Cantonese Audio Pronunciation Problem - GZP

George C

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem. I searched the forum and couldn't find the answer. The pronunciation for certain cantonese words produces a hissing sound on some entries in the Guangzhouhua Putonghua Cidian (GZP). I have all the audio add-ons installed. I even went on " Settings app / General / Accessibility / VoiceOver / Speech" and added "Chinese (China)" and "Chinese (Taiwan)" and "Chinese (Hong Kong)" as languages, set the first default and the hissing is still there. I also tried the enhanced, deleted the enhanced, rebooted many times with different setting and still the hissing is there.
The definitions in GZP for 愛 have words like 愛憎分明, and I get a strange hissing glitch sound on the 分 mixed in when the audio is played.
愛祖國 (國 has a long humming ping at the end)
愛唱歌 (hiss between 唱 and 歌)
Pretty much most of them have some audio glitch. Head words sound fine.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, I'm hearing that too - looks like Apple TTS isn't liking some of the characters it's encountering in our example sentence strings. We'll make sure this is fixed for our next update, thanks.

George C

Thanks so much! I've been using Pleco for years and I definitely support this app, so I decided to finally join the forum. I was just wondering, how important are the up and down arrows on the upper right hand corner? All it does is go to the next entry on the list of words. I can scroll the list with my finger much faster and tap the definitions much more efficiently than use those arrows. I never use those arrows on my phone either. So my question is has anyone thought of replacing those with a forward and back button like on web browsers and other dictionaries. I find having to tap the history button every time tedious sometimes. Or are those buttons used by a lot of people?

Attachments

• Dic.png
    Dic.png
    106.2 KB · Views: 634

George C

Also, is it possible to somehow get two versions for my searches? For example, when I want to search for a mandarin word I use my version 1 setting so my mandarin dictionaries come out on top, then when I want to search for a cantonese word I use my version 2 setting so my cantonese dictionaries will come out on top (instead of the bottom where I have them now set, so I can separate the two languages). And a toggle button could then let me instantly switch between my versions. That's asking for a lot, but thanks for hearing me out anyways. I still love using Pleco.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
People like those arrows as a way to go through entry by entry - it's easier to repeatedly tap on a button than it is to tap through the list one item at a time. We've had back/forward buttons in the past but when we took them out in v3.0 due to time constraints we didn't really get any complaints so we didn't feel any great hurry to bring them back.

And yes, you can create multiple "Dictionary Groups" in Settings / Manage Dictionaries and switch between those to get your preferred order.

George C

Geez, I must be a little slow! I've been using "Dictionary Groups" to toggle between English and Chinese and didn't even realize my answer was right there. Thanks!