2.0.0 Bug Report Thread

Alexis

状元
"Re-ordering categories in manage categories causes the 'select categories' in new flashcard session to be out-of-sync" bug:

I had a category A with sub-categories:
A1
A2
A3
A4
A5
A6

In my flashcard session I had checked A1-A4.

Afterwards, I went to "manage categories" and reversed the order of the sub-categories:

A6
A5
A4
A3
A2
A1

When I went to start a new flashcard session, it started to include flashcards from A6-A5 (and I suspect not include any from A1-A2). The checkmarks still indicated that A1-A4 was selected.

Unchecking the categories, then rechecking the subcategories in the new flashcard session screen fixed up this problem.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges - probably not memory, then. Not sure what else it might be... maybe something relating to the use of PDBs for flashcard database storage (unlike on newer OS 5.4-based devices where we store them in that hidden internal flash drive), though that doesn't have much to do with saved sessions in particular... hopefully something else will help isolate the problem.

Alexis - I just tested this and it seems to work correctly here (though I only put one card in each category) - are you sure those cards you were seeing from A5/A6 weren't also in A1-A4? We don't save out the selected categories' positions, only their internal ID codes, so it's unlikely that reordering the categories would confuse the system - each time you bring up that category tree it scans through it for categories with IDs in the list of previously-selected categories and checks them, and each time you start as session and adds the ID of any checked category to a list.

Sorry if this was mentioned before, but I don't recall it.

Full text search is currently case sensitive, at least across dictionaries. It shouldn't be.

Try searching for "Harvard" (the school), for example. Then search for "harvard"

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I'm not seeing that here - both "#harvard" and "#Harvard" come up with the same sets of results. (ah, good old 哈尔滨佛学院)

How have you got your search-related preferences configured? Was this as an explicit full-text search or a fallback one?

renovator

榜眼
This is more a usibility problem than a bug. Is it possible to disable the right hand bottom most box in the QWERTY keyboard or make it just like the box above it with a back arrow? There is nothing more frustrating than trying to correct an entry that has an error by placing stylus a little too low on the back arrow box to find it activated the bottom right hand box instead of the back arrow. That error advances you to the next step and creates a wrong card (A real score killer sometimes). This usually happens when multiple taps are required to erase a problem.

Or maybe have that bottom right hand box wipe everything that was input for that card.

bglasow

举人
Over the past month or two I've had the feeling some of my flashcards were not getting their scores updated properly. After specifically watching a few today that did not update after answering them correctly, I did a search under Manage Flashcards.

I found that I have 39 flashcards with a score of 100 and last correct = "Y". I checked the info on those and many of these have records of 6-0 or 5-0. So it seems they are stuck on score=100 for some reason. I have my scoring profile set to automatic, change once per day and I'm doing multiple choice frequency adjusted tests with alternating subject selection. I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't be updating their scores- the other 1000 or so flashcards that I've been working on are updating just fine. Any ideas if there is something else I'm missing?

Pleco 2.0.0a

Thanks,
Brian

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
renovator - I'm not sure if I understand - which box are you referring to? Is this showing up on your phone's built-in QWERTY keyboard or in Pleco's?

bglasow - that's odd... could you send me a copy of your flashcard database? (should be in your handheld's My Documents folder) Perhaps there's something in there that'll shed some light on this - my first guess would be that the dates in the flashcard records were somehow screwed up, so that the last correct / last incorrect times are in the future and hence the software will always think the score has been changed too recently to change it again. When did you first create this flashcard database, in 2.0.0a or in one of the beta versions?

renovator

榜眼
mikelove said:
renovator - I'm not sure if I understand - which box are you referring to? Is this showing up on your phone's built-in QWERTY keyboard or in Pleco's?

Pleco's QWERTY keyboard, bottom right hand box. The one directly under the back arrow

...last correct / last incorrect times are in the future and hence...

Just a thought... could you just check for date difference of 1 day, and then update? At most that would mean 3 days of no updates, assuming the clocks are advancing :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
renovator - you mean the button that clears the Input Field?

stephanhodges - actually we don't even need to check the difference, if the date's in the future then we should automatically OK the update - all of the dates are kept in GMT, so unless someone's invented a Flux Capacitor the only way for the date to be in the future is if there's a bug.

renovator

榜眼
mikelove said:
renovator - you mean the button that clears the Input Field?

I mean the only key that has no marking on it what so ever on the Pleco QWERTY. There are 35 keys that can be pressed on the QWERTY, only 1 of those keys does not have any marking on it, the bottom right hand key. That is the problem key. It does not clear the input field, moves the cursor to the next box. I wish it did clear the input field.

last line of keys from left to right go z x c u b n m ' _ blank The input key to the far right is blank and has nothing on it as a character at all. If you press on this blank key it moves the cursor to the next box. I am calling a box, the outlined box that is populated with pin yin for each character.

renovator

榜眼
Attached is a picture with an arrow to the problem key

Attachments

• freepyresult[1].gif
    freepyresult[1].gif
    7 KB · Views: 2,161

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Ah, that explains it - for some reason I didn't realize you were talking about flashcard sessions (though you were in the Edit Card screen instead). Would it be OK as long as that button only flipped between boxes and didn't advance you to the next screen if you were already in the last box?

renovator

榜眼
mikelove said:
Ah, that explains it - for some reason I didn't realize you were talking about flashcard sessions (though you were in the Edit Card screen instead). Would it be OK as long as that button only flipped between boxes and didn't advance you to the next screen if you were already in the last box?

Flipping between boxes, preferably in back order rather than forward order would work (because one would normally use that box to correct a mistake). I never use that box at this time to go forward because too often it sends me to the next screen and counts that card as a mistake, but what you propose would elliminate that problem. So, going in the order it goes now would work fine as you propose as long as it does not advance you to the next screen.

Making it do the same as the box above with the back arrow would work as well. Wiping out the input in all the boxes would work too, so you have plenty of choices. I will be more careful in the future to explain which part of the program I am using when a problem occurs.

This screen also has a problem as I noted in previous thread that when you click on a tone, sometimes a double click occurs in error which puts a number in the next box and advances you to the next screen showing an error on the current word. A card should not be considered done if there is a box with just a number in it. This is also sometimes a problem with a null value. Box just turns red with nothing in it and counts the card as wrong (also seem to be something caused by some form of double click).

anchan42

探花
I am not sure if this is the place to report dictionary entry error but here it is.

Attachments

• Snap-C568122E.jpg
    Snap-C568122E.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 2,090

sunyata

Using my lowly Axim X30 with a 2GB card and practically nothing else installed, I have frequent crashes with character recognition. It seems to happen more often if I don't shut down Pleco in between uses. When I hit the character recognition button, Pleco simply shuts down. There's no record of my crashed search on the drop-down bar. All in all, though, I am really happy with the new version.

cming

秀才
Freezing during flashcard sessions.

Midway through a "Frequency adjust" flashcard session upon clicking the 字 character to recognize the HW input, the button remains highlighted and the screen freezes completely. Continuing to click on the screen causes Pleco to continue through the flashcards (quite happily), and play the audio for the next card, but the SCREEN REMAINS COMPLETELY FROZEN. Fixed by Soft Reset.

Up until today I had only been using Repitition-based sessions, and it has frozen 3 times today, with TouchFlo3D on AND off. Touch. TouchFlo 3D is much improved on this device, and hasn't caused any other detectable problems, so I'm guessing this could be somehow related to dispay rendering.

Test type: Free-answer, show Audio, ask Headword.

HTC Touch Pro, WM 6.1, Pleco 2.0.0 (only) Card install, TouchFlo3D on.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
renovator - OK, that's probably easier. Bounce-checking the keyboard would be difficult, unfortunately, since an accidental tap for one person is a reasonable interval between key presses for another one - we'd need Yet Another Virtually Unused Preferences Setting to let people customize the bounce-check interval, which most people would inevitably not find, so we'd end up having to leave it turned off by default (since missing keystrokes is much more annoying / feels more like a bug than accidentally hitting a key twice) which means it wouldn't get enough use to justify implementing it.

anchan42 - quite a few errors like this in ABC, actually; the printed version doesn't even have characters in its example sentences so they're not quite as thoroughly proofread as other parts of the database.

sunyata - hmm... did you move the handwriting recognizer file (PlecoHWR.dll) to your memory card by any chance? Because that would actually explain this behavior almost perfectly.

cming - OK, we'll take a look at this but it may be tough to reproduce/fix since we haven't gotten a lot of other reports of it.

anchan42

探花
mikelove said:
anchan42 - quite a few errors like this in ABC, actually; the printed version doesn't even have characters in its example sentences so they're not quite as thoroughly proofread as other parts of the database.

Is it any help to report this kind of problems? I have got a feeling that you can programe the computer to check this for you. If that is the case, I will stop reporting this kind of errors. P.S. Found another one last night but not sure where it's gone now. :)

renovator

榜眼
cming said:
Freezing during flashcard sessions.

Midway through a "Frequency adjust" flashcard session upon clicking the 字 character to recognize the HW input, the button remains highlighted and the screen freezes completely. Continuing to click on the screen causes Pleco to continue through the flashcards (quite happily), and play the audio for the next card, but the SCREEN REMAINS COMPLETELY FROZEN. Fixed by Soft Reset.

Up until today I had only been using Repitition-based sessions, and it has frozen 3 times today, with TouchFlo3D on AND off. Touch. TouchFlo 3D is much improved on this device, and hasn't caused any other detectable problems, so I'm guessing this could be somehow related to dispay rendering.

Test type: Free-answer, show Audio, ask Headword.

HTC Touch Pro, WM 6.1, Pleco 2.0.0 (only) Card install, TouchFlo3D on.

I have had Pleco on HTC Touch Diamond for several months now, both 1.0 and 2.0.0, and TouchFlo3D has never given me any problems. Some of my sessions are Repitition-based and some Frequency adjust. The only difference is that my test types are all Free-Answer, Show Headword, ask Pronunciation. My model, of course, does not have card or keyboard. See if a change of Test type is what is causing your problem.