2.0.0 Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Putting that extra .0 in the version number for a reason, as there's certainly going to have to be a 2.0.1 before too long.

Post any new / still-unfixed bugs in 2.0.0 here.

ipsi

状元
Nothing major, but while Pleco 2.0 installs (and runs) without a warning this time, I still get a warning when installing the PlecoLaunch CAB. Not sure if you were intending to code-sign all the CABs/apps or not?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's expected, actually - signed .cab files don't work correctly on WM2003 (it rejects them as corrupted) so since PlecoLaunch is designed to work on both we couldn't sign that .cab. (the application is signed, though, WM03 doesn't have a problem with that)

Tapcis

I had a crash while reviewing flashcards. Perhaps all is needed is a note for people updating from a previous (beta) verison...

MemoryMgr.c line 370, Invalid chunk ptr RESET

I had resumed a flashcard session from BEFORE installing the official 2.0

Happened when I finished the review of 9 out of original 15 cards, and was due for another round of reviews.

So, as I said, perhaps recommend deleting any partial sessions. Of course, if it happens again, I will deny it was me making this suggestion! :shock:

Trobert

秀才
Hi, it seems that when using the flashcards, the sample sentences for cards drawn from the ABC dictionary are not being displayed.

UPDATE: When the full card is revealed, some of the sample sentences from the original entries are not there. Can Mike confirm on this being a bug?

UPDATE2: The flashcard import function failed. I did it according to the instructions on the pleco website.

ldolse

状元
@ Trobert,
The sample sentences are hidden until you reveal the card to prevent the answer from being exposed. You should get them once you reveal.

Congratulations on the tentative release. I've been using the new Pleco daily, and I haven't had a crash on my WM device since the first beta 7 build. Its really starting to get that polish!

No bugs to report yet.

gato

状元
Not a bug, but can you upload the files to your HK mirror site? It'll take 2 hours to download from the regular site....

By the way, can you clarify the difference between the "Windows" download files vs. the "Windows Card" download files? Didn't see an explanation in your original message. Thanks. :D

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges - nothing's really changed about the format for saved sessions in a couple of releases, so this seems more likely to be a bug - hopefully a lot of these mysterious sorts of problems will start to become clearer once we've got a larger number of people using 2.0.

llammamama - thanks! At this point 2.0 is exceeding 1.0 both in downloads and in support requests (the "absolutely no technical support..." line notwithstanding), so it seems like people have collectively decided that 2.0 is ready now.

gato - we're moving the HK mirror over to a new server (our 40GB/month bandwidth limit wasn't cutting it, so we're bumping up to 200 GB, but that required a server and DNS change) but as soon as that's up and running again we'll post the files on there.

The regular versus Card distinction is just something to make it slightly easier for people to install files directly to an SD card - the files are completely identical, but in the Card packages they're located in a Launcher folder inside of a Palm folder, so all you have to do is drag that folder over to the card to copy them over and have them come up on your Palm. We were worried that with a more complicated procedure people would end up putting files in the wrong folders / inside of subfolders.

F_Kal

举人
I just installed 2.0! It's so great-but I had a small incident, and eventhough I don't know if it was pleco causing it, I'm throwing it for any case. At some point after a clean soft rebooting of my pda (HP rx1950) and starting pleco, I decided I should hear the audio samples for wei4(位) but there was no speech coming out. I decided to check the volume of my pda speaker and realized that the volume was set to zero. I trie sliding the bar and it did, but the volume was always zero uppon rechecking the volume meter - and of course no sound coming out. Maybe the "soundcard chip" disappeared from the system? Maybe pleco made the audio driver crash? I don't know. Anyway, I rebooted it and not everything works fine. The thing is that I've never seen this happen before and I've been using this PDA for more than 2 years now, so I though that I should report it.

Just a small recommendation for the AddOn part of the automated windows installer...

From what I can see, this simply copies whatever file you select over to the Program Files\Pleco folder in the device memory.

I was hoping it would do the following:

1. Validate that it is a valid addon - dictionary, flashcard list etc.
2. If its a zip, then unzip it. I wanted to select the p2cedict-080902.zip file, hoping the installer would extract the p2cedict.pdb file and copy it to my device.
3. User-configurable memory-type location rather than just putting it in device memory. Maybe it could default to the memory-type specified by the user during the main install?

Also, when the installer is copying the file over, the message is something like:

copying 512/1055 in file, 512/0 in total.

So the "total" value appears to be wrong.

F_Kal

举人
I've had a few more bugs and some crashes.
The crashes occur on the character information screen, where the PDA freezes and you can do nothing but reboot. It happened to me twice in the first 3 hours of using it, with different characters every time...
The 1st bug that I noticed (I think it's a bug) is when doing full text search on "#time", even though I am in ABC, the program doesn't care about looking for the word "time" in abc, but instead jumps to ADSO, as if there are no entries having the word time in abc, and at the same time the icon of Language selection changes to "English" even though ADSO is a "Chinese" Dictionary. About the later behaviour I am not sure if it was desirable or not, but I guess skipping dictionaries at least is not! Some other words though, are detected in ABC without a problem (eg."moon") whereas some other ones can not be found in the chinese dictionaries but only in the english ones (I'm sorry, I forgot to note down any of those)
The 2nd bug is a very often one: I've set the dictionary to display the List View and when clicking a word it takes you to the Definition. Sometimes though the page of the definition seems completely blank(white) but probably this is a refreshing problem since when I click on the wm5 keyboard input method to popup the content of the page appears!
Hope my comments are helpful!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
westmeadboy - good idea on that. What we'd really like eventually is to make it online-enabled; that way it would not only be able to download the latest add-ons etc but might also be able to request a new keyfile for you (though that would be a little tricky, since Microsoft's security protocols would make it difficult for us to install / run a custom DLL during the installation to collect your System ID).

F_Kal - not sure what's going on with Character Info; which characters did it happen with? Were you looking at Details, Stroke Order or Components? Is anyone else seeing this sort of problem in the latest version?

"time" in ABC is getting skipped because there are actually too many matches for it - a bit over 1500 it looks like. The software still doesn't handle long result lists very well, so we filter out those extremely common words. (also keeps the data files a bit smaller - already something like half of the size of the gargantuan 21st Century dictionary data file is spent on full-text search indexes)

The bug you mention does sound like a refresh issue - can you think of any consistent steps to reproduce it? (a particular search that makes it happen every time, say)

F_Kal

举人
Regarding the Character Info Screen (that just happened once today), I have the feeling that I was getting the crash when clicking in order to go to the Compounds screen. Well, actually, I don't really know if the problem occured after clicking or before because tthe moment the window appeared it was my first move to click the compounds tab and the freezing was apparent because the tab was not switching. I can't remember of the characters that I was looking at the time, but I remember trying to reproduce the effect on the next restart with the same char. but this time it did not reoccuring.
For the Refreshing problem, I still haven't got a pattern aswell...
I know I'm not much help, I will try to have something more solid next time!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The Compounds screen will sometimes appear to freeze up because it's taking a long time to search for results - there wasn't a good way to put a wait cursor on that, unfortunately (dictionary searches aren't multithreaded and probably can't be until we stop supporting Palm OS).

F_Kal

举人
maybe that was the case... I don't know, but if it was the same thing (because sometimes I have also noticed that this tab is not too responsive) it must have been a very long search, because both times it was more than 30secs, additionally at that time, everything in the wm5 interface had become not responsive from buttons, input method panels to start menu so I assumed it was a freeze...

I guess if that's the case(a slow search effect), it's very important at least to have an indication that it's working... maybe if not a cursor, at least a blinking symbol, or a short message, any indication would be very useful, because when the whole system becomes non-responsive with no trace of what happened and what is going to happen, the user experience looses a lot!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well even a slow search shouldn't take more than a few seconds - if they can get that slow there may be something else wrong here. Hopefully with the wider release we'll get some more reports of this and can do a better job of triangulating what exactly is causing it.

F_Kal

举人
Today I got to play a little more with the "refresh problem". This morning I turned on my PDA and started looking up some words. At some point I realised that I could make it happen, if for some reason while looking an entry I would 1)press the "Start menu", and there, start using the 2)hardware arrow keys to scroll on the windows program list. When closing the menu by 3)clicking on the pleco window (and not again on the "Start" icon/windows logo) the content beneath the menu doesn't redraw. Of course when I had this problem happening before, I didn't have to bring up the start menu, but the whole thing was happening on it's own (I have the feeling that the onscreen keyboard of wm5 was causing this to happen). I hope this helps a bit more

Hey Mike,

I downloaded 2.0.0(aud2) and have been playing with it. I must say that I love the new speed of the pronunciation of multi-syllable words, phrases and proverbs. Multi-syllabe words that are not prerecorded now sound more like they are being spoken by a native/fluent speaker. Wonderful improvement!

Did come across one issue, but it is on a long multi-syllable custom dictionary entry: 山重水复疑无路,柳暗花明又一村. On the particular entry it is read syllable by syllable with the long pauses/spaces in between each character, as the audio files previous to 2.0.0(aud2) were read.

In fact, I also have problems when doing a search for this custom dictionary entry. Regardless of whether I put the comma in or not when searching, or when making the entry (in both the character and pinyin section of the entry), the ABC and Guifan entries for 山重水复 always come up, but if I cycle through the dictionaries my User Dictionary entry doesn't show up. In fact I currently only have two methods for finding the entry, enter the 山重水复 (only see the ABC/GF entires), and then start adding the other chracters 疑,无,路etc. After I enter 疑 in the search input field, my User Dictionary entry will finally show up. Alternatively, I can completely clear the search input box and then cycle to the User Dictionary and then scroll down to the entry.

Anyway, I know this is a very long custom entry, so I am fine if you don't fix it until a later version of Pleco.

Darrol

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
F_Kal - thanks, I'm seeing that here too now. Not going to worry about it for 2.0.0a since every bug fix carries the risk of introducing a new / more serious bug, but we'll certainly look at it for 2.0.1.

hairyleprechaun - great! Always nice when a bug-fix has positive side effects. With that custom dictionary search, if you tap-hold on the dictionary switch icon and then specifically select the user dictionary, does that help? What if you enable the "Search only in current dict" option in Preferences?