• Snap-C591EA9F.jpg
    Snap-C591EA9F.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 2,040

sthubbar

榜眼
NWP E-C Pinyin Dictionary

miracle n. 奇迹 qa2ji1 ----- should be qi1ji4

HanDeDict v090204 [also in previous version of dictionary]

外传 wai4zhuan4 inoffizielle Bioraphie (f) (S)

Everything looks good, just there is something odd with the pinyin in the background. Why? 1) Playing the sound plays wai4 zhu n. 2) If you try and search for wai4zhuan4 it will not find it in the HanDeDict, you have to search for wai4zhu and then it can find it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks - we definitely need to do a Pinyin cleanup in the NWP at some point. With HanDeDict, errors like this usually seem to involve a glitch in the source database, a tone mark instead of a number or something like that - you can actually edit entries / submit corrections for that yourself as http://www.chinaboard.de/chinesisch_deutsch.php. (though in this case the problem doesn't show up in the online version, so it's probably only visible in the source database - tough to find those)

sthubbar

榜眼
Great. I think I found the problem with that entry. In the dictionary, the entry was listed as zhua[accented]n instead of zhuan4. I think the accented a was throwing off Pleco.

sthubbar

榜眼
Adsotrans C-E Dict v080617 - I understand it is free, maybe you can point where to update like with the German

现在我们才明白
xian4zai4mencai2ming2bai2 - Missing the wo3

BTW, all of the Adsotrans entries do not allow the dashes for traditional or simplified option. It always displays a full entry fo both.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Adso's website is now at http://www.popupchinese.com/tools/adso I believe. We haven't updated that one in a while, though - to be honest it doesn't fit in so well with Pleco's design (they use multiple entries for different parts of speech, while our other dictionaries don't) so since CC-CEDICT has been growing nicely lately we've kind of focused on that - it's still the biggest free title out there, though, so we probably should try to update it at least a little more often than we have been so far.

mfcb

状元
but i found that adso sometimes has translations where the other dicts come up with nothing... i would miss it, if it would not be available :wink:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Oh I don't think we'll drop support for it altogether, we may just need to come up with a better script for merging Adso entries with different parts of speech (though that would screw up older-Adso-based flashcards, so maybe not).

anchan42

探花
I have found quite a few of these in GF. It looks like an encoding problem. Not sure it is the database or the Pleco.

Attachments

• HRCapt20090308143841P.jpg
    HRCapt20090308143841P.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 2,154

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Those ?s are in place of proprietary characters we don't have the means to display - components / pieces of characters with portions cut off, used in GF to illustrate points about character stroke order / particular components. Since they're not included in any font file, we'd have to create a custom font that covered all of them, and that's not really practical at the moment, though certainly it might be if sales of GF improve.

sthubbar

榜眼
In the ABC dictionary 扣 has an issue. In the example sentence the Hanzi don't display Hanzi, instead it just shows Pinyin with numbers.

sfrrr

状元
Oh, please don't take away my Adso dictionary. It often has words, including some technical words, that none of the other dictionaries have.

Also, are you interested in English spelling errors too?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sthubbar - there are a few of those sorts of problems in the ABC, actually - strangely enough they added the characters after the Pinyin, and they seem to have missed them in some cases.

sfrrr - I don't think we'll be getting rid of it, don't worry. English spelling errors are mainly interesting if they appear in headwords - we'd love to fix them everywhere but that would be a lot of work (particularly in some titles like NWP).

TroiOi

秀才
:mrgreen:

Gosh, Tutle has so many errors follow anchan posts. And now, one more bug with Tutle

And no meaning, no example

Attachments

• RedundanceWord.JPG
    RedundanceWord.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 2,103
  • NoDefinition.JPG
    NoDefinition.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 2,116

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, we're working on an updated edition of that with a lot of fixes. (several hundred in fact)

The definition-less xian4 was left in deliberately - it doesn't have its own definition in the original dictionary either, but having single-character entries prevents Pleco from switching to another dictionary when you enter the first character of a word - if we took out the "xian" then as soon as you entered "xian" in Tuttle you'd get switched to ABC, and would have to manually switch back to Tuttle. People get very unhappy about this behavior in user-created dictionaries (though we've now added an optional workaround for it in them), so we keep single-character entries in Tuttle (and in Oxford) even if they're blank.