2.0.0 Bug Report Thread

anchan42

探花
This is actually in 2.0.1b2 but the bug report thread for beta does not allow me to post pictures and I don't really know how to explain.
This happens from time to time on Treo 680.

Attachments

• Snap-C591EB2C.jpg
    Snap-C591EB2C.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,652

Henry

进士
mikelove said:
Have you tried this with the 2.0.1 betas? There are a lot of other bug fixes in there and a couple of those might have also fixed this one. Also, are you sure the "External Text Encoding" is set correctly in the External panel of Preferences? On a Palm you'll most likely want to set it to GB instead of UTF-8.

I changed the 'external text encoding' from utf to gb and installed the most recent beta (2.0.1b2) and the problems above have gone away!

One new thing is the GO TO on the preferences window- the words get slightly covered up when I open the list of preference sub-pages.

I'm surprised that the little Pleco window that can be pulled up from the command bar does not allow for searching!?! I'll write more in the 'suggestions' topic.

Regards, Henry

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
anchan42 - strange, I thought we'd fixed the bug that was causing that - must be more than one cause. Might be tricky to fix if we can't find a way to easily reproduce it, though.

Henry - Glad to hear that fixed it. You're right about the GO TO, the Treo/TX blue highlight border does cover that up a bit...

anchan42

探花
The bug seem to happen with 普通话 headword consistently. It happens to other headwords too but I cannot reproduce them consistently.
For 普通话 if I scroll down to the end and scroll back up again, I will have what is in the screen capture every time.

This is not effect the functionality of Place so I do understand if it is not worth fixing.

P.S this happen on both Treo680 and Ique.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
anchan42 - OK, now I'm seeing it - needed to adjust the font sizes / layout to match your screen but once I did that it came right up. Not sure if it'll turn out to be easy to fix but at least we can reproduce it now. Thanks.

ssaito

探花
I've been using the original Pleco 2.0 on my Palm Zire, and when I load the larger flashcard sets (I think there's one for the entire ABC dictionary) it unceremoniously crashes the program, whereupon the machine reboots. I noticed that when I imported the flashcard sets they appear to be stored in the Palm's main memory rather than SD card - takes up 2MB with the flashcards I've imported. Is it possible to have them instead imported to flash card?

BTW, I now simply use smaller sets of cards at any one time, and get along fine. But Pleco might as well be perfect, right? :cool:

Thanks,
Steve

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You can move your flashcard database to an SD card using the "Advanced" mode of PlecoMover - use the "Copy" command to copy the database to your memory card, then flag the copy in internal memory as a backup, launch Pleco and make sure that flashcards still seem to work correctly, and assuming they do you can then delete the copy in internal memory. (make sure to back up the copy on the SD card regularly, though, it won't be backed up on a HotSync)

Doing that should get rid of this crashing problem, which sounds like it's most likely memory-related - starting a new flashcard session is a very memory-intensive operation, unfortunately.

HW60

状元
By entering custom or user dict flashcards modifying dictionary entries it seems to be possible to enter non printable data, e.g. HEX 09 = TAB - you do not see them, but they are there. If you export these flashcards as TXT files, the additional TABs destroy to some extent the resulting file: you either have the desired 3 entries per record (headword, pinyin, definition) or 4, when the "data-TAB" splits the definition into 2 parts.

I can clean the data file with a hex editor, but it would probably be a good idea to prevent non printable data in the "Edit Card" screen or erase HEX 09 from the data, when flashcards are exported to TXT files.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Good point, yeah - I'll add that as a bug to fix in 2.0.2, tabs definitely need to be stripped out of text exports.

I suddenly get the following error message when entering Pleco.

"Welcome to the demo version of Pleco 2.0. For ordering information, tap on the "Yes" button below. Your system ID is....."

Don't know what happened. When I enter all the dictionaries are in DEMO mode. I have used 2.0 for a couple of months without any problems until today.

Glofiish x500+
Windows mobile 6
Pleco installed on 1gb microSD

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... are you using a Card ID or a System ID for your keyfile? If it's a Card ID then perhaps the card came loose and the handheld failed to record its serial number correctly. Otherwise I'm not sure... have you made any configuration changes / installed any new software on your handheld recently?

radioman

状元
I know it has been a little while, but still would like to have full text search of custom dictionaries. I use the Palm (assume that is not going to happen...), but if not with that then the next platforms ... (i.e., iPhone).

mikelove said:
radioman - there's no full-text search capability for custom flashcards or dictionary entries yet - the SQLite full-text search feature isn't supported in the version of SQLite that we use on Palm (and there's no possibility of updating it), and we don't plan to add that feature on Windows Mobile until we stop supporting Palm.