2.0.0 Bug Report Thread

delectric

This has probably been mentioned alread but when I go to EDIT - COPY it doesn't work really annoying as it takes longer to press the screen and press the 'popup' copy.

mfcb

状元
mikelove said:
mfcb - how did you remap this card? Using the Batch command, or by going into Edit Card and changing which entry it linked to? The definition in Edit Card will only update after you tap on the Search button (next to the Input Field on that screen) so that could be the problem here.

after a search for the card, i opened the card info, from there "Edit card", and of course i also pressed the search button ...
i tried it with other cards afterwards (with definitions), so i saw how it should have worked. the change of the card to english-chinese happened
because i tried to write pinyin with ZT4 into the headword field, but the keyboard had "abc" mode selected... tried to reproduce this just now, but could not with a "normal card", if i enter "fe" into the headword field, it searches for the pinyin. with the defective card, it switched to the english-chinese dictionaries ???

i think i have another card without definition, but i don't remember the headword right now, so when i encounter it, i'll try again...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
delectric - Where is Edit/Copy not working? Are you sure you've selected some text when you activate that command?

mfcb - strange, might be something screwed up with the language auto-detect code - not sure why that would have caused the card to come up blank, though.

_iOn_

Hi, I have a pretty annoying bug to report, although I'm not 100% sure that it's actually plecodict's fault.
The thing is, ever since I installed it (great software btw), I cannot read about 1/3 of the text messages I receive anymore. I just get "The contents of this message cannot be displayed", and that's it. I did not manage to isolate any common factor between messages I cannot read, some are short, some are long, some contain Chinese characters, some don't...it seems to be totally random.

Now, I know it seems kind of farfetched saying that plecodict could be linked to this problem, but it started happening right after I installed it. Is there anyway that this could be a side effect of one of the new features? Or messing with a file it shouldn't at install time, or whatever?

I'm running "Windows mobile 5.0 with the messaging and Security Feature Pack", and I also have CE Star installed (a piece of software that installs support of Chinese fonts and Chinese input on windows mobile), which worked fine with Plecodict 1.0.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot

daniel123

榜眼
I found a bug in the male voice. The word jian3ti3zi4 won't be pronounced as a knowing word but with separate syllables. I think it is a mistake because the female voice pronounces this as one word. Not so important but I just want to report.

Daniel

I have a problem with flashcard creation. I'm trying whenever possible to make my flashcards from Guifan rather than ABC, but quite a few (sometimes half) of the flashcards I create show up in my review sessions with the English, ABC definition. I've gone back and double checked to be sure that there is an entry in Guifan for each word in question, so that's not the problem.

radioman

状元
1) Is there anyway to do a search on a custom dictionary card definition to find the specific card? I am unfortunately not seeing it. If I do a full text search across all the dictionaries, I would expect to find a word embedded in my custom dictionary entry, but when I try it, it does not work. I am wondering if this is not the case.

2) Also, this won't be very useful due to lack of detail/repeatability, but I got a fatal exception 2 times under flashcard search settings. I select
- Manage flashcards
- Advanced
- find all cards where: ... then I select "Dictionary" and it fails, but only intermittently.

Also just a side note that I just changed out the digitizer on the E2, and the difference is astounding. Operating Pleco before was like the Hubble telescope when it had the faulty mirror. Now I can even practice writing and stroke order. Really great.

mfcb

状元
mfcb said:
i think i have another card without definition, but i don't remember the headword right now, so when i encounter it, i'll try again...

i found the card, but could not reproduce the before-mentioned problem.

anyway right now i think it has maybe to do with "losing" the SD-card. just had that problem again today, and several very similar things like i described before happened again (only user dict available, flashcards not showing headwords, additionally also dictionary entries not showing the hanzi (maybe because the font is on the SD as well), lost session of about 80 flashcards...)

right now i ALWAYS do sessions of about 50-100 cards and after that i QUIT pleco, and start it again for the next session. i have the feeling that the situation regarding "SDcard lost" worsens, maybe already the audio problems that i had before the final version were already caused by that !?!?

i think in these days i learn my vocab very well, because i not only try to remember it, but i also try to remember when i saw the vocab last and check if the score is strange, means if i see the card to early, hehe. although i like the effect (increased my scores from 90% to about 95%) i suspect i fill my brain with useless information :p

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
daniel123 - the original male recording for that was unusable, sadly, so we deleted it. Hence its presence in the female but not the male set.

whitebigsanitation - are you seeing a "Duplicate Card" alert when you create those Guifan-based cards? It could be that you already have ABC-based entries for the same words in your flashcard deck, in which case the default behavior would be to put the existing card in the new category.

radioman - there's no full-text search capability for custom flashcards or dictionary entries yet - the SQLite full-text search feature isn't supported in the version of SQLite that we use on Palm (and there's no possibility of updating it), and we don't plan to add that feature on Windows Mobile until we stop supporting Palm.

We'll take a look at the code for that other crash - it's specific enough that it might be findable even if we can't reproduce the problem. Glad to hear that changing the digitizer made a difference.

mfcb - are you storing your flashcards on your SD card now? Because you really shouldn't be - we haven't gotten SQLite to support SD cards on Windows Mobile correctly yet, so you're pretty much guaranteeing things will go badly if you move your flashcards / user dictionaries there.

If the flashcards are still in internal memory but the software's just losing its dictionaries / fonts, there may be some other problem here - how long have you had this SD card? Does it seem to be securely inserted in your handheld, not loose / shaky / etc?

ben_gb

探花
Hi,

I'm using Pleco 2.0.0a on an HTC Touch HD.

A couple of minor bugs to report:

1. In the dictionary list/searching screen, even if I have 'traditional characters' selected to display, it only shows simplified for any chinese characters that are displayed on that screen. However, when I go to the definition of a word, it does then display traditional characters properly in the definition. This even applies to the 'parts of speech' indicators (eg in Guifan), so verbs are shown in the list page as [动] instead of [動].

2. In the stroke-order display, for some characters, the font used is really blocky and horrid to look at, whereas other characters look like normal. I think this happens where there is a simplified and traditional version of the character. EG if you look at the stroke order for 動 and 动 the former is displayed in the blocky font, and the latter is displayed in a normal font.

3. In the flashcard section, the layout isn't very clear. If I test showing the chinese character first, then press reveal, it looks like the pinyin and english are just printed on the end of the same line as the chinese character (though it will wrap to the next line if there isn't enough space). It ends up looking quite messy. I think it would be better to have the character, pinyin and english definition all on separate lines, with a bit of white-space between them so each stands out more clearly.

Regards,
Ben

mfcb

状元
hmmm, in fact its a CF-Card that i am using, and its for sure not loose or shaky, hehe.
user dicts and flash cards i still have in internal memory...

one thing, yesterday i saw once, that when i switch my pda on, the "charging" symbol was still there, and after some seconds it changed to "battery". looks like it took some time to wake up, usually i start pleco/flashcard-session immediately, maybe in that kind of situation i get the problems.

anyway, these problems should be gone soon, at least for me, my new HTC Touch pro is already in my hands, *grin*...

gogo4200

Anyone else having problems with Pleco 2.0 crashing when inputing letters?

I am and have figured out the the problem is with CE Star Chinese input software. Need to switch back to the regular keyboard and then no problems. Strange.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ben_gb - on #1, do you mean that characters in definitions are displayed in simplified characters in the Entry List but not in the definition? That's odd... #2 unfortunately we can't do much about, it's in the nature of the data set we licensed (which didn't include traditional support at all until we paid them a great deal of money to add it specifically for us) - they should still be quite usable, they're just not as pretty as the simplified characters. #3 we've gotten a lot of comments about, but we wouldn't want to make that sort of change without making it optional, since I'm sure a lot of people prefer the current system as it allows more text to be seen on the screen at the same time.

mfcb - well a CF card is subject to the same driver issues, but still... perhaps we just need to set a longer timeout for files to reopen if Pleco finds they're inaccessible, that slow battery indicator change suggests the system's taking a very long time to turn back on.

gogo4200 - not sure what CE-Star would be doing that would cause crashes, but we'll take a look. Are you sure the characters you're entering are half-width and not full-width? (i.e., the spacing between them looks like it would with normal English text and isn't unusually wide)

ben_gb

探花
mikelove said:
ben_gb - on #1, do you mean that characters in definitions are displayed in simplified characters in the Entry List but not in the definition? That's odd... #2 unfortunately we can't do much about, it's in the nature of the data set we licensed (which didn't include traditional support at all until we paid them a great deal of money to add it specifically for us) - they should still be quite usable, they're just not as pretty as the simplified characters. #3 we've gotten a lot of comments about, but we wouldn't want to make that sort of change without making it optional, since I'm sure a lot of people prefer the current system as it allows more text to be seen on the screen at the same time.

Mike,

Re: #1..yes, the characters displayed in the entry list are in simp, but in the definition are traditional (I have the preference set to display traditional).

EDIT: I should say that the 'head' characters (on the left side of the entry list) are correctly displayed as traditional. It's the characters in the description/definition part that are wrongly displayed as simplified. I've attached an image to show you. If you then tap on the entry to show the definition, then the characters are then displayed correctly as traditional.

On #3, yes, I think an option to choose the layout would be fine for the flashcards. I understand that it is better for learning that flashcards "questions" and "answers" are kept short and with a clear layout.

Also, one other problem I've noticed... if my phone goes into standby (ie press the power button briefly) while running Pleco with the soft keyboard displayed, when it comes out of standby (press power button again), the keyboard display is not refreshed, so you just see part of the today screen in the space where the keyboard should be. You have to close and reopen the keyboard to get it back.

Regards,
Ben

Attachments

• pleco trad-simp problem.jpg
    pleco trad-simp problem.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 2,119

bglasow

举人
HTC Diamond, Pleco 2.0.0.a, CE_Star

A few minor things I've found:

(1) When running flashcard sessions under a multiple choice test, I still find from time to time the statistics at the end have incorrect values for the number of cards answered correct/incorrect. I always do 10 card sessions, but they sometimes add to a total of 11 or 12 in the statistics. This seems to happen primarily when I have saved and restarted a session once or twice before finishing, but I have not been able to isolate the exact circumstances under which it occurs.

(Applicable Settings: Alternating Subject Selection, Frequency Adjust, Don't Repeat Cards in Session, Loop Incorrect At End, 5 Multi-Choice, Automatics Scoring, Aggressiveness 3, Change Once Per Day, Force Defs From Dictionary with Fallback

(2) Normally when I return to the Homepage of Windows Mobile (TouchFLO 3D) I have an IA icon at the taskbar at top. It is usually the leftmost icon not counting the Start menu itself. Pressing my IA Icon takes me to Pleco. But I have found the icon often becomes unresponsive after some time. Clicking it just does nothing. This usually happens when I get enough so many icons on the taskbar so that it loads into the second line. (I think this is standard Windows Mobile functionality and not specific to TouchFLO 3D - when there are too many icons to display, it shows a message bubble icon. Clicking that pops up a second row of the remaining icons on the taskbar). If I clear out some of the other icons on the taskbar (by responding to my notifications and checking any unread messages) then IA goes back to the top line of the taskbar and starts working again.

(Applicable Settings: I have Instant Access turned on from Program Activate and Taskbar Icon with Clipboard Lookup on Non-IA activate)

(3) This one may be by design but it seems a but strange. I have one profile setup with Scoring set to None. Other settings are kept the same as in #1 above. Everything works great for multiple choice flashcard tests. But when I try to do a Self-scored test (because I want to review my writing in the big sketch box) it gives me no option to choose correct or incorrect after revealing the card. So it assumes everything is incorrect and just loops through them again at the end. Turning off the loop incorrect in advanced settings of course does the trick, but then I have to remember to go back into Advanced settings and turn it back on when I go back to the multiple choice test. It seems strange that the other test types can still handle looping when the scoring set to none but self-scored cannot because there is no way to tell it if the card is correct or incorrect.

Regards,
Brian

renovator

榜眼
bglasow said:
HTC Diamond, Pleco 2.0.0.a, CE_Star

A few minor things I've found:

(2) Normally when I return to the Homepage of Windows Mobile (TouchFLO 3D) I have an IA icon at the taskbar at top. It is usually the leftmost icon not counting the Start menu itself. Pressing my IA Icon takes me to Pleco. But I have found the icon often becomes unresponsive after some time. Clicking it just does nothing. This usually happens when I get enough so many icons on the taskbar so that it loads into the second line. (I think this is standard Windows Mobile functionality and not specific to TouchFLO 3D - when there are too many icons to display, it shows a message bubble icon. Clicking that pops up a second row of the remaining icons on the taskbar). If I clear out some of the other icons on the taskbar (by responding to my notifications and checking any unread messages) then IA goes back to the top line of the taskbar and starts working again.

What you may want to consider on the HTC Touch Diamond is to assign the telephone Talk/Send button (The one just under the home button) to launch Pleco. This can be done at Settings>Buttons>Button1(Hold) assign PlecoLaunch under assign a program. Then you can just press and hold that button anytime you are in any application on your phone and get right to Pleco. That is what I did to mine right after receiving my phone several months ago and it works great. I know that does not fix the problem you have, but does possibly give you an alternate solution.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ben_gb - OK, we've found/fixed the Entry List problem now - for some reason we seem to have completely forgotten to set the flag that tells the software to render definitions in traditional characters when reading the text for those list items. (surprised nobody mentioned this before now, actually)

We've had one or two other reports of screen refresh problems now, so there's definitely something askew in there.

bglasow - we'll see what we can find with these screwed-up session statistics. The IA taskbar icon honestly just isn't something we're very happy with in general (since it screws up the secondary menu button in the Today screen, among other things) - in fact we've been tempted to take it out altogether, though we probably won't at least until 2.1. So for right now I'd definitely assign Pleco or PlecoLaunch to one of your phone's regular hardware buttons (or put it in the Start menu, that should also work).

That Next button in Self-scored was indeed added by design, but we completely forgot about the possibility of people using the review incorrect option with it (tough to think through every one of these combinations :) ) - should be easy to fix for 2.0.1.

Tapcis Palm

I continue to have crashes about once a week. Today I had one at the end of a flashcard session that was resumes the next day. It had a memory pointer error, and totally wiped out the unit to the point where it wouldn't reboot. Had to erase all memory and start from the ROM before it would even boot up. :(

I think most of my issues have revolved around this usage mode, of flashcards and saved sessions. Can't be sure of that, but even when it happens somewhere else in the dictionary interface, a suspended flashcard session was somewhere back in history ... (I think)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Could be that the mere presence of the saved session file is making you low on storage memory, though on a 128 MB Zodiac that seems doubtful... there certainly might still be some bugs lurking in the saved session code, though.

Every time I've checked memory, there was about 2/3 empty/available, but of course I can't check just before the crash - haha. But, I don't use the Tapcis for anything else ,except an occasional memo about a new feature or problem with Pleco :)