem at all. The only files you need to install to main memory (which does refer to RAM and not to the built-in drive) are the "PlecoDict.prc" application program and the handwriting recognition data files. Everything else can be installed in the built-in drive or SD card.

And all of the flashcards are indeed combined into a single data file - it's normally called PlecoDict Flashcards, but since Palm OS doesn't allow duplicate filenames, if PlecoDict detects a "PlecoDict Flashcards" file but can't open it (due to file corruption or something similar) it leaves that file intact and creates another file called "PlecoDict Flashcards" with a number (the number of seconds since January 1st of 1904, if you want to be particular about it) appended to the end. So if you see multiple flashcard files, the one with the largest number on the end of it is probably the one your flashcards are stored in, though it might be a good idea to back up the other ones before deleting them just in case it's not.

But that wouldn't explain the long string of numbers on the end of that one file - my guess is that that one probably has something to do with the Palm OS file backup system.

There's no mechanism built into Palm OS for making shortcuts, but one trick that might work is to create duplicate copies of the same application file. To do this, open up the application .prc file on your desktop with a Hex editor and look at the string of text at the very start of the file - append some extra character to it, like a '2', and then install it to your Palm. That should keep it from replacing the copy of the application that's already there, so you'll end up with two copies of the same application on your Palm which you can then assign to different categories.

I don't follow the Palm OS hack/utility scene that closely, so there may be a program out there that does allow you to create program shortcuts (it wouldn't be very difficult to write one) - if you Google around for it you might find one somewhere.

The PPC version is progressing steadily; we've just created our own font file called "PlecoPinyin" which adds a few dozen Pinyin syllable and other characters that aren't part of the built in Tahoma font, which is great because it means we can show English and Pinyin text in nice readable Tahoma instead of having to resort to using the Chinese fonts (whose English characters tend to be rather murky on PDA screens). So text readability on Pocket PC should be up to the same standard as it is on Palm OS. As should most other things - we're not really aiming to exceed the Palm OS version in the first Pocket PC release, but we don't want to fall behind it either.

sfrrr

状元
OK. Is this a bug or a feature? When I try to edit a custom definition--e.g. insert a character--the card crashes PlecoDict and often performs a soft reset. Also, and I don't remember having this problem before my hard reset, if I want to create a multicharacter flashcard and want to enter the characters one by one, I enter the first one using handwriting recognition or radical input, hit recognize, then go back and enter the second one, which proceeds to overwrite the first character--i.e. I can make only one-character custom definitions. (I just remembered some setting that says recognize one character words as one character, or something like that. I'll try unchecking that. But it won't do anything for the crashes.

Sandra

A

Anonymous

HWR Crash

:? I have also had a problem making a Custom Dictionary entry.

I was trying to enter a Headword Char using HWR.
The Palm crashed. (T5 v1.1)
After a Reboot HWR wasn't functioning at all, :(
giving an error screen that it could not find HWR Files.

To fix problem I had to completely reinstall Pleco Dict.

The Duelist

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sfrrr - this is a bug, but it should go away if you uncheck the "Clear input field before char input" option in the Input section of Preferences. I'm not sure about the other but you mention, but that may be related as well - we never tested the input field clearing option with Edit Entry (which is why it overwrites the first character) and it's quite possible it could cause a crash when editing definitions.

The Duelist - I don't really know why this would happen. When exactly did the Palm crash? When you pressed the handwriting input button, when you started drawing the character, when you pressed the Recognize button or when you selected the character to input? Are you using the Hanwang or the older Motorola recognizer?

A

Anonymous

mikelove said:
The Duelist - When exactly did the Palm crash? When you pressed the handwriting input button, when you started drawing the character, when you pressed the Recognize button or when you selected the character to input? Are you using the Hanwang or the older Motorola recognizer?
I am using the New Hanwang Recogniser.

I think I was in the process of drawing a character.
(Not 100% sure, Sorry)

The Duelist

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's strange... there might be some sort of rare bug in our stroke capture system, but I can't imagine how it would prevent the handwriting recognizer from booting up correctly. Perhaps it's designed in a way that its data can be corrupted if it's not shut down correctly... unfortunately, we have to leave it open / running while PlecoDict is active, it doesn't start up quickly enough for us to open/close it every time you recognizer a character. Anyway, we'll see if we can dig up anything.

Bug In Radical Lookup

There seems to be a bug in the Lookup by radical function.
The stroke count menu only functions correctly in 'Full' mode.
If 'Bottom/Left/Right' are selected the stroke count menu does nothing.

On another point, I am having difficulty converting the PlecoDict PDF Manual to load onto a T5.

The Duelist

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The PDF manual was supposed to be fixed - did you download the version currently on the website? Maybe there's a problem with the PDF encoder - I should probably stop being such a penny-pincher and go out and buy Acrobat instead of one of its $30 clones.

I just managed to reproduce your stroke count problem on the T5 - it's very odd because it doesn't even happen on contemporary models like the Treo 650, only on the T5. Might be something to do with the longer display... we'll see what we can do about this.

sfrrr

状元
mikelove said:
sfrrr - this is a bug, but it should go away if you uncheck the "Clear input field before char input" option in the Input section of Preferences. I'm not sure about the other but you mention, but that may be related as well - we never tested the input field clearing option with Edit Entry (which is why it overwrites the first character) and it's quite possible it could cause a crash when editing definitions.

Mike--I did uncheck clear input field, etc and that has permitted me to create multiword flashcards.

However, the editing crash bug is still there. If I want to edit the characters on a flashcard, no matter how long or short or how recently, or whether the character comes at the beginning, middle or end, as soon as I hit Recognize in the handwriting box, the device crashes. Fortunately, this is only a soft reset, but it's nonetheless a bit inconvenient. Do you want me to note the error message number next time? (All I remember now is that it's a fatal error, but I think it does have a number.)

Sandra

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... are you using Input Field Compatibility Mode by any chance? If you could note the error code, that would definitely be helpful. But I'm a bit confused - how are you creating multiword flashcards if the recognizer crashes every time you try to enter a word? Are you just using the radical input, or does the recognizer only crash when you edit an existing card?

sfrrr

状元
mikelove said:
Hmm... are you using Input Field Compatibility Mode by any chance? If you could note the error code, that would definitely be helpful. But I'm a bit confused - how are you creating multiword flashcards if the recognizer crashes every time you try to enter a word? Are you just using the radical input, or does the recognizer only crash when you edit an existing card?

No, I turned off input compatibility mode.

Here's how I can trigger the crash every time. I open a user previous user dictionary entry, put the cursor where I need it, then click the HWR button to get the next character I need to insert. The HWR recognizes it and presents it with a bunch of alternatives in the recognition area near the top of the screen. So far, an ordinary transaction. But the moment I click on the correct (or any) character in that row of chioices, the screen goes blank and a warm reset happens. Every single time.

As for the error message, I apologize. I thought it gave an error number, but it doesn't. Error message: SystemError log. A reset was caused on 7/126/05 at 8:15 pm while running "PlecoDict": Fatal Error.

In other words, I can create one word user dictionary definitions, but I can not go back into the definition later and edit it.

If I create a new user dictionary entry and put in a series of characters one after the other without going to any other line (pronunciation or definition), nothing crashes.

And, yes, the same thing happens if I use the Radical function instead of HWR. If I try to add a character to an existing user definition, I click on the appropriate radical on the first radicals screen and the second screen full of characters using that radical comes up. When I tap on one of the radicals on the second screen, the screen goes black and the LifeDrive goes into a warm reboot.

Sandra

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
OK, I've finally managed to reproduce this (again on the T5, oddly enough) - I don't know what's causing it yet, but now that it's reproducible it should be easy to fix. One workaround you could try in the meantime is to write the characters you want to add to the headword in the definition field, then copy-and-paste them to the headword. (unless this is also affecting the definition field on your LifeDrive - on the T5 this seems to be limited to the headword field)

PDF Manual for Handheld

mikelove said:
The PDF manual was supposed to be fixed - did you download the version currently on the website? Maybe there's a problem with the PDF encoder - I should probably stop being such a penny-pincher and go out and buy Acrobat instead of one of its $30 clones.
I Downloaded the Manual again.
Still the same problem. :(

The Error message was something about the PDF being Untagged.
(=> Problem converting PDF to display on a smaller screen)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... well it looks like the PDF converter software we use doesn't support tagged files, so we'll have to find one that does or buy a copy of Acrobat. Thanks for the clarification.