Dictionary Entries With Problems

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I think zhangde is correct there, actually - I've always heard people say it that way, anyway. ("ta zhangde hen ...", just as in the example sentence)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yep - they seem to have skipped several of those common radical changes, actually. Not sure why this didn't come up before now... thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's a Unicode Extension-A character, actually, and we don't support those in our font files yet. Though we're thinking about expanding to them the next time we renew our font file license. We leave them in the database since we might roll out an Extension-A-friendly font before we update the database again, and also because on WM some people like to supply their own font files (renaming them to have the same name as our font so Pleco will open them) which might support Ext-A even if ours don't.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks - strange that that wasn't fixed by the new update, but it doesn't appear to have been.

jiacheng

榜眼
ABC dictionary entry for 别扭 incorrectly lists the traditional form as [別/彆別]. It should be listed as [別/彆扭].

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Another strange one there... maybe we should just go through the whole thing and verify that it includes all of the common / consistent TC mappings (since 別 is never a traditional variant for 扭).

n3kog0

秀才
The Tuttle entry for 别 (single character) does not include its traditional form, 別. This error does not occur in compounds.

The three Guifan entries for 别 (bié​) also does not include its traditional form, 別. The entry for 别 (biè​) has 別 but should also include 彆 as well.

ACE, Guifan, and Adsotrans lists the traditional form of 别扭 as 別扭, while Oxford and CEDICT lists it as 彆扭, and ABC lists both. Perhaps both traditional forms should be included in all dictionaries?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks - those should all be fixable the next time we update Tuttle. (and yes, we probably ought to include all of them everywhere, though one could argue that 別 is really more of a variant than a full-fledged traditional version)

n3kog0

秀才
I wonder why whoever is in charge of Chinese character encoding in computers distinguished 别 from 別. The difference between them is trivial.

Anyways, the Tuttle entry for 赢 does not include its traditional form, 贏.

koxinga

I did not read everything, so sorry if these have already been reported. Just some problems in ABC :
  • the two entries 熟人 (shúrén and shóurén) are not linked together. There is also an independant entry 熟人儿 while elsewhere the convention 熟人(儿) seems to be preferred
  • There is a character 7xué which doesn't appear on my phone. It is the same with its compound xuélou. Maybe a problem with my settings.
  • A full text search on the abbreviations used in ABC gives some badly formatted entries. For example a search on "wr" gives 躐进 and 疏略, on "lg" gives 舌尖颤音 and 申令 ( I found this when I really wanted to search by these abbrevations. It seems they are excluded from normal search. Is it possible to find all the words in a certain category ?
In the 规范汉语词典, very often characters are represented with "?", when they explain a part (for example “暴”字下边是“?“), an old variant of a character or when they explain how not to write it (for example 殷勤:不要写作“??“, this advice is not very useful) Is it only a problem with my fonts which don't have enough characters or is it a problem with pleco ? A lot of these entries are OK, but the remaining problems are quite frustrating.

Edit : OK, I finally read the other posts. I understand about the characters that are not displayed, but that would be great to have them !

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Category / part-of-speech based search isn't supported yet, though it's been heavily-requested and it'd be quite easy to add at some point - just a little extra database index.

Missing characters are a function of what's included in our fonts, basically - we're experimenting with using some new data we've licensed to render rare characters that aren't included in our font files, but we're not quite yet at a point where we're happy with that rendering (and there'd still be a lot of custom coding involved to actually link to those characters).

Not sure about 熟人, that sounds like it might just be an omission on their end.